Table tennis player needs help - Please read, help if you can and share. Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Hello, first of all thank you that you read that. It means a lot. I would mean even more if you share that. This is a story for a very close friend of mine which is a decent table tennis player.

For some unknown reason the tabletennis world is full of edgy characters. Maybe because it is an individual sport, or because the game is so fast, or some other reason. I don’t know. In the next few lines, however, I am going to write about a person who is the opposite of edgy. Emil Yordanov is one of those players who congratulates the winner after the match or raises a hand the moment he sees an edge, long before the opponent reacts. Emil is a person who will agree to replay a point even when it’s 9:9.

A few weeks ago I played with Emil a survival match that would decide which team would be out of the group - our team or theirs. The day before he had told me about his serious health problems and his concerns about the future. It was not obvious he was experiencing any problems while he was playing - good backhand block, stable forehand topspin and good receiving. He won the first game to 10. The second one to 9. During the third game the pressure inside me had built so much that I didn’t want anything else but to win.

I remembered very well what he had told me the previous day and I couldn’t understand why I wanted the victory so badly in this exact moment. At 7:7 my backhand counterspin was in and something broke inside me. We play games not to wage wars, but in this particular moment he was my enemy. My desire to win was insatiable. Every time I shouted “Choo!”, every time I raised my fist in the air, I heard a voice inside telling me I was doing something wrong while Emil was facing something terrible. And yet all I wanted was to beat him. This victory has been haunting me ever since. Especially the moment when after the match Emil came to me and shook my hand. He was tired, he was good, he was forgiving.

As it has turned out, his fears have been confirmed and now he is fighting a deadly disease, ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). I was devastated when I heard the news. I was not concerned about him, however, as much as I was concerned about his family. He has two children - a five-year-old boy and a girl under one.

Interestingly, I have found Emil’s disease a chance for me. For us. Through his ordeal, I could become a better person. I could make my life more meaningful. I could understand what life is really about.

Right now, Emil needs money for his treatment. To find it, however, is quite difficult. It is like losing a match with 0:2 and 0:7. Every player knows you shouldn’t stop fighting. You should do everything possible to win even though the odds are against you.

In order to raise the money we are addressing the tennis community all over the world. Thanks to this forum. At the moment every cent is important. If you can help Emil, we will be very grateful. If you join us, we will create a wave and we will win this match. Currently almost every table tennis club in Bulgaria is organising a charity event in his support.

Unlike my last match with Emil, this one is a fight worth screaming for. A fight in which the fist is in the air for something good. A fight that will make us better people. Thanks to Emil.

If you are able to help raising money please use his PayPal account [email protected]. You could be in great help if you share that story. This is the only way to reach more people. Thank you very much for reading that far.

Here are some YouTube videos where Emil was playing:
[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]

<strike></strike>

Attachments

• emo-playing-3.jpg
    emo-playing-3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 382
  • emo-playing-2.jpg
    emo-playing-2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 330
  • emo-with-his-boy.jpg
    emo-with-his-boy.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 333
  • emil-yordanov-family.jpg
    emil-yordanov-family.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I know Emil and I can say that he is really a great person. He is not just a table tennis player, but he is a true table tennis ambassador. He trains children, organizes tournaments and fights for the future of table tennis.
But now he has to fight for something greater. For his own life. For the future of his own family and for his young children.
Here in Bulgaria, we are trying to help him in every possible way and believe that there is always hope even at such a difficult moment. Let's help him. Let's give him hope.

This user has no status.
I also know Emo. A great player, a unique person, and a wonderful friend.
I appeal to all: Please let all of us together give this good boy a chance !!! He deserves it!!! He is one of us !!!His therapy and treatment cost hundreds of thousands of euros that are impossible for his family.I believe in your sympathy and I believe there are good people here!!!

As a sign of support, our club will also organize a charity tournament on 06.04.2019.

I believe we will all win this battle together and we will succeed because we are very and we are strong !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I have to say that the first weekend of tournaments for Emo was a great success. 7 tournaments in different locations in Bulgaria, 30+ players on almost each tournaments. And another 20+ tournaments are coming in the next few weeks :)

All of them here in Bulgaria. This made me think that we could do even better. What do you think is it possible to make a table tennis tournament for Emil in your club? I mean in clubs which are not in Bulgaria? It is fun, it would be for charity and also it would be a great thing for table tennis in general.

Right now the national medias in Bulgaria spreading the news about our table tennis tournaments. The news are focused on the fact that people in entire country are uniting for charity. However, if we do that internationally, than it could go to the biggest media worldwide with a message about table tennis and how this sport can unite people from different countries for something good.

So, if you like the idea to make some of your regular tournaments or to create a new one for Emil, please contact me to spread the news :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
blade.jpgOne of Bulgarian national players Teodor Alexandrov offers his blade on charity auction for Emil. So far the highest offered price is 250 EUR. Everybody could join the charity auction. Here is his message:

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)]I am auctioning the wooden blade I won four gold medals with at the 2007 Republican table tennis championship - in the individual, pairs, mixed pairs and team category. The wooden blade (Timo Boll T5000), signed by me, is not made by Butterfly anymore. The money will be used for Emil Yordanov’s treatment. End of bidding - 20:00, Sunday, March 31st, 2019! Starting amount - 150 BGN!
Anyone, who wishes to help Emil, can donate money here:
Emil Georgiev Yordanov
bic: RZBBBGSF BG02RZBB91554064805600
Paypal: [email protected]
[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]
[/COLOR]​