What impact would a strong British League have on British Table Tennis?

says 2010/11 British League Premier Division Champions &...
Jan 2011
Is it a coincidence that leading table tennis nations have strong domestic leagues?

Would a strengthened British League improve British table tennis from grass roots through to the countries elite?

Would people come and watch and would TV support it?

Can the countries club structure support such a thing?

Does the ETTA have the skills/desire to make such a thing happen?

Would money spent on the English Open (for example) be put to better use making such a thing happen?

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
i dont think it would be possible in england because they would struggle to make profit from it

Jan 2011
I think strengthening the British League would entice more spectators. The main thing is to try and make the British League a professional league where players who play in it can get paid. I'm not sure how the ETTA would achieve this.

For players to get paid, clubs need money. For this to happen, there needs to be decent prize money and the ETTA needs to market and give the league such exposure that clubs can attract sponsorship.

Jan 2011
i dont think it would be possible in england because they would struggle to make profit from it

It shouldn't be about the ETTA necessarily making money, but at worste breaking even. Why do you think this would be a struggle when it works in other countries?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
It shouldn't be about the ETTA necessarily making money, but at worste breaking even. Why do you think this would be a struggle when it works in other countries?

The problem is,,, well I don't know how it all works but for instance.. the club structure in Belgium is fantastic!!! This is probably due to the fact that their income is received from car parking meters... and obviously now they have lots of good players in clubs,, tv exposure, they can get big sponsors...

This topic is very hard to talk on... because if it was easy then the etta would sort it out... maybe the etta should forget international table tennis for 5 years and focus on clubs... but this ain't going to happen.

Ok lets put this thought into prospectus......

The Bristol Academy...... it is self funded from colleges and government... the etta has not put a penny into the facility... now what if this academy idea was done over a much larger scale.

There are hundreds of rugby college academy's in the country... this is why the sport is big.. not solely the reason but,, kids go to college and can play.... the big problem in table tennis is that a lot of kids or teenagers like and play the sport but quit once they leave school as they cant maintain there studys whilst playing... and cant travel the long distances to get to there clubs or venues... whereas if it was at there college! Fantastic!

Who knows....