how to grip the racket during a pendulum serve ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey can you please tell me how to grip my racket during a normal pendulum serve. I am watched many videos and I am seen different methods. Some tell to curl my middle,ring and pinkie finger but in the channel tomorrow table tennis he tells to keep the middle and the ring finger on the side of the racket for power and to tighten the grip. can you tell the best way to grip the racket during my pendulum serve for maximum spin.;);)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
This is actually a pretty good question. I guess the answer to this is that it can be a bit individual, a matter of preference, comfort and what kind of handle you use. Some will tell you to curl all fingers beneath the racket, others will keep two fingers in contact with the handle. But I guess even those that curl all the fingers, usually keep at least one finger, like the middle finger in contact with the handle.

A good example is Dan and Tom from tabletennisdailyacademy.com. Dan explains the grip in the backspin serve video, but you will notice that he curls all of his fingers and has his curled middle finger in contact with the handle. However, Tom keeps his middle and ring finger in contact with the handle.

I did a change in my service grip at one point in time. I noticed that just curling all the fingers under with less handle contact, resulted in a slight drop of the racket head, resulting in more sidespin when I wanted more backspin. So in my setup two fingers on the handle give me more stability and snap. This is not always easy to notice, many people have a slight drop unless they watch a video of themselves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It do not matter how you grip the racket, as long as you can move the wrist freely and fast, and also are able to turn the wrist so you can hit the ball on the side. If you can do that you are good to go. No correct answer to this question.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
You'll need to experiment to find what works best for you. This might change as you get more experience. You want (1) stable grip that gives you precise control of racket angle, (2) free wrist motion that allow whip action with a variety of different contact points on the ball, and (3) fast recovery to your regular grip for the third ball.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It do not matter how you grip the racket, as long as you can move the wrist freely and fast, and also are able to turn the wrist so you can hit the ball on the side. If you can do that you are good to go. No correct answer to this question.
I would add that the grip needs to allow a loose grip, be in a position to allow the impact angle you are striving for, and allow a quick unconscious transition to base grip if you modify grip.

One can still use base grip and use middle finger as a trigger finger to get extra whip... very deceptive too if arm movement is slower.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think everyone is qualified to give advice. More tips and help the better. Would be interesting to hear What conclusion OP comes to, how he/she are going to hold the racket.

I think alot about technique and find it fun, But i proably can not tell you guys how i exacly hold the racket while serving. I teach my players that they should try to hold the racket with only the tumb and the fingers behind. Like someone else above Said. There ar proably other, more important things to think about when trying to create maximum spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
This is actually a pretty good question. I guess the answer to this is that it can be a bit individual, a matter of preference, comfort and what kind of handle you use. Some will tell you to curl all fingers beneath the racket, others will keep two fingers in contact with the handle. But I guess even those that curl all the fingers, usually keep at least one finger, like the middle finger in contact with the handle.

A good example is Dan and Tom from tabletennisdailyacademy.com. Dan explains the grip in the backspin serve video, but you will notice that he curls all of his fingers and has his curled middle finger in contact with the handle. However, Tom keeps his middle and ring finger in contact with the handle.

I did a change in my service grip at one point in time. I noticed that just curling all the fingers under with less handle contact, resulted in a slight drop of the racket head, resulting in more sidespin when I wanted more backspin. So in my setup two fingers on the handle give me more stability and snap. This is not always easy to notice, many people have a slight drop unless they watch a video of themselves.
Thanks for the great advice whocarez I will try to make a grip that is comfortable. I find keeping two fingers on the side of the racket is pretty comfortable and allows me to add spin as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey Lula I will also heed your advice and try everyone's tips and advice.