Differences between stiff all wood and carbon blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
So what are the differences between for example stratud power wood and a composite?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
A composite with the same stiffness as Stratus Powerwood is usually thinner.
What about playing characteristics? How would a composite with carbon on outside/inside be different from all wood 7 ply like dhs pg7?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Since TSPWs are all TSPWs and carbon blades are as varied as varied can be, I am not sure you should trust the competence or sanity of anyone who thinks they can give you an answer.

Can you choose a carbon blade that you would like the TSPW to be compared to? That will at least narrow things down a bit for people who would like to help you.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Since TSPWs are all TSPWs and carbon blades are as varied as varied can be, I am not sure you should trust the competence or sanity of anyone who thinks they can give you an answer.

Can you choose a carbon blade that you would like the TSPW to be compared to? That will at least narrow things down a bit for people who would like to help you.
So im looking for a blade thats like tspw but with bigger sweet spot. Any suggestions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
With carbon, you can gain more stiffness with minimal increase in thickness. A 6mm Viscaria would have more stiffness than a 7mm Clipper. But what you gain in stiffness, you loose in vibration feedback.

Same idea about your TSPW. For gains in one aspect, you loose in others. Nothing will feel the same and have bigger sweetspot. If you don't care much for a similar crisp feedback, one of the TBS, Viscaria, Treiber, Stradivarius will give you the "impression" of a larger sweetspot, more uniformity, but much less impact feel.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Personally, I don't like composites, feels "constipated", muffled. But sometimes others try my all woods and say it feels like diarrhea, too much unnecessary feedback. Your choice which direction you want to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
[emoji88]I just want a tspw clone with bigger sweet spot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hate to burst your bubble, but nothing will feel the same AND with larger sweetspot. Besides, "sweetspot" is just an illusion.

Stiffer blades will feel like having larger sweetspots because 1: higher stiffness=more uniformity, 2: higher stiffness=less perceptible vibration. But everything is a balancing aact, you change 1 part, the others must change with it. So having a larger sweetspot WILL feel different.

But different is not necessarily bad. A stiga clipper will have a bigger sweetspot, but feel completely "different" from your Samsonov (but not necessarily bad). Clipper: Fast, stiff, medium hardness, solid, linear/predictable, medium high uniformity, crisp, heavy. Compared with your TSPW: Medium speed, medium stiff, medium soft, hollow, springy, medium low uniformity, very crisp, light.

Nothing will be better but the same. But try a few different blades of different characteristics and maybe you will find a "different" feel that is actually "better".

Last edited:
It's easier to learn to play with the sweet spot.

Even if you take 10 TSPW, they all will have different sweet spot.
If you take 10 clones, they will have different sweet spot too, some bigger, some smaller.
The chance to find a blade with a bigger sweet spot is unknown, but there is a chance you have the blade with the smallest one.
The bad thing is that there is a chance your blade to be with the biggest.

So its better to try to play with the sweet spot.
Learning why, when and how to hit aside from the centre will come some day later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you want a big sweetspot, i think an all Wood blade would be best since it have more feeling. I think you Will feel the ball better and therefore have more control and it gives you basically the same thing as a big sweetspot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
More stiffness=more uniformity thus larger sweet spot, usually faster, and less feedback (feel).

All else being equal, yes thinner=more flexible, but it really depends on materials. A thin and stiff blade avoids a bit of the hollow feel of thick and stiff blades, also saves some weight.

But this is getting off topic. Finding something the same but different is not possible. Please tell us what characteristics you find most important and what areas you are willing to give up, then someone will give you a much more informed opinion. Ie, are you willing to give up crisp/clear feedback for a larger sweetspot (get a viscaria or any other alc-type)? Are you willing to accept more weight and a harder feel for a larger sweetspot (get a clipper or any other thick 7-ply)? If you are not willing to give up crispness and weight, are you willing to accept a softer/hollow matchbox feeling (Get a Cornilleau Foco Off+ or any other very thick 5-plies)?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So im looking for a blade thats like tspw but with bigger sweet spot. Any suggestions?

Have you tried Korbel or OSP Virtuoso Plus?

Also bigger head size will give bigger feeling. You could ask OSP to make a V+ with a 159x152mm head size. It will be more head heavy but it will feel great on ball contact.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Composite materials such as carbon makes the blade more stiff without adding more thickness to the blade.

So, what is your opinion about special wood treatments (like Stiga VPS and Diamond Touch). Does that achieve the same result? (More stiff without adding thickness)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi carl,

Is it true that bigger head size blades are considered better for forehand as they provide more dwell and feeling?
Have you tried Korbel or OSP Virtuoso Plus?

Also bigger head size will give bigger feeling. You could ask OSP to make a V+ with a 159x152mm head size. It will be more head heavy but it will feel great on ball contact.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi carl,

Is it true that bigger head size blades are considered better for forehand as they provide more dwell and feeling?

I think bigger head size just feels different. I have also heard that bigger head size is better for BH. I don't believe either. There is a give and take. You lose something with a bigger head size (racket speed) and you gain something with a larger head size (feeling).

I have also heard larger head size is slower. My experience has been that a larger head size makes a blade slightly faster. But that is compensated for by the fact that the larger head size makes it harder to move the racket as fast because of the extra weight in the head.

Larger head size should also make a blade have a little more flex which is probably part of the bigger feeling.

Last edited: