Dumb question on rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Last time I use to play table tennis seriously I never noticed rubbers were labeled 1.7-1.9mm
They were only 1.7mm or 1.9mm. Can someone please explain to me what it means if I am buying a rubber that is listed as 1.7-1.9mm. Both of my old rubbers flarestorm and flarestorm II have 1.9mm printed on the back and I was looking to get Spectol Blue 1.7mm but I can't seem to find it. It's only listed as 1.7-1.9mm

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No dumb questions! :)

I find it odd that they do not know how thick the sponge is.
I think they just mean the same thing, but write it differently. That 1.7-1.9 means that the rubber is available in those thickness options? But never heard of a sponge that is 1.8 thick so maybe i am totally wrong, and the guy above is correct.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
TSP list they rubbers in a range (unfortunately)

I think ask this question to the place you looking to purchase your Spectol Blue, and see if they are able to help you measure

Why do they do this? seems almost sloppy and unprofessional when other companies can do it? And TSP is a big brand i think.

Understand the hardness of the sponge, that seems more difficult for everyone to know for certain.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Thats very interesting. I appreciate everyones help. A rough range estimate is what I was thinking may have been the meaning but I was hoping the answer would be different. I guess I will need to buy the specula and hope it comes as a 1.7mm on the lower end rather than a 1.9mm.

How weird they don't give more specific numbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Why do they do this? seems almost sloppy and unprofessional when other companies can do it? And TSP is a big brand i think.

Understand the hardness of the sponge, that seems more difficult for everyone to know for certain.

They are simply more honest than most other brands, which will give you an estimate without their range of tolerances. In the real world there is no such thing as 1.7mm, but only 1.7mm +/- this or that much.
TSP in general is as trustworthy a brand as they come, in my experience.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
No dumb questions! :)

I find it odd that they do not know how thick the sponge is.
I think they just mean the same thing, but write it differently. That 1.7-1.9 means that the rubber is available in those thickness options? But never heard of a sponge that is 1.8 thick so maybe i am totally wrong, and the guy above is correct.

1.8mm rubbers definitely do exist. I've played Vega Pro in that thickness on BH, but that's not exceptional.

The process of sponge cutting apperently has substantial tolerances. I don't think a 0.1mm variation in sponge thickness matters all that much in practice, even 0.2mm is a minor (but notable) difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
TSP has strict control, hence they give a range.

also, rubber companies work backwards from Max, which is 4mm together with topsheet.
so say rubber 1 max 4mm has a 2.3mm sponge, then they will go 0.2mm down, to 2.1mm, 1.9mm, 1.7mm
it will be silly for the company to make a 1.8mm

then with Vega Pro, the Max is 2.2mm sponge, so they make 2.0mm and then 1.8mm sponges

So 1.8mm sponges does exist, but for some models only, likewise 1.7mm for some too.

Like I said, the best method is to ask the seller to help measure (if they can) on the sponge on hand, that will always be the most accurate

NDH

says Spin to win!
As others have said, when you see a "1.7 - 1.9" or whatever it may be, that's usually the company being honest (or their quality control is a little worse than others, and they will be producing more sponges with a different thickness).

Even Butterfly have a small tolerance in their sponges - It's just they don't tell you.

You might think you are getting a 2.1mm - But if you measured 1000 sponges, you'd get a few different readings.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
So, I guess the question that I'm curious if anyone has the answer to is, if Spectol Blue is listed as 1.7-1.9mm how thick are they technically trying to make the rubber? In a perfect world with no defects what would would the thickness be? Logic says 1.8mm plus or minus .1 but if that is the case what is Spectol Blue 1.4-1.7mm. (1.55mm plus or minus .15) What is the ideal thickness they are going for with that? 1.5/1.6mm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Just think of it as 1.6, 1.9, 2.1. Like what other posters have said, buying a sponge marked 2.0mm, you may get anything from 1.8-2.2. I never measured the TSP, but i'm guessing there's a good confidence interval you won't get anything surpassing the range they mentioned.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Just think of it as 1.6, 1.9, 2.1. Like what other posters have said, buying a sponge marked 2.0mm, you may get anything from 1.8-2.2. I never measured the TSP, but i'm guessing there's a good confidence interval you won't get anything surpassing the range they mentioned.

So, what are you saying a 1.7-1.9mm rubber is intended to be for thickness? Are you saying the 1.4-1.7mm is intended to be 1.6mm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yes, I would say that's a fair conclusion. 1.4-1.7 is "intended" to be 1.6 (rounded up), and 1.7-1.9 is "intended" to be 1.8. But it's really nit picking, personally I can't tell the difference 0.2mm makes. For Spectol, 1.7 is within TSP's 1.4-1.7 range, so just get that.