How is the best way to clean pips

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
ITTF can also bitcvh and moan about all the commercial rubber cleaners sold by TT outfits as well. ITTF would have a rubberish argument.

Well, if we are going down this route, lighter fluid+tooth brush=cleaner than new!

PS, your red pips may turn pink.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, if we are going down this route, lighter fluid+tooth brush=cleaner than new!

PS, your red pips may turn pink.

5 gallon can of JP8 and a match or two can clean anything. :D Lighter fluid is crap for a topsheet.

Many TT store sold cleaners have additives (some have oil - oil is also a tuning agent and supposed to be illegal)… but ITTF isn't in a hurry to bring lawsuits and lawyers into the mix... even if is against the exact rules ITTF made (no treatment - cleaning the rubber is a treatment, restoring it is a treatment) ITTF has no common sense, we TT players should.

If anyone wants to report Der_Echte to the Chief of ITTF Goon Squad for cleaning the crap off his rubber with the cleaning material of his choice, the tribunals are open for business.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
You wait for it to dry/settle first. Besides, expanded long pips are all the craze aren't they?

If nothing works, you can lick them.

But honestly, damp sponge, toothbrush if you really need it. Nothing more.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Clean_brush_894x.jpg

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Simas,

That's just overkill.

While you are at it, might as well give your pips a badger brush lather treatment. Hot towel pre-and witch hazel post are an extra indulgent. A splash of bay rum will make the pips look AND smell new.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Simas,

That's just overkill.

While you are at it, might as well give your pips a badger brush lather treatment. Hot towel pre-and witch hazel post are an extra indulgent. A splash of bay rum will make the pips look AND smell new.

I don't have pips, so I'm no expert here. Just remembered that I saw such a thing when I was browsing Butterfly and was surprised such thing existed :) But it looks quite handy :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I don't have pips, so I'm no expert here. Just remembered that I saw such a thing when I was browsing Butterfly and was surprised such thing existed :) But it looks quite handy :)

I've had that butterfly brush thing for years. Works fine for what it does, or as my earlier suggestion - just get a toothbrush with stiffer bristles!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
use to play pips. Don't now but.

With LPs? - No need to ever clean them.

With SPs? - Because they are suppose to grip a little i did use water and a pips brush like Simas posted. Think it was like $3 so I could swing it. ;) Wouldn't clean every time but every now & then. Don't know if it made much of a difference but i did it anyways.