Help on Beginner Penholder

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hi, im new to the fórum, most of the people i know know me by the nickname of Osky, i am 17 and just started playing table tennis starting this year, i really love the penhold style with rpb, i am using right now a huieson blade with a nittaku hammond pro as forehand and andro roxon 450 as backhand, it was gifted by a friend from high school who also plays penhold and showed it to me, i am trying to learn rpb and i want to make my first real racket, i was checking on tt11, saw dhs wind 3020, want know if its a good blade to keep on learning and which rubbers should i buy, id like to spend less than $35-$40 sorry for bad english i am from mexico

Okay lots to unpack here. 35-40 is tough but is possible. My first racket was about the same. You're definitely looking at Chinese equipment. Rubbers I'd say are fairly easy: you can't go wrong price or quality with hurricane 3 fh and something soft, Chinese made but European styled for bh (I learned Rpb on 40 degree hardness focus 3 snipe and I love that. The softer Palio ak47 I hear is good too). As for blade look for a yinhe, friendship or Palio blade 5 ply all wood, All+ to off-. If you order from AliExpress you might be able to dip under 40$. That's about as cheap as I can think! Unfortunately you will still need glue (maybe borrow a bit from a friend, who can show you how it's done), and with cheap Chinese blades, I highly recommend sealing the blade with polyurethane. There is a thread somewhere about this. If you don't there is a very high chance you will strip the top ply when you change rubbers. I've seen it many many times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Hi, im new to the fórum, most of the people i know know me by the nickname of Osky, i am 17 and just started playing table tennis starting this year, i really love the penhold style with rpb, i am using right now a huieson blade with a nittaku hammond pro as forehand and andro roxon 450 as backhand, it was gifted by a friend from high school who also plays penhold and showed it to me, i am trying to learn rpb and i want to make my first real racket, i was checking on tt11, saw dhs wind 3020, want know if its a good blade to keep on learning and which rubbers should i buy, id like to spend less than $35-$40 sorry for bad english i am from mexico

Forehand - 729 battle II or bloom power (~20$)
Backhand - Palio ak47 blue (~11$)
Blade - DHS PG3 (~20$) or PG2 if you want a little slower version.

If 40$ is really the limit you can start with 999t on forhand which is like 8$ or so.

I played with this setup and it's good. Now I play with tibhar el-p on backhand but Palio is good enough on the budget.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Which Huieson blade is it? They are actually not all crap. Maybe you can stick with it. The Nittaku and Andro rubbers are worth more than $35 each. You've played less than 3 months with them, should be plenty of life left and much better than anything you can get for $35. Stick with them.

If you insist on getting another no-nonsense starter setup for $35, Sanwei M8, 2 sheets of KTL Pro XP or Pro XT. That's going to feel completely different from your current set up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hi thankyou to all of you, well the blade is a huieson k-1 found on eBay, it was his first blade of my frend and both rubber were already used, my Friends coach said theyre life time was about 2 or 3 month of those rubber and i feel like everyday its harder to play my forehand loop or rpb loop, i play about 4hrs daily because i want to improve its so much fun, i think ive already burned those rubber and i want to make my own racket, i saw the dhs wind on sale on tabletennis11 thats why i wanted to ask

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Okay lots to unpack here. 35-40 is tough but is possible. My first racket was about the same. You're definitely looking at Chinese equipment. Rubbers I'd say are fairly easy: you can't go wrong price or quality with hurricane 3 fh and something soft, Chinese made but European styled for bh (I learned Rpb on 40 degree hardness focus 3 snipe and I love that. The softer Palio ak47 I hear is good too). As for blade look for a yinhe, friendship or Palio blade 5 ply all wood, All+ to off-. If you order from AliExpress you might be able to dip under 40$. That's about as cheap as I can think! Unfortunately you will still need glue (maybe borrow a bit from a friend, who can show you how it's done), and with cheap Chinese blades, I highly recommend sealing the blade with polyurethane. There is a thread somewhere about this. If you don't there is a very high chance you will strip the top ply when you change rubbers. I've seen it many many times.
I dont want to buy from Aliexpress i really dont like to buy from there ive been recommended tabletennis11, thats where i saw the dhs blade, and i will buy that blade, but i need help with the rubbers, i like dhs h3 but i want to pay, about 13 at most for each rubber, i got recommended 729 fx for fh and 729 fx super soft for backhand what do you think

