Need help choosing my racket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think the OP should Do as he wants. But i think he Will benefit if he tries to listen to the advice he is given

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
My way of going with equipment, just buy the ones you like try it for a few weeks, if you can't adjust to it then it's not for you, and keep on searching for new ones until you find the one you like. In general I think the only useful information online comments about equipments are: build quality, and compositions. It's a slow process, but you learn a lot when trying out new equipments yourself rather than listening to others since everyone has their own perspective, and everyone has their own playing style, likes and dislikes, if you feel your current blade/rubber is slow, then just switch to a faster one; if you don't like the feel of high tension rubbers, try tacky rubbers, only your own feeling during game play can tell you what you like, not comments online.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
It will be helpful if you can specify exactly what characteristics you like and which areas you are willing to give up on.

For a fast yet inexpensive blade, look in the Yinhe/Galaxy range. I Recommend the N9, thick fast all wood.

For clicky sound rubber, the best analogue to old speedglue sound and feel is Joola Xplode.

For backhand block and spin (I assume moderate speed + high grip), try Tibhar Aurus Sound.

Generally, you know you need to change when you know exactly what characteristics you want from the next setup. A little more details on the desired feel and playing characteristics will help with recommendations. Try to describe your preferences for the following areas:

Low impact speed
High impact speed
Stiffness
Hardness
Solidity
Weight
Springy/linear/dampening feel
Feedback (sharp, dull, crisp, marshmallowy?)

Some areas have to be sacrificed for emphasis on others. Again, tell us which areas are most to least important to you. Using me as an example, I like stiff, hard, solid, fast, linear, AND crisp. In order to achieve my preferred characteristics, I sacrificed light weight (my current favorite blade is 113g).

Cheers,

Reactions: Kolev
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I like lasta's approach and his BH rubber suggestion.

TTD always uses a DYNAMIC test of equipment, which means they test it under common hitting situations and see how it performs.

The way lasta is approaching the problem is effective in discovering what your some of requirements are and use it to compare. These are common sense things not everyone considers.

Unless one understands who is reviewing and what they do well, it can be difficult to read a review and get applicable, meaningful information.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Oh, and a 113 gram blade is right up my alley, but I am more spin oriented of a player.

I'm curious what your wrist diameter is? A 113g blade with 2 max inverted can easily push you to ~210g range. You can still flick good? ;)

I play single sided penhold, so weight is not much of a problem.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Of the TTD members here, Upsidedowncarl has seen me hit with a 220 gram + bat, and he had a hit with it and agreed it feels light. TTD member erm can tell you if my BH flip sux or not. Next Level can tell.

If the weight is low, and much weight low, it becomes easier to use wrist. There is a thread I made years back where I modified a Stiga Allround Evolution to make it go from 80s grams to over 120 grams. It is a classic read. I call it the "Beast Mod". Cool sounding name, eh?

My arm looks like Popeye. Very sticking out elbows that will kill you if I hit you with elbow, OK sized forearm, much smaller wrist diameter, but real fat hands muscles. You might have a thicker wrist than me... and I am around 110 kg dude.

A thick wrist doesn't guarantee a strong wrist. Having strong muscles in hand and forearm count a lot more. For flipping, it is more of a timing, rhythm, and power generation/amplification/transfer issue. I can bring the power transfer on BH with a short whip and a bat many people will call too heavy.

Overall weight I like of bat is low to mid 200s with rubbers with good balance low.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Haha fair enough. I'm sure Popeye can do the chiquita flick with Mjolnir.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
It will be helpful if you can specify exactly what characteristics you like and which areas you are willing to give up on.

For a fast yet inexpensive blade, look in the Yinhe/Galaxy range. I Recommend the N9, thick fast all wood.

For clicky sound rubber, the best analogue to old speedglue sound and feel is Joola Xplode.

For backhand block and spin (I assume moderate speed + high grip), try Tibhar Aurus Sound.

Generally, you know you need to change when you know exactly what characteristics you want from the next setup. A little more details on the desired feel and playing characteristics will help with recommendations. Try to describe your preferences for the following areas:

Low impact speed
High impact speed
Stiffness
Hardness
Solidity
Weight
Springy/linear/dampening feel
Feedback (sharp, dull, crisp, marshmallowy?)

Some areas have to be sacrificed for emphasis on others. Again, tell us which areas are most to least important to you. Using me as an example, I like stiff, hard, solid, fast, linear, AND crisp. In order to achieve my preferred characteristics, I sacrificed light weight (my current favorite blade is 113g).

Cheers,

I tried the Tibhar Aurus Sound for my BH and I LOVED it I totally fell in love with it when I played a few games with it, however I'm still stuck with my Mark V for my FH because the Joola Xplode isn't in stock on TT11 which is the only place I can order from to my country, however I also used it before and it was a perfect fh rubber for my playstyle, I liked the sound of the rubber too. Do you have any suggestions that is similar to Calibra sound and Joola Xplode? Need to be a fast rubber with a satisfying sound. Thank you so much for the suggestion bud it was perfect for my bh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Try the Xiom Vega Asia. It has a nice "poppy" sound on high impact. But IMO, you should be more focused on the other characteristics first. Look at my template and decide what you want from your equipment, sound is a byproduct.

This user has no status.
Hi,
Please suggest good Spin and Control rubber for FH to make effective topspin, Loop and drive.
For BH topspin and block to my newly purchased Stiga Carbando 145 rocket. I'm FH dominated right hand offensive style player. BH not much effective. My footwork movement also slow towards left side. Kindly suggest Good Rubber.
With Regards
Prasad C
India

says Hi TT Comunity!
excelent analysis Yogi! i remember in 1994 i had a Mark V rubber on bothsides and Mark V was already old at that time as the 38 mm ball size, so i don't even recommend this rubber to anyone, because i think it is better to learn with a modern rubber to get use to it at the same time with the learning than change it after one year or some