Equipment upgrade advice needed

This user has no status.
Hey all,

I'm after some advice on upgrading my equipment. I've been playing with a Yasaka Sweden Extra penhold blade with Rakza 7 soft 2.0 mm on both sides for about 3 months now and feel fairly comfortable with it but I find that when I hit really hard the rubber bottoms out and I can feel the impact of the ball against the blade. Also I feel that I'm ready for a setup with a little more speed and spin, though preferable still something with good control (I value control more than speed but if there's something just a bit faster that would be great).

My playing style involves a lot of looping but sometimes I just block instead of looping back opponent's topspins. I also enjoy playing with a lot of spin, especially close to the table. I don't have a formal rating but will start playing competitively next month.

Would anyone good with equipment be able to give some recommendations? Should I upgrade my blade, rubber or both, or should I just stick with my current setup for a while longer since I'm fairly happy with it already?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If you are happy with your set up now and just want to avoid bottoming out, the get a regular Rakza 7 (harder). Minimum change to keep you on the right learning track.

You will know when you need to change your blade when you get there.

Reactions: langel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
The 2 Rakzas have the same topsheet, so sponge hardness is the only difference. I Would say the regular Rakza has more spin "potential" on brush strokes because of less give in the sponge. Speed? The soft is bouncier on low impact, but the regular has a higher top-end speed.