Need help choosing my racket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey guys, I'm from Egypt.
Let me just get straight to the point. I have purchased a Yasaka Mark V Carbon racket from tt11 a fee months ago and I was shocked when I received it. It was soo slow for me with a very low spin and it was no different than a cheap $10 racket for me. So I wanted to seek some suggestions from you guys for some new equipment for me.

I have been playing TT since 2017.

80% of my playstyle is FH topspin and smashes, I only use the bh to block and spin with it.

I need a very fast FH rubber with a good sound or the good click that we all love.

I need an offensive fast blade that is not expensive.

I need a bh rubber to block and spin with it.

I have tried Yasaka Mark V was very slow for me with no sound at all and I have also tried 05-FX and it was good but not my type of rubber because it had a lot of spin which I didn't like, also tried Calibra Sound and I loooved the sound of the rubber was amazing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think if you have barely played for two years Mark V is good enough. If you play just for fun and Do not care about your developement you can buy a faster racket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I think if you have barely played for two years Mark V is good enough. If you play just for fun and Do not care about your developement you can buy a faster racket.

No, you don't get it. The speed and spin of the racket are so slow and very easy to do all the strokes with the Yasaka Mark V.
I want to move to a new level especially because it's boring to play with it now its really slow compared to other rackets that I play with like 05-FX Butterfly. I play for 2-3 hours everyday and have been playing since 2017

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I Do not want to be rude, But i am pretty sure you Do not get it.

You ask for advice because you have to little experience about this.

If you trust us i think you have a better shot of good developement and to become a better player.

Like i Said, if you just want to play for fun and get a shortcut to win some games at the moment get to fast equipment. But the guys that stick with slower equipment Will have a better shot at becoming a better player than you in the long run.

Edit: Maybe you have great technique already But i find it unlikely since you played for a short time. If you post a video of you playing the strokes it Will help us to give you the correct advice.

Last edited:
I Do not want to be rude, But i am pretty sure you Do not get it.
I get the same feeling.
Like i Said, if you just want to play for fun and get a shortcut to win some games at the moment get to fast equipment.
it really depends. If he is really gifted, this might get him some more wins. If not, he will make a lot of "small errors" in his matches and will loose them. You're winning the games with all the "small points", which more or less translates to "do less unforced errors as your opponent".
If you want to win matches by choosing the right material, I would suggest long pimples. This will raise the "unforced errors" rate of your opponent to a specific skill level. Above that level, your opponents will be to good and experienced and you will be the one limited by your material.
But the guys that stick with slower equipment Will have a better shot at becoming a better player than you in the long run.
This is not entirely true and really depends on the individual. I've seen gifted people playing with Jun Mizutani and T05 max on both sides from the beginning and playing now really high on a really good level way above mine. In China, every kid get's more or less hard rubbers with something down the line like a Viscaria. They just see who is gifted and with that many kids, it even doesn't matter that most of them will quit or be a not so good player.
Edit: Maybe you have great technique already But i find it unlikely since you played for a short time. If you post a video of you playing the strokes it Will help us to give you the correct advice.
I would also suggest that. But my gut feeling is telling me that the technique is not that great. He quotes a lot T05-FX, which is a softer rubber. I don't know if this is the only other faster option he has access to but if the technique is good, players normally gravitate to harder rubbers, especially for the forehand. You need a good technique, otherwise you're highly dependent on the catapult effect of softer rubbers whhich are also really forgiving in terms of bad food work and technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I get the same feeling.

it really depends. If he is really gifted, this might get him some more wins. If not, he will make a lot of "small errors" in his matches and will loose them. You're winning the games with all the "small points", which more or less translates to "do less unforced errors as your opponent".
If you want to win matches by choosing the right material, I would suggest long pimples. This will raise the "unforced errors" rate of your opponent to a specific skill level. Above that level, your opponents will be to good and experienced and you will be the one limited by your material.

This is not entirely true and really depends on the individual. I've seen gifted people playing with Jun Mizutani and T05 max on both sides from the beginning and playing now really high on a really good level way above mine. In China, every kid get's more or less hard rubbers with something down the line like a Viscaria. They just see who is gifted and with that many kids, it even doesn't matter that most of them will quit or be a not so good player.

I would also suggest that. But my gut feeling is telling me that the technique is not that great. He quotes a lot T05-FX, which is a softer rubber. I don't know if this is the only other faster option he has access to but if the technique is good, players normally gravitate to harder rubbers, especially for the forehand. You need a good technique, otherwise you're highly dependent on the catapult effect of softer rubbers whhich are also really forgiving in terms of bad food work and technique.

Thanks a lot bud this explains much information for me I didn't think about it like that at all.
I used to train with a coach that is one of the best coaches in my country and he advised me to stick with the Mark V until I get all my strokes right and master the fh topspin and seek for a higher/harder rubber when I'm ready because my playstyle is very offensive to try something else which is my condition right now.

