Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2019?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Lee Sang Su

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Koki Niwa

• Jun Mizutani

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 20 26.0%

• Total voters
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Harimoto's speedy style turns out to be Falck's cup of tea.

He has trouble hitting past Falck.

He has more success slowing it down and varying the pace and spin.

Falck knows what to expect on the BH, so Harimoto needs to work around it.

Game 7. Hairmoto failed to solve the BH problem.

Last edited:

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This is typical for Harimoto, he gets big wins but can lose against several much lower ranked players.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Great match and great sportsmanship by Harimoto letting Mattias have that point even though it wasn't clear whether it was an edge or not. I'm sure many players would hesitate to give that point away.
Yes great sportsmanship by Harimoto at a critical point. I watched it live and couldn't tell whether it was an edge. The replay didn't show an edge clearly either. If it was an edge, it was very feint. In any case, MF would not falsely claim an edge.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Next time they play Harimoto will crush him. Happened a lot before, first encounter he loses, afterwards greatly improved performance. He also had some problems with the pips.

Reactions: BlipBlop575
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
This is typical for Harimoto, he gets big wins but can lose against several much lower ranked players.

Mattias Falck is an amazing player.. I don't get how you can say this. Like the above poster said he's WR 15 and has beaten several top players like Lin Gaoyuan for example.

I'm curious if this really is typical of Harimoto. Could you mention several of much lower ranked players Harimoto has lost to?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Tight encounter in thye battle of the Lins, I am with Yun Ju here who is doing really well in the serve and receive, lots of spin variation, but in open play GY not forcing it as much and a bit more consistent. 1-0 8-8 for GY and time-out, I think LGY will take this but LYJ has a lot of quality in his shots and I imagine we'll see him lots in the upcoming years.

Also, the score board umpire is cute!!

Oh, wait... 1-1!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018
lin_vs_lin.jpg

incompetent ITTF strikes again

This user has no status.
Falck was outstanding against Harimoto. except in game 5 and 6 where he lost a bit of focus, it wasn't really Harimoto playing better.

My 1c analysis is that Falck played a nearly perfect match, perhaps well above his usual level, and that Harimoto is a good matchup for him. Also, whereas Harimoto's serve and receive game was very effective against LJK yesterday, it couldn't give him that very important edge that usually he always has. It put even more pressure on him and he failed. Harimoto was dominated in BH rallies whereas its his main strength. From there, not many solutions to win.

Still kudos to Harimoto to fight back a little and make it 3-4 instead of a more disastrous looking 1-4 even if it's still a tough defeat.

This user has no status.
Falck was outstanding against Harimoto. except in game 5 and 6 where he lost a bit of focus, it wasn't really Harimoto playing better.

My 1c analysis is that Falck played a nearly perfect match, perhaps well above his usual level, and that Harimoto is a good matchup for him. Also, whereas Harimoto's serve and receive game was very effective against LJK yesterday, it couldn't give him that very important edge that usually he always has. It put even more pressure on him and he failed. Harimoto was dominated in BH rallies whereas its his main strength. From there, not many solutions to win.

Still kudos to Harimoto to fight back a little and make it 3-4 instead of a more disastrous looking 1-4 even if it's still a tough defeat.
still think he's gonna be world champion after this match?

This user has no status.
still think he's gonna be world champion after this match?

yes he's got 1 more month to prepare
Its good that he loses in the Opens. It makes him aware of his weaknesses

Not good if he comes in too confident and makes precisely this kind of matches

Reactions: Ioiettino and Nemo

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
yes he's got 1 more month to prepare
Its good that he loses in the Opens. It makes him aware of his weaknesses

Not good if he comes in too confident and makes precisely this kind of matches

And he should be better prepared next time. Usually Harimoto plays better in a rematch. With a win in Qatar the pressure at WTTC is on him.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi