Where to contact my racket to the ball during a reverse pendulum serve ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey everyone. can you please tell me where to contact my racket to the ball more maximum spin. can you also tell me how to have more force on my serve for most of my serve land in the net. (I am a left handed table tennis player)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
where the ball can move over the rubber the most. My english is not good enough to explain this i think. But i think it would be on the right side of the rubber, as near as the edge as possible, because then ball will have much rubber to move on because of the direction you do the reverse pendelum serve.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey everyone. can you please tell me where to contact my racket to the ball more maximum spin. can you also tell me how to have more force on my serve for most of my serve land in the net.

You need to get some video on here.

The only way your serve is landing in the net is if you are incredibly weak, or trying to get too much spin on the ball (I'd imagine it's the latter).

For the reverse pendulum serve (assuming you are right handed), you'll want to bend your wrist into a right angle as you come under the ball, and then when you "flick" the ball up, you'll want the firs contact to be right on the edge of the rubber (on the right hand side of the rubber, which will be closest to the table), and then very quickly fire your wrist through it.

If you are struggling for pace, start off by simply getting the ball over with that action (you'll need to have more or a forward motion to increase the speed), and then once you've got the basic action, you can start trying to increase the spin.

But yeah, you need to show us a video of where you are at.

Reactions: Aritra Bose
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
(assuming you are right handed),

Hey NDH I am a left handed player so can you make some changes to the post. everything else is all right except where I should contact the racket for you assumed that I am a right handed player and what do you mean by under the ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Just flip it round! lol
I figured it out after I posted my problem. well thanks for your advice. I shall try it tomorrow at my club. and keep an out I will post a video of my reverse pendulum serve. I am sure you will find my problem and tell me and allow me to improve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster and NDH
I find, because I don't have really good acceleration of the racket through the ball, nearer the tip is better. The linear speed of the racket is fastest here, so imparts the most spin. Margin for error is higher though. I have observed that this is not necessarily the case with pros, but perhaps because in the case of high level TT, variation of spin is more important than optimal spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I find, because I don't have really good acceleration of the racket through the ball, nearer the tip is better. The linear speed of the racket is fastest here, so imparts the most spin. Margin for error is higher though. I have observed that this is not necessarily the case with pros, but perhaps because in the case of high level TT, variation of spin is more important than optimal spin.

It definitely is the case with pros, pros who don't believe their reverse is good enough just don't serve it. Waldner never had a feel for it, for example. Everybody wants to hit at close to the sweet spot for optimal ball quality, hitting not quite there is usually accidental.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP,

ONE possible answer lies in your WHIP, not where you strike the ball on the bat.

There are PRO TT PLAYERS who are not good enough to consistently strike the ball near the tip... there isn't much space there to strike it 99 out of 100 times.

Heck, even WERNER SCHLAGER, you know, a WORLD CHAMPION, stated that it is simply better for him to strike the ball in the center of the bat and not make mistakes, because he can make the bat fast (good whip).

Look for Brett Clarke's vis of how to serve effectively... real easy tip there.