What is the average break in period

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm going to give a real helpful answer here... I don't know. :p

I used to think it was like a week or two. Then the other day in the chat chat thread as I went from H3 Neo to another Chinese tacky rubber and I wasn't liking what it was doing. So I asked basically this question thinking "oh this rubber just needs broken in". Next Level was like "I don't have that happen to me. I just put the rubber on and see what it does" and I take it he then just memorizes in his head this is how this rubber plays.

So then a few other posts later another user with the same new rubber as me (it was Gambler Wraith on Thors Hammer sponge) said "yeah suds basically as you described how this rubber plays is what I see. You just have to adjust your technique".

So after all that, I don't know. I've since gone back to H3 Neo which I love the way it plays and as I think about when I glued it on my blade when it was brand new, I don't really remember much, or any, time at all in getting use to it. It just played great right from the jump.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Never heard of anything like this. Feels more like an excuse that you play bad because you have not gotten used to the equipment haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Not sure about T05 but Rozena (which uses the same sponge) needs 10-20h before it feels like normal for me. May be superstition but that just my experience after going through 3+3 sheets. I've heard similar experiences from training partners who use T05/T64.

Edit: I typically play 8-10h/week so it usually takes 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Never heard of anything like this. Feels more like an excuse that you play bad because you have not gotten used to the equipment haha
Actually, SOME rubbers will perform better after some use.

It used to be that you had to prime a rubber. Not so much nowadays. Some Classic Chinese rubbers will be better after some use.

Used to be if you did a crappy glue job that the rubber played bad.

This is also still true to a lesser extent.

Agree with Lula that if one radically changes equipment and expects to perform well in important matches, they are headed to start switch of the excuse generator.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
It's not a break in period. It's a get used to it period. People think rubbers break in, but it is you who breaks in. Once you get used to it you, are broken in :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Breaking in for table tennis rubbers I would imagine is a general knowledge....but the look of this thread, it is not

Certain rubbers require longer breaking in period, from experience the likes of Yasaka Rakza family is about 2 weeks
Most other rubbers, I would say 1 to 2 weeks.

There are many factors for "break in", airing the rubber is one of them, the other one is to allow the rubber to adapt to the environment, and the other is to work in the sponge/topsheet.

Of the top pros I know, they do allow few days of "breaking in" of new rubbers before tournament play. They won't just go into a tournament with a brand new unused rubber.