Wierd vibrations in new racket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hello, I recently started playing again after a five year break. I used to play with a Timo Boll ZLF blade and when I started to play again this autumn I bought a pair of Xiom Omega VII rubbers for it. Last week I got the idea to try out an all wood blade that is a bit slower so I bought an Andro Temper Tech off- blade paired with Hurricane 8 on forehand (was curious to try out chinese rubber) and Rasanter R47 on backhand. I initially glued the rubbers with traditional speed glue and was quite impressed. Felt like I had good control whilst still having high speed and I felt some feedback from the blade in my hand. However, my rasanter refused to stay on the blade for more than 30 min before I had to reglue it. On my second practise at my club i borrowed some Andro TURBO FIX water-based glue and reglued my rasanter with. After that the blade vibrates like a washing machine on some backhand shots and feels nice with "the right" amount of feedback in other shots. It feels like it mainly vibrates like crazy when I hit the ball in the middle of the racket.

This is very disturbing since it feels like I dont have any controll in either my backhand loobs, pushes or blocks when it vibrates like this.

Any idea to why I feel this huge difference when using different kinds of glue? I dont feel the same way when hitting with the hurricane (stille glued using speed glue). The rasanter is 2.3mm sponge thickness.

EDIT:
Another question, when the hurricane was brand new it was super-tacky. I could just place the ball on top of it and turn the racket over and the ball would remain on the rubber. Like one hour into the first practise with it the tackyness was gone. Even when applying force to the ball it would only stay on the rubber for a fraction of a second. Anyone know the reason for this and how I can get the tackyness back?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Never used speed glue, so cannot talk on that, but the tackiness usually wears off as dust gets on the paddle. You need to wipe it off every now and then to get some of the tackiness back. I also wipe it clean with water after use and put a sheet protector on it so dust doesn't settle on top when I'm not playing. Tacky is high maintenance IMO, but it's effects are unique and worthwhile for many. I've stopped using as I'm a lazy bum :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
About the loss of tackiness: I've read speculations about this and some people claim that there's some kind of chemical on the top sheet when it's delivered from the factory and that this wears off quite quickly.

One important note if you want to keep the tackiness for as long as possible is to use protective sheets (not the sticky ones) directly after your session. Wipe off the rubber with water or a good cleaner and put on the protective sheet.

This user has no status.
About the loss of tackiness: I've read speculations about this and some people claim that there's some kind of chemical on the top sheet when it's delivered from the factory and that this wears off quite quickly

Ok, I feel like there's a bit of misconception about the tackiness here. The "chemical that wears off quickly" is a water soluble glue that keeps the thin plastic film on the new rubber. All the Chinese tacky rubbers use it. Some tacky rubbers have this explanations on the inside of their packaging. I asked a friend who can read Chinese about this and he confirmed it.

This glue makes the rubber more tacky than intended, so when it wears off after a play session, many people think there's something wrong.

Conversely, some people try tacky rubber for the first time; they play one session and walk away thinking tacky rubbers are super slow due to the glue not wearing off completely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it sounds like that the rubber is not attached properly or/and good enough. I mean the rubber is kind of loose so that is why it vibrates. That would answer why you feel it after you reglued.

Reactions: whocarez and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hello, I recently started playing again after a five year break. I used to play with a Timo Boll ZLF blade and when I started to play again this autumn I bought a pair of Xiom Omega VII rubbers for it. Last week I got the idea to try out an all wood blade that is a bit slower so I bought an Andro Temper Tech off- blade paired with Hurricane 8 on forehand (was curious to try out chinese rubber) and Rasanter R47 on backhand. I initially glued the rubbers with traditional speed glue and was quite impressed. Felt like I had good control whilst still having high speed and I felt some feedback from the blade in my hand. However, my rasanter refused to stay on the blade for more than 30 min before I had to reglue it. On my second practise at my club i borrowed some Andro TURBO FIX water-based glue and reglued my rasanter with. After that the blade vibrates like a washing machine on some backhand shots and feels nice with "the right" amount of feedback in other shots. It feels like it mainly vibrates like crazy when I hit the ball in the middle of the racket.

This is very disturbing since it feels like I dont have any controll in either my backhand loobs, pushes or blocks when it vibrates like this.

Any idea to why I feel this huge difference when using different kinds of glue? I dont feel the same way when hitting with the hurricane (stille glued using speed glue). The rasanter is 2.3mm sponge thickness.

I think Lula's spot on.
One of the first times I used wbg some years back i was too impatient and didn't wait for the wbg to fully dry and I had the same vibrating feeling.

You do know that wbg needs to FULLY dry until it becomes transparent before you can attach rubbers.
So if you glued on the rubber in your club it sounds to me as if the glue just didn't dry properly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I think Lula's spot on.
One of the first times I used wbg some years back i was too impatient and didn't wait for the wbg to fully dry and I had the same vibrating feeling.

You do know that wbg needs to FULLY dry until it becomes transparent before you can attach rubbers.
So if you glued on the rubber in your club it sounds to me as if the glue just didn't dry properly.
Interesting.
I have this feeling using Donic Vario Clean, didn't have it with DHS no15, and I do know that the DHS glue dries faster.
It fits perfectly with the explanation.
But I always wait for the glue to become fully transparent. Maybe I should wait even more and test it.

But if the rubber is loose, shouldn't the ball die when hitting the loose spot? It only differs on sound and feel for me, but the speed is the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Thanks for all the responses! I feel like usualsuspect nailed the tackyness question.

The blade is brand new and does not have any cracks in it, checked that. The theory about the rubber not being fully attached sounds promising. I let the glue dry both on the rubber and the blade but as someone mentioned, I glued at the club and might have been to excited to start playing that I let it dry for a minute or two too short, will remove the rubber and reglue it once again.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
About vibration. Speedglued rubber is like floating on top of the blade and that´s why your blade didn´t feel like vibrating too much at first. When you glued rubbers with wbg they bonded more tightly to your blade and with wbg you feel the true vibration of your blade. I might be wrong here but I still remember when I stopped speedgluing I had to change my blade right away because I felt that my old 5 ply allwood blade vibrated a lot and that is one thing that I really dislike. I do hope that in your case it´s just a matter of a bad glue job.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Please post here if it worked or not. I may try it too.
So I reglued earlier today, waited for the glue to become fully transparent before putting the racket together, and I still feel the same vibrations. Tommy16 might be on to something with his explanation and if he is right I think that I am just not familiar with the wood-feel since I haven't used an all wooden blade since I was like 9 or 10 years old (way to early to move to carbon blades, I know)

Reactions: lVegita