However I do know that 2 years is not much, but I'm just feeling bored with my current equipment and I need something to help me get more speed or a harder rubber.
I have thought about Calibra Sound, but I'm not sure if it suits a player like me or should I just stick with my Mark V for a little bit more.
Thanks again for the help bud.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Thanks a lot bud this explains much information for me I didn't think about it like that at all.
I used to train with a coach that is one of the best coaches in my country and he advised me to stick with the Mark V until I get all my strokes right and master the fh topspin and seek for a higher/harder rubber when I'm ready because my playstyle is very offensive to try something else which is my condition right now.
What is your coach telling you now? He is the best source of information for you. He knows your skill level and if you need something new. Normally, if you train 2 years straight, 2-3 hours a day with a coach dedicated just for you, you should be way better than 80% of all players here in the forum.
However I do know that 2 years is not much, but I'm just feeling bored with my current equipment and I need something to help me get more speed or a harder rubber.
As said above, it depends on the intensity and if you had the luck to train with a decent coach.
I have thought about Calibra Sound, but I'm not sure if it suits a player like me or should I just stick with my Mark V for a little bit more.
Thanks again for the help bud.
You said it yourself, get a harder rubber. Everthing with "Sound, Big Slam, FX or whatever" in the name is soft. Maybe go for something like the Xiom Vega Intro, Andro GTT 45, Gewo NeoFlexx 48 or maybe a Hexer Powergrip. The Hexer should be the fastest one.
Are we talking only about your FH? What about your BH?

Edit: More important is the blade you plan to use. What are you playing now and what are your plans?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What i meant is that if your technique is not quite there yet, faster equipment will make it harder to learn the strokes properly. So with to fast equipment it can be hard to get good strokes.

in the speedglue era me and my young friends speedglued. If my coached had stopped me like i am trying to do with the OP, i think we all would have become a much better player.

I have also been coaching kids for over 10 years. The ones that want the cool most expensive stuff that is fastest can not often handle the speed so they do not learn all the strokes correctly. With to fast of equipment they also do not learn to make power and spin by themselfes. While the ones that have slower stuff, but still good stuff, can control the racket so they can do the correct strokes and learn them properly. They also learn how to use the forearm to create spin and body to create power. The ones with to fast gear also miss much more, so they do not get to practice the strokes as many times as the guys with slower stuff that put more balls on the table.

I have a young kid in one of my groups that can become really good. We have more, but this kid have some serious potential. He used to play with a slower blade, but now changed to his fathers superfast carbon blade. I do not like this, have told the kid and his father. They do not understand that this blade is way way to fast, so he will just get spin and speed from the blade, and can barely do the correct strokes because the ball leaves the racket so fast and he also miss much much more now because the blade is to fast so he do not get to practice the strokes as much. This can proably harm is developement very much i think.

i think your old coach is correct about Mark V. And the rubbers the young chinese use is proably rockhard china rubbers, which is very slow. So they get to learn to get spin, and especially use the body to get power on their own and not from the racket. Harder rubber is also much less forgiving than soft rubbers. I think soft rubbers is good for control and developing, but i think you can hide much more weakness in the technique because you get much more help from the sponge. Do not need to do as good of a stroke and it is easier to stand somewhat wrong and still get a good shot.

I think if the OP have pretty good strokes, and are feeling bored he should try faster rubbers. We play because it is fun, without it no reason to play. But i think you maybe can try to start with some slower tensor rubbers, with maybe a thinner sponge so the do not become to fast and you can still control them good. I am not good at rubbers, but in my club we are a yasaka club. They start with a premade racket, then a blade with Mark V and then rakza 7 soft or just rakza 7. Maybe you can try that. I am also interested in the blade. Is the racket premade or have the store put it together? if they have put it together maybe you can chose another blade and still play with Mark V and get more speed. Or chose a slower blade and faster Tensor rubbers. But i think Tenergy is one of the fastest rubbers out there, and if you have only played for two years i think it is better that you use cheaper tensor rubbers and put the left over money on private coaching or something like that.

Good Luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Every time I see these advices I end up scratching my head. Ok, one can take these old-style Japanese rubbers like Mark V or Sriver and learn how to spin the crap out of it and so what? What next? I know a guy with something like 10 years hiatus with exactly this kind of rubbers and giant swing (which you need to produce topspin with such rubber without speed-gluing). I envy the technique and so on (far superior than mine). But. With this swing these guys can only barely make one loop during a game. If it's blocked -- well, there's nothing more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
But obviously he is not suppose to use slow rubbers his whole tabletenniscareer. Only in the beginning to be able to get nice technique. After that he should use faster equipment so he can get the most out of the strokes. If you have great technique and have played for many years it sounds strange to me to use very slow equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Fine. Another example. Different club, 10-12 years old boy. He uses modern racket but with this old-fashioned technique (oh, he must have gotten proper training! Or he simply likes this, I don't know): huge swing, same rockets during the practice against block, all this. Guess what? Zero points won through attacking loops during 2 games match play.

