How to Deal With Too Many Choices for Equipment You Already Own?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Explanation of Issue:
As a function of making blades (which I have mostly stopped doing, due to EJ-related issues associated with always having new things to test), I have had the opportunity to try out so many different blade styles and combinations. I bought quite a few rubber sheets for initial testing, so had lots of Vega Pro, Rakza 7, and others to peel off and keep sticking on new blade-builds - almost all rubber sheets are 2.0 thickness. I think I've finally found the blades that are most appealing to me, but the issue is I have 4 full setups that I love and cannot decide how to proceed. They're different enough that it seems like it would get in the way of me improving, since I'm not getting intimately familiar with one single setup if I'm constantly switching. At the present, I only have one person I can play with regularly that allows me to actually hit full-strokes at full-power - perhaps I'm holding onto so many options because I'm not constantly playing other high-level players and can't actually sort out which one is best all around for me. I may be moving to a bigger city with far more players in the next 6 months.

Question for Consideration:
How would you proceed with having too many good setups (certainly a problem of me having too much privilege)?

What I have:
1) 90 Gram OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH: Vega Pro, BH: Rakza 7.
Why I like it? Great control, great feeling.
What don't I like? Not sure - nothing? Perhaps a little slow?

2) 87 Gram Limba-Limba-Kiri, FH: Omega V Tour, BH: MX-P.
Why I like it? Harder FH rubber feels better for direct contact than above OSP, Spinnier BH than OSP.
What don't I like? I do not like MXP for passive blocks (seems to slip/go into net more often than any other rubber I use).

3) 90 Gram Walnut-European Larch-Kiri. FH/BH: Fastarc G-1.
Why I like it? Incredibly direct feel - very crisp, good control, and great speed.
What don't I like? More punishing if I'm sloppy (or am off in bat-angle) than other setups.

4) 93 Gram Limba-Limba-Western Red Cedar. FH: Vega Pro, BH: Rakza 7.
Why I like it? A little more power and tighter feel than OSP - was considering putting Fastarc G-1 on both sides to emulate what I like about OSP setup and G-1 on other blades (since it plays just like my OSP, and I seem to like slightly harder rubber for feel).
What don't I like? Nothing - it's just very similar to my OSP (except that I made it and have more pride in it), so it feels redundant with same exact rubber sheets (I initially put them on to make sure they WERE similar).

How Do I Play?

Approximately 1600 USATT player. Consistent but not extremely powerful FH Looper, powerful BH looper. Good pushes, but relatively weak FH serves and not the most tactical game sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Pick one you like using today, then hide the others away in an inconvenient place! EJ virus is like the 'bad influence' friend you like to hang out with because they're fun, but you know that lifestyle is only holding you back :p

Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Pick one you like using today, then hide the others away in an inconvenient place! EJ virus is like the 'bad influence' friend you like to hang out with because they're fun, but you know that lifestyle is only holding you back :p

Good idea - I should store them in some inconvenient place!

Pick one, stick to it, and the best way is just to sell the others so you don't have to think about this issue anymore

I've thought about this - it would really help if I only had one or two to worry about...

Stick with OSP, as from what you've mentioned it has the most control.
Try using G1 rubbers on it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

I think G1 on it would be amazing, or on the Limba-Limba-WRC I have...but then I'd still have 4 nice blade variations!

Sell off the heavier ones. They really suck. Find some fool like Der_Echte to pawn them off to.

No.

For real, it is perfectly acceptable to keep them all, you love them. Use the one most suited to your current and desired kind of play and play away.

I wouldn't want to spread the EJ problems to anyone else...so I'm doing people a service by keeping them. ;)

NDH

says Spin to win!
There have been a few threads recently which have all made me think of the same thing......

What do you enjoy about table tennis?

If it's winning and the competitive side of things - Spend your money on coaches and a decent set up (but stick with it once you find the one you like).

If it's the "equipment" side of things, and generally trying new rubbers/blades out - That's absolutely fine, enjoy it.

But don't expect to achieve your potential, because you'll forever be adjusting to new things.

I personally haven't played around with much equipment - I have an interest in it, sure - I always check what other people are using and might try it out for a few minutes...... But generally I stick with what I know.

That isn't to say I don't change.

After 10 or so years out of the sport, I came back and used a Schlager Carbon blade (very quick).

I then went to a Garaydia ZLC (still quick, but slower than the SC), and then I dropped again to the VS Unlimited.

From April onwards, I'll be using the Harimoto ALC (assuming it does what I think it will), and I have a feeling I'll stay with it for a very long time.

I've pretty much used a form of Tenergy throughout these last 5 years (T05, T64, T05 Hard), with a brief little stint with MX-S.

Personally, I enjoy the competitive side and improving - That's why I'm happy to pay for things like Tenergy.

Whilst I like testing new equipment - I wouldn't want to be spending loads on things that I wasn't going to use.

To answer the OP's question......

Use the blade that you feel is the best for you (you have the unique position of being able to try them all).

That's it - No need to overthink it.

Keep the others around if you want - But focus on just one.

Reactions: Suga D and Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The first step is to switch to the same rubbers on every blade. Rubbers generally have a bigger influence on how you play than blades, all other things being equal.

When you make the rubbers the same, keep what you like and put away the rest. Or they may just play similarly enough that you like all of them and can play interchangeably with them.

You will then develop a preference for one over time. But the rubber issues are more important than the blade issues in their effect on how you think of the setup.

Reactions: bobpuls and Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
The first step is to switch to the same rubbers on every blade. Rubbers generally have a bigger influence on how you play than blades, all other things being equal.

