Which side of rubber to use for forehand and backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey I have got a quick question for you guys. Can you tell me which rubber to use for forehand and backhand. My coach tells me to use the red for forehand and black for backhand. But I am seen many world class player like Timo Boll and Ma Long. Can you please help me.:confused::confused:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Is this a serious question? :) But there are no stupid questions. I have heard that is can be more spin in black rubbers but do not know if this is a tall tale, because we only had red ones before. But maybe it is some truth in it, all chinese use black china rubbers i think.

personally i do not think it matters much, and you can do what you like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I prefer red forehand just to go against the grain;). I sighed when Timo Boll decided to change his forehand to black.

For ESN rubbers, I don't think there is much of a difference. Chinese "folklore" says black is tackier, but I haven't tried enough to notice it.

This user has no status.
The top players used to all use red on forehand as rumours were it was faster. The Chinese tacky rubbers then started being rumoured to be tackier on the black side and eventually afaik at one point DHS were only making black national H3. For some reason due to fashion trend maybe suddenly even Tenergy users were all black on forehand. Like Timo even switched it around. Truth? It doesn't matter. I use red on forehand precisely because everyone else does the opposite and I like to be contrarian.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
My coach tells me to use the red for forehand and black for backhand.

This should only be of any concern if you are using the same rubber in the same thickness on both sides, and even then it doesn´t make any noticeable difference, except maybe in case of a few Chinese rubbers.