So, why would you learn the technique, which is inefficient with the modern equipment? There's no "technique" per se, there is technique+equipment.

I mean, yes, I can understand playing with Mark V as an exercise to learn that one should go forward with the stroke, like some people advocate using hard bats for this. But using this rubber regularly seems outdated to me.

Be aware, of course, that it's all my personal observations, and I'm no more than an amateur.

Last edited:
says Hi TT Comunity!
I also buy my equipments at TT11 they are just amazing ! and i have bought since december 2018 these rubbers, MXS, MXP, Andro V42 and R47 and Bluestorm Z1 Turbo, and the blade that i use is VS Samsonov from Tibhar, but if you want a real good fast rubber i recomend you Donic Bluestorm Z1 Turbo Max, i use it for my FH and the BH i have the MXP, so far i cant be happier.

Ok, one can take these old-style Japanese rubbers like Mark V or Sriver and learn how to spin the crap out of it and so what? What next?
This:
I have also been coaching kids for over 10 years. The ones that want the cool most expensive stuff that is fastest can not often handle the speed so they do not learn all the strokes correctly. With to fast of equipment they also do not learn to make power and spin by themselfes. While the ones that have slower stuff, but still good stuff, can control the racket so they can do the correct strokes and learn them properly. They also learn how to use the forearm to create spin and body to create power. The ones with to fast gear also miss much more, so they do not get to practice the strokes as many times as the guys with slower stuff that put more balls on the table.
[...]
i think your old coach is correct about Mark V. And the rubbers the young chinese use is proably rockhard china rubbers, which is very slow. So they get to learn to get spin, and especially use the body to get power on their own and not from the racket. Harder rubber is also much less forgiving than soft rubbers. I think soft rubbers is good for control and developing, but i think you can hide much more weakness in the technique because you get much more help from the sponge. Do not need to do as good of a stroke and it is easier to stand somewhat wrong and still get a good shot.
I know a guy with something like 10 years hiatus with exactly this kind of rubbers and giant swing (which you need to produce topspin with such rubber without speed-gluing). I envy the technique and so on (far superior than mine). But. With this swing these guys can only barely make one loop during a game. If it's blocked -- well, there's nothing more.
To be honest: This sounds to me like a bad technique. Had a game last night and one of my teammates is playing an old Stiga All-Blade with Sriver EL unglued. He doesn't have a wider swing or anything else. He is hitting every ball, getting ton of spin and speed which is, frankly speaking enough for what leagues 90% of us are playing. If somebody needs a huge swing with a Mark V unglued, he has a real problem with his technique.
So, why would you learn the technique, which is inefficient with the modern equipment? There's no "technique" per se, there is technique+equipment.

I mean, yes, I can understand playing with Mark V as an exercise to learn that one should go forward with the stroke, like some people advocate using hard bats for this. But using this rubber regularly seems outdated to me.
In my opinion, a lot of us rate a setup of blades and rubbers depending on one or two "killer shots" or "rockets" in your terms. Problem is, that you will loose a game with two rockets and 5-8 unforced errors. I see a lot playing or trying to play rockets during a training drill. This is so nonsensical, one goal of a drill is to play it as long and reliable as possible.
You WILL get lazy if the setup is doing a lot of work for you and this will backfire sooner than later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
"Bad technique", huh... Well, when I watch Waldner on YouTube with this exact huge swing from 80s I see this same technique.

Did you try looping backspin with all-blade with Mark V on it?

> You WILL get lazy if the setup is doing a lot of work for you and this will backfire sooner than later.
The next step is to advise playing with hardbat to avoid laziness' backfire.

"Bad technique", huh... Well, when I watch Waldner on YouTube with this exact huge swing from 80s I see this same technique.
They can do it because they have trained it a lot with consistent drills. Just watch Ma Long or others, who are doing same wide swings with todays material. And to be honest, in the 80s with crazy fast all wood blades like Clipper, Mazunov or else with Mark V in max speedglued, the material might be even faster than todays available Tenergys.
Did you try looping backspin with all-blade with Mark V on it?
Yes, I have played Mark V, Speedy Spin and Mendo a lot on my FH, Sriver FX, Mendo Energy on my BH. With the proper technique, especially with enough power from the ground, you can generate sufficent spin and speed.
The next step is to advise playing with hardbat to avoid laziness' backfire.
Nope, hardbat is totally different from inverted pimples rubbers.
Would you advise somebody, who wants to learn driving a car to step into a Formula 1 racing car, because it's fast and you have a lot of grip in curves with enough speed?
Your analogy with "hardbat vs. inverted pimples rubber" is like giving somebody a tricycle to learn driving a car.

Last edited: