what makes a blade good at pushing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Hi

I tend to loose quite some points on the short game. Especially if the other player keeps pushing short all the time and I can’t attack, I often loose the point.

I play an andro temper tech all+ with tenergy 05fx on the FH and rozena as BH.

Recently I broke my blade during the first match of the evening and used a friends blade. He uses a Joola spirit off combinated with donic barracuda and desto f3 big slam. I won my matches with that blade. Not -by attacking but by pushing, blocking … All club members who saw the match came talking to me afterwards saying they have never seen me pushing so well and effortlessly.

1 week ago I played with a butterfly zlc apolonia (carbon) and had the identical feeling, though the joola was clearly the easiest

Is it because both are 7-ply and thus stiffer blades??

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Pushing is one of the most basic things a player should be able to do. But most of the players underestimate it and do not train it as needed. Generally a player doesn't have to choose his bat based on pushing, but a player should excercise pushing with what he has. For different players different rubbers would feel better or worse for pushing, but with enough training all will do.
I think that for you it would be much better to concentrate on what is your style and keep your equipment with it, and excercise some more pushing.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
ofcourse i will not select purely onnpushing. i just wondered what the reason could be that it goes effortlessly with some faster blades

like i said i broke my blade and was only playing the tenergy and rozena 1 season. dont know yet if i will stick with it

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Well, generally with a stffer blade you have a lower through. Same rubbers on a more flexy blade will have higher through.
Softer rubbers have lower arc with top spin. Rubbers with high top spin arc produce lower underspin arc. But with pushes you may feel it different, as softer rubbers are more direct and the ball rebounces at more narrow angle. Depending on your bat combination you will have different feel with pushes and it will differ dipending the way you push. In all cases you will need to read correctly the incoming spin and push with appropriate angle, force and direction. Stiffer blade may help your pushes, but you may find it not so good for looping. Harder sponges with softer tops heet may work well for pushes even on flexy blades. The softer the sponge the more sensible is the blade even with softer hits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
If using inverted rubber on both sides with at least 1.5mm sponge, pushing has nothing do with the blade other than affecting your grip which can affect your technique. The rubber is not penetrated enough to affect change unless using different rubbers which have different top sheets.

Your grip is the most important element if the rubbers are the same when changing blades.

Last edited: