Infinity vps or clipper

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Clipper is an excellent blade. I still think it is one of Stiga's best blades. Better than a lot of newer stuff. It has great feeling and is solid, crisp, spinny with good control for such a fast blade. But for someone who is saying that they are a "pretty amateur player" the Clipper is probably too fast. And the Infinity would be fine. But there are lots of things that are less expensive and BETTER for a player at a level where they are learning and developing their skills.

It is quite usual for someone who is not at a very high level to choose equipment that is much too fast for them. It is much rarer for a person at that level to choose equipment that is well suited to their level of development. Also, a player going from an All blade to an Off blade (jumping past All+ and Off-) is usually making a mistake.

And someone with good technique can make an All blade look pretty fast. Someone who feels an All blade is just very slow probably should keep using it because that means they probably need to improve their timing and their use of body in their strokes. And a faster blade will cause their stroke to get worse because they won't need to develop the timing and use of body to make their shots fast enough with a blade that is doing the work for them. And so they won't because the blade will make them feel they are doing things correctly when their stroke is still not anywhere near efficient or powerful enough. Those things come from timing and body. You don't develop them when your brain is saying, that your shots are too fast and you need to slow things down to get the ball on the table. But when your brain is told that you need to hit harder, those things develop.

It is a little counterintuitive. The higher level player can use the slower blade because their technique is good enough so that the can do everything right and make the blade not slow. And so that player should use the faster blades. And the lower level player can't get the speed out of the slow blade so they want to use the faster blade and that is exactly what will insure that it will be much less likely that they develop the skills that will make the slow blade fast.

Rayden Tan, you don't have to use an All blade. But try jumping up to something Off- or All+ instead of something solidly in the Off category. Infinity may be fine. But there are really other things less expensive and better. Offensive Classic is pretty close to the same speed as Infinity. It uses the same wood. But I think the Xiom Offensive S is better than either of those blades.

Nexy Spear is also a great choice. I got one of those for my sister who is a solidly intermediate level player and that was great for her. Thinking about it, I might go with the Nexy Spear over any of those other choices. But Offensive S is easier to buy from more locations. More distribution.

+1 Carl's got a point. Actually the point is so good it should count double.
Especially that first part got me crackin up.

As a "pretty amateur player" it might be helpful to rather pick some "middle of the road" equipment.
Whereas as an "ugly professional player" I probably would do otherwise.
Not quite sure how prettyness can help here, but somehow it strangely seems to work.

On a more serious note: something stiff like the clipper might not be a smart choice to start out on. A bit more flexiness will help producing spin in the beginning.
Once the touch is developed it's another story.

On the other hand your coach should know best what you're capable of.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
So just curious out of the following three blades which would you recommend to a “pretty amateur player” (with his choice of rubber)?

- Stiga Offensive Classic
- Stiga Azalea
- Xiom Offensive S

Personally I've used an Xiom Fuga with H3 Neo and Rakza 7 soft and liked it.

(Disclaimer: currently using Stiga Infinity with Rhyzer 48 & 43).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think the Offensive S is excellent. I have not tried the Azalea. But I doubt it would be significantly better than the Offensive S. And the Offensive S is more than $20 less.

The Offensive Classic is something that some people find great. And some feel is the opposite. I personally like them. But not everyone will. But it is a good blade with good flex and good feeling.