ULF BENGTSSON Passes Away

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Part of "the Swedish ping wonder" ... 59 not too old.

"At the European Championship in Moscow in 1984 BENGTSSON created a sensational upset in the final where he was opposed to Poland's great star, Andrzej GRUBBA (1958-2005). GRUBBA was a clear favorite beforehand but BENGTSSON played brilliantly and also showed the nerves of steal by managing to beat a wildly struggling and increasingly frustrated Grubba. The table tennis classic concluded by 21-19 in the fifth and crucial game."

From ettu.org

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Very sad - I wonder what his illness was? 59 is a young age to die these days...

His European Championships win was a major surprise: at the time he was only ranked 5th in Sweden and wasn't considered a contender for the title at all having had a poor season, but he saw all his teammates taken out one-by-one (and titleholder Mikael Appelgren was absent with a strained elbow). As the competition went on he got better and better and his murderous LH topspin was infallible - Grubba couldn't really cope with it in the Final.

RIP Ulf.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Last edited:
Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

Yes, very sad indeed. I loved watching him play. He was so ... well....Swedish! One of the crazy great Swedes of that era that we will forever miss. He was part of such a special table tennis time that the Swedes were the biggest contributors to. Now we may pause, with a slight smile, at the wonderful blessings that exceptional table tennis country gave to the world in that period of time. It is not by a small measure that the sport of table tennis moved onward and upward in a fuller and richer way due to these outstanding champions of which Ulf Bendtsson's own shining brightness was special.

Thanks.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Very sad news that Ulf Bengtsson the 1984 European Champion has passed away. RIP Ulf

https://www.ettu.org/en/n/news/2019/march/european-champion-from-1984-ulf-bengtsson-passes-away/

Certainly sad. Seen him play (and play Grubba, that time not coming out on top), and I admired his distinctive style, lefhanded, aggressively opening up and always ready to step in for the kill. Flicks, powerful spin on both wings, but also a positively lethal flat kill; a beautiful game. The great ones, I mourn their passing.

Last edited: