How is the best way to clean pips

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do you need to clean them? I have never cleaned my short pips. Never seen a reason to, but maybe i would.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Armour All the crap outta it... then let dry on dashboard of car window on sunny day in summer from 1000 to 1900... that outta do the job.

I don't think that will work, would make them frictionless, the opposite of my goal, could you try that with your best inverted rubber paddle, might work, let me know how it works to make you some nice anti.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looks like you took my comments with the proper amount of a truckload grain of salt.

My serious answer would be a lemon juice and olive oil scrub, wipe off, followed by a toothbrush and toothpaste scrub, followed by a water/toothbrush rinse, followed by a towel pat-down and a few minutes of no heat hair dryer.

That will get them to OEM restored.

If you want MOAR friction, scruff the pips up with a small METAL brush, the ones you see in the car care section at Walmart. this will give you a LOT moar friction, but will also make it much easier for them to get clogged dirty... so you will need a monthly scrub routine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I still wonder if we need to clean them? What kind of pips are they? short or long? I doubt you will get more friction from cleaning them. Do not think there are much dust and shit on the pips.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I still wonder if we need to clean them? What kind of pips are they? short or long? I doubt you will get more friction from cleaning them. Do not think there are much dust and shit on the pips.

Lula,

Maybe where you play, the air is clean, people actually bring court shoes and change into them at the venue... etc...

… but in many other places I have been, those are not the playing conditions. Maybe the top of the pips are less dirty with crud, because the impact of the ball takes some of it off, but with time, it can really build up. Cleaning is needed and the interval required will vary, but cleaning will be needed for sure.

Some players who play with less spin and want a more spin sensitive setup can like some crud build-up, suits them to a T. There are inverted players that way too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015

Yes, there may be some do do on the pips with all the yard dogs playing without a scooper.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is also a product sold to commercial printing press outfits that is designed to clean the worst possible build-up on rubber rollers used for the press. It comes in a spray can, other uses are for restoring laser/ink-jet printer rollers that cause jams. Handy to have a can around.

Such a product used to be really popular as recent as the 80s.

This product likely uses some industrial heavy-duty VOCs and Solvents to do the job, so I would recommend a lemon juice/olive oil job immediately afterwards.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am with Lula. I have never known a pips player, long or short pips, who wanted to clean their pips.

There is an old joke though. That if you want to get a pips player mad and get inside their head, clean their pips in the crossover during a match. :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I clean my pips as often as I clean my balls;) haha.

On a more serious note, damp rubber cleaning sponge (yinhe, DHS) works good, they do not leave lints.

Rubber cleaning formula has detergents in them, I find they leave a residue which actually decreases grip. Water alone works fine.

For heavy cleaning, water+toothbrush works. Don't worry about water getting in the sponge, wait to dry, no major harm. Although by the point you need this, may be time to get a new sheet.

Der Echtes roller rejuvenater might give some tackiness and I'm guessing its the same as spinmax. Never tried, not sure if legal.