When you make the rubbers the same, keep what you like and put away the rest. Or they may just play similarly enough that you like all of them and can play interchangeably with them.

You will then develop a preference for one over time. But the rubber issues are more important than the blade issues in their effect on how you think of the setup.

I agree fully - when I started making blades, to keep all other factors the same I was putting vega pro on one side, rakza 7 on the other. Unfortunately, this is when my curiosity got the best of me and I acquired 1 or 2 sheets of those others. Like an idiot, I've only put Fastarc G-1 on harder, stiffer blades, so I have no idea how it would perform on the softer limba-limba blades I seem to prefer (3/4 are this configuration). I have reason to suspect that Fastarc G-1 on both sides would be my realistic ideal; however, it's hard to trust any of my own thoughts when it's clear I've been infected with the EJ-virus.

*I can't just switch the rubbers from one blade to another, as some of them have been switched so many times (even with relatively low actual play-times on them) that little bits of sponge are starting to come up when I peel the old glue off.

This user has no status.
I agree fully - when I started making blades, to keep all other factors the same I was putting vega pro on one side, rakza 7 on the other. Unfortunately, this is when my curiosity got the best of me and I acquired 1 or 2 sheets of those others. Like an idiot, I've only put Fastarc G-1 on harder, stiffer blades, so I have no idea how it would perform on the softer limba-limba blades I seem to prefer (3/4 are this configuration). I have reason to suspect that Fastarc G-1 on both sides would be my realistic ideal; however, it's hard to trust any of my own thoughts when it's clear I've been infected with the EJ-virus.

*I can't just switch the rubbers from one blade to another, as some of them have been switched so many times (even with relatively low actual play-times on them) that little bits of sponge are starting to come up when I peel the old glue off.

I used to peel glue off when I swap a rubber onto another blade. Then I realized it's next to impossible to peel them off without breaking the sponge, especially the cake sponges. I was able to peel them off on some of the Chinese rubber relatively easily, but their sponge is a bit more rubbery. I just stopped bothering with peeling off glue in the end and just put another layer of glue on top of the first one. It has worked fine for me.

Reactions: yoass and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I used to peel glue off when I swap a rubber onto another blade. Then I realized it's next to impossible to peel them off without breaking the sponge, especially the cake sponges. I was able to peel them off on some of the Chinese rubber relatively easily, but their sponge is a bit more rubbery. I just stopped bothering with peeling off glue in the end and just put another layer of glue on top of the first one. It has worked fine for me.

If one just hits around for fun that might be alright, but if you play competitive you wouldn't want to do that, because glueing a new layer over the old glue can make glue jobs become quite uneven and makes it hard to predict how the ball will behave.

But with a few drops of any oil poured in the sponge (really ANY) you can rub off the old glue much more effortlessly.
When I do so, most of the times the glue layer will come off in one piece.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If one just hits around for fun that might be alright, but if you play competitive you wouldn't want to do that, because glueing a new layer over the old glue can make glue jobs become quite uneven and makes it hard to predict how the ball will behave.

But with a few drops of any oil poured in the sponge (really ANY) you can rub off the old glue much more effortlessly.

I don't hit around for fun and I do exactly what that vik2000 said with few if any complaints. Just saying. I usually just put glue on the blade and leave the glue on the rubber.

Not saying your solution isn't better, just saying the other one has merit.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
1) 90 Gram OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH: Vega Pro, BH: Rakza 7.
Why I like it? Great control, great feeling.
What don't I like? Not sure - nothing? Perhaps a little slow?

4) 93 Gram Limba-Limba-Western Red Cedar. FH: Vega Pro, BH: Rakza 7.
Why I like it? A little more power and tighter feel than OSP - was considering putting Fastarc G-1 on both sides to emulate what I like about OSP setup and G-1 on other blades (since it plays just like my OSP, and I seem to like slightly harder rubber for feel).
What don't I like? Nothing - it's just very similar to my OSP (except that I made it and have more pride in it), so it feels redundant with same exact rubber sheets (I initially put them on to make sure they WERE similar).

There you go.

Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't hit around for fun and I do exactly what that vik2000 said with few if any complaints. Just saying. I usually just put glue on the blade and leave the glue on the rubber.

Not saying your solution isn't better, just saying the other one has merit.

With the old VOC glue this wasn't really that much of a problem, but with wbg it bothers me much much more.

I'd like to have more or less equal results when I glue on my rubber and don't want to give free points to my opponents because the rubber behaves unpredictable, but that might just be me.
I am aware this doesn't bother everyone, but to me it does. Most likely that this is mostly just in my head, but once there it goes nowhere and I keep thinking about it repetitively, so I avoid it.
[Emoji2]

While re-reading this i got reminded of Carl's story how to get in a head of a pips player.....

...and start seeing similarities....
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.

Interesting... I do play competitively and I honestly have not noticed any irregularities in the bounce.

I've never experienced problems with leaving the old glue layer on the rubber. But it may depend on the kind of rubbers, kind of of glue, how many layers, quality of the glue job, personal attitude and feeling.
Its almost impossible to remove the old glue from a tensor. Thicker glues with more natural rubber are easier to remove, but you always may damage the sponge here and there. I always use only one layer of strong and thin glue and the old glue surface is thin, smooth and even. No need to remove it.
With some glues, if the initial glue job is not good, after applying the new glue the surface becomes uneven. In such case its good to remove the glue if possible. With tensors, if you do a bad and uneven glue job, it will be visible on the top sheet surface - it will be uneven too. If the glue job is right, the top sheet surface will be smooth and even and no irregularities could occur.
These are my feelings.