Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2019?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Lee Sang Su

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Koki Niwa

• Jun Mizutani

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 20 26.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I was just amazed by your surprisingly accurate analysis and evaluation of the LGL .....

Regarding points for the Asian Cup ..I honestly do not understand how ITTF will consider the rating for May .....The announced ITTF publication date of the rating for May - April 29, 2019 ...
The Asian Cup - it is possible, only in the June ranking there will be a replacement of previous results with the results of this year ....e will be replaced ....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
D.N. 16515 +(wttc/old-3000)
Z.Y.L. 16059 +(asiancup/old-1914
C.M. 14899 +(asiancup/old-1734) +(wttc/old-2100)
WANG Manyu 14705 +(wttc/old-no
L.S.W. 14550 +(wttc/old-2400
ISHIKAWA Kasumi 14523 +(asiancup/no) +(wttc/old-2100)
ITO Mima 13880 +(wttc/old-1800)
CHENG I-Ching 13086 +(asiancup/old-1426) +(wttc/old-1200
HIRANO Miu 12660 +(asiancup/old-1298) +(wttc/old-2400)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...]
1) To ascertain the effectiveness of the closed-door training. Without a doubt, the fact that the semi-finalists and finalists are all players who will be attending WTTC next month speaks well of their current forms (although DN's almost ZYL-like loss to WMY is still jarringly etched in my mind).
[...]

Thanks for this analysis, a good one.

"although DN's almost ZYL-like loss to WMY is still jarringly etched in my mind", to comment this shortly.

Wang Manyu has caught my eye for quite some time, she plays in a very disciplined manner (as all CNTs does, but she excels here), she always keeps her composure, remains calm etc. She has visibly adopted what Liu Guoliang named like 2-3 years ago a move towards masculinity of women's game, she become a strong fh oriented player with a very capable backhand.

I remember seeing Zhang Jike for the first time on a video 2008~ and I liked his game immediately. I could say the same about Wang, although it's not much about her, performing the strokes but the overall composure she presents throughout her matches. I basically never seen her frustrated loosing to someone ... (maybe sometimes, but she never acts like a spoiled star).

Now she has Xiao Zhan as a personal coach and this means a lot to me.

I'm not sure if she's fully prepared to win this years WTTC, so far I have seem Chen Meng being able to pin point Manyu with her domineering backhand, but we'll see. I'll be truly rooting for her in Budapest and her winning 4:0 against DN is a very good sign for me : )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Thanks for this analysis, a good one.

"although DN's almost ZYL-like loss to WMY is still jarringly etched in my mind", to comment this shortly.

Wang Manyu has caught my eye for quite some time, she plays in a very disciplined manner (as all CNTs does, but she excels here), she always keeps her composure, remains calm etc. She has visibly adopted what Liu Guoliang named like 2-3 years ago a move towards masculinity of women's game, she become a strong fh oriented player with a very capable backhand.

I remember seeing Zhang Jike for the first time on a video 2008~ and I liked his game immediately. I could say the same about Wang, although it's not much about her, performing the strokes but the overall composure she presents throughout her matches. I basically never seen her frustrated loosing to someone ... (maybe sometimes, but she never acts like a spoiled star).

Now she has Xiao Zhan as a personal coach and this means a lot to me.

I'm not sure if she's fully prepared to win this years WTTC, so far I have seem Chen Meng being able to pin point Manyu with her domineering backhand, but we'll see. I'll be truly rooting for her in Budapest and her winning 4:0 against DN is a very good sign for me : )

Well, Chen Meng is more well-rounded IMO and Wang Manyu has a more explosive game. Since you've referenced Wang to Zhang Jike, then it stands to reason that Chen is Ma Long, the player who is more stable. DN's decline is expected since she lacks kill shots which does not sit well in general with the ball change and concomitant turn towards more masculine styles of play.

Personally, I will be rooting for Liu Shiwen, regardless of whether she clinches the gold medal. She's just a pleasure to watch. But if I had to choose between the two favourites, it will be Chen Meng though XD. I seem to have a weakness for players who have always been 'overshadowed' by their contemporaries (e.g. LSW over DN, CM over ZYL).

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...]
Personally, I will be rooting for Liu Shiwen, regardless of whether she clinches the gold medal. She's just a pleasure to watch. But if I had to choose between the two favourites, it will be Chen Meng though XD. I seem to have a weakness for players who have always been 'overshadowed' by their contemporaries (e.g. LSW over DN, CM over ZYL).

I wouldn't mind Liu Shiwen winning too, she deserves it after all ... Ding ... I don't know, she had it all already ... ; )

This user has no status.
For MS final, I think it will be a repeat of 2017 WTTC, ML vs. FZD and we will be treated to another (like Dima said) "one of the best table tennis matches I've ever seen."
For WS final, I think it will be WMY vs. SYS. Both of these young players are strong and hungry.
For XD final, it'll be XX LSW vs. Ito Morizono.
For MD final, it'll be LSS JYS vs. LGY LJK
For WD final, it'll be Ito Hayata vs. CM ZYL
These are just my predictions

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
Nice vid, zeio! Thanks for the translation.
Haha, Chinese players are so reserved. WMY wants the WTTC gold so bad, but she doesn't say it out loud, whereas Harimoto has made bold proclamations aplenty. It's interesting to observe how each TT association's culture differ from one another.