I dont want to buy from Aliexpress i really dont like to buy from there ive been recommended tabletennis11, thats where i saw the dhs blade, and i will buy that blade, but i need help with the rubbers, i like dhs h3 but i want to pay, about 13 at most for each rubber, i got recommended 729 fx for fh and 729 fx super soft for backhand what do you think

Yes! That blade looks absolutely perfect. Definitely get the free lacquering service. But wow tt11 doesn't have much rubber choice! Bought blades and clothing, but I would look to get better, cheaper rubbers elsewhere. Here, friendship 729 FX for fh and Fx super soft would be best. Both slow and spinny, it should help accelerate your progress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yes! That blade looks absolutely perfect. Definitely get the free lacquering service. But wow tt11 doesn't have much rubber choice! Bought blades and clothing, but I would look to get better, cheaper rubbers elsewhere. Here, friendship 729 FX for fh and Fx super soft would be best. Both slow and spinny, it should help accelerate your progress.

Thanks, but can you tell me which thickness should i get and whats the difference of blue sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

What is the problem with Aliexpress exactly?
Buying Chinese stuff from TT11 will cost more than it should, plus shipping.

Also, Yasaka Sweden Classic is on sale on TT11 as well, it might be a more popular option:
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-sweden-classic-new-ch-pen

Do you really need to change both rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I really dont like buying from Aliexpress most of the things i ordered didnt arrive, than which one should i really get which 1 will continue letting me improve, and yes both rubbers are almost dead

This user has no status.
Hey man, you might want to look into Zeropong or Colestt.com for inexpensive equipment. I don't know how much shipping will cost, though. If you order from Cole, his premade buster combo or budget looper combo (both can be found on the main webpage) would be good. Go max thickness on both rubbers. If you want something a little better, you can go with the Yinhe 896 blade with Gambler Burst on forehand and Gambler Mech-Tek on backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Beginner: Yasaka YEO CPen with H3 FH and T64 BH to start.
For more advanced setup: DHS H301 or Butterfly Timo Boll ALC with provincial H3 neo and T05 BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
For more advanced setup: DHS H301 or Butterfly Timo Boll ALC with provincial H3 neo and T05 BH.

cache.php

How do you feel about eBay? That will give you better buyer protection. Honestly that blade from tt11 sounds perfect, but the rubbers are less than ideal. If you're going the eBay route, the collective suggestions of DHS hurricane 3, or skyline 2 or friendship battle ii for fh and Palio ak47 blue or friendship focus 3 for bh are winners. The blue sponge is harder for FX so wouldn't recommend it.

This user has no status.

Not sure I've ever seen "beginner" and "T64" in the same sentence/post before. Is there something wildly different about Cpen BH that would make T64 suitable, or are we rocking some thick sarcasm here? :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I really dont like buying from Aliexpress most of the things i ordered didnt arrive, than which one should i really get which 1 will continue letting me improve, and yes both rubbers are almost dead

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.
But, Aliexpress is actually really safe to buy, and if you don’t get what you asked, just message the seller and you will get a refund or they will send it again.
You can take a look at this thread:
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...971-Reliable-table-tennis-shops-on-Aliexpress

This user has no status.

Have you looked at eacheng.net? It typically has everything Aliexpress has, and at similar prices, but is an actual store (not a re-seller like Aliexpress).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Although people with more experience than me suggested stuff like H3 or B2 for FH, and softer euro like for BH, I’m not a big fan of this setup to start.

I started with it and without proper coaching, you can get really confused with such different rubbers on FH and BH. I would often expect the non tacky rubber to behave like the tacky one and I would always mess up with the angles of the racket. After getting coaching, it was suggested to me to get the same rubbers on both sides and it was the best thing I could do to improve faster.
So, I am strongly on the “get the same rubbers on both sides to start” team now.

The Colestt.com combos that thekleifheit13 suggested are often well recommended.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I thank all of you but i think what makes most sense is if not the same similar rubber, i saw the yasaka sweden and i feel spending 8 more dollar for a more quality blade is worth it, my friend got a new friendship 729 FX super soft on red but its 1.0mm idk if i should buy it from him or if i get it on another thickness, because it is thin it wont bounce a lot and my rpb will get better but idk if thats the right decision or buy another one on max thickness as all lf you said because after trying some friends blades i think tacky rubber on a soft blade may be my style like for control on short game and be able to loop on a far push, i want to know to buy carefully and make worthe the shippong price