Current best OX LP and inverted/SP forehand attacking players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Are there any new up and coming or perhaps already established players using OX LP on the backhand and playing an attacking game on the forehand? Not necessarily at a 'top end' level either. Anything over USATT 2000 up to pro level? I'm looking to find some that are more attacking oriented, and not really the passive push-blocking sort who play BH 80%+ of the time.

Ones I can think of:

Manika Batra (somewhat BH heavy oriented)
Gustaf Ericson (chop heavy)
Liu Song (not youthful, of course)
Fabian Akerstrom

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This is not a good style with the long pimples today and with the new ball. I think these players will either try anti instead or/and start to become much more offensive because they do not get enough backspin to win nowdays. I will atleast think thay many will try anti instead, know that akerstrom tried. But i think Anti is a different style of play?

Or maybe players become more traditional choppers.

I think one in my club should try to play more like carl prean, offensive with long pimple to counteract the less backspin. Maybe you can try this.

I do not recommend anyone starting out to use the pushblocking style. It is still possible to play good with it but i think it is much harder nowdays and other styles is better to use if you want success.

Edit: it is to bad that they forbid the long pimple rubbers. Diversity is good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
This is not a good style with the long pimples today and with the new ball. I think these players will either try anti instead or/and start to become much more offensive because they do not get enough backspin to win nowdays. I will atleast think thay many will try anti instead, know that akerstrom tried. But i think Anti is a different style of play?

I think one in my club should try to play more like carl prean, offensive with long pimple to counteract the less backspin. Maybe you can try this.

I do not recommend anyone starting out to use the pushblocking style. It is still possible to play good with it but i think it is much harder nowdays and other styles is better to use if you want success.

I played a league match tonight with a you kid in my team who was about 13 and he used LP and was extremely aggressive with his inverted FH. He did the odd chop but he also did drives/loops with his LP BH which confused the hell out of the opponents as he seemed to reverse the spin at a fairly high tempo. I initially thought that he was using SP but he was using something called "Black Metal TT".

Obviously not world class but being 1600+ Swedish TTA ranking points at that age is very good.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I played a league match tonight with a you kid in my team who was about 13 and he used LP and was extremely aggressive with his inverted FH. He did the odd chop but he also did drives/loops with his LP BH which confused the hell out of the opponents as he seemed to reverse the spin at a fairly high tempo. I initially thought that he was using SP but he was using something called "Black Metal TT".

Obviously not world class but being 1600+ Swedish TTA ranking points at that age is very good.

I think that rubber is one of the more popular now. It is still possible to be good and play good with the style, But i think you need to be more aggressive and have a good forehand attack. In the past it was easier to win with just a safe push block i think. Still works, But not as easy. Still think this kid would have been even better ranked if he played in the era with the old long pimples and old ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I think that rubber is one of the more popular now. It is still possible to be good and play good with the style, But i think you need to be more aggressive and have a good forehand attack. In the past it was easier to win with just a safe push block i think. Still works, But not as easy. Still think this kid would have been even better ranked if he played in the era with the old long pimples and old ball.

Probably true but he seemed to enjoy himself which is super important. I love seeing kids really being happy and not complaining about the opponent (which is extremely common). Just as a side note: he was extremely aggressive and his chops was just a means to either FH loop or BH drive with his LP. Amazing foot work. Very unusual in our club as pretty much everyone plays "topspin everything".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Probably true but he seemed to enjoy himself which is super important. I love seeing kids really being happy and not complaining about the opponent (which is extremely common). Just as a side note: he was extremely aggressive and his chops was just a means to either FH loop or BH drive with his LP. Amazing foot work. Very unusual in our club as pretty much everyone plays "topspin everything".

Yes i enjoy diversity. I think it was a mistake to not allow the old long pimples anymore and make the ball bigger. Due to this i feel that more and more play the same and with less spin and finesse. But It feels like the new ball would suit short pimples okay so Maybe We Will see more diversity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I'm no LP expert but I've used 1615 for about two weeks (maybe 16-20h of play) and it's actually been a pleasure to play with. No pips broken even though I've experimented quite a bit with killing BH smashes (lots of people write stuff on forums that it breaks quite easily). It's way easier than grippy pips like Curl P1R (I believe that FL2 and 388D is in the same category as Curl P1R). A simple push gives a quite nasty wobble effect similar to more expensive pips like Dornenglanz. Amazing value for money at 7€ a sheet from AliExpress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I'm no LP expert but I've used 1615 for about two weeks (maybe 16-20h of play) and it's actually been a pleasure to play with. No pips broken even though I've experimented quite a bit with killing BH smashes (lots of people write stuff on forums that it breaks quite easily). It's way easier than grippy pips like Curl P1R (I believe that FL2 and 388D is in the same category as Curl P1R). A simple push gives a quite nasty wobble effect similar to more expensive pips like Dornenglanz. Amazing value for money at 7€ a sheet from AliExpress.

Yours is with or without sponge? I am kind of settled with OX for now with 388D.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

I think the problem with frictionless anti is it glues you to the table. Mainly talking about very high levels here. And if they play their forehand from a slightly farther back distance, the anti is pretty useless. You need to use it up close and blocking for it's full effectiveness. At lower levels I dont think it matters all that much, the chops will just come back with no spin or with some reversal.

I agree though for most people they need a good, strong fh to complement the lp ox or anti. Some players can get away with being dependent on the anti or ox lp still, but not many. Other players have great forehands but weak backhands, so just use the lp ox as a safety net until they can power loop another fh winner.

I'm transitioning to the fh style, using the lp for chop blocks and bump shots over the table while covering most of the shots with a fh. And at my level, I dont think the bh craze at pro games is that relevant. Nobody is going to be banana flicking me over and over or having a lethal and consistent backhand smash and loop at high speeds like harimoto etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The problem with frictionless anti is that you can do little with it. It is hard to be offensive with frictionless anti because it is not possible to put much top spin on the ball or changes the spin much at all. The only advantage I see that frictionless antis have over LP is that they are easier to play with close to the table. You just bounce the ball back but that is about all you can do unless you step around the ball and use your FH or twiddle. I can do both. It is necessary to be able to do one or the other, otherwise the opponent will play it safe hitting you hour anti on the BH. However, the same pretty much applies to LP.
LP 0X obviously has no sponge. LP 0X does not absorb energy very well. You have to have 'soft hands' to play with LP 0X so it is possible to block a fast ball back on to the table. When I serve against LP 0X I like to serve fast to the LP 0X. The LP 0X will bounce back with lots of energy so it will go high or long unless the LP player has 'soft hands'.

What is with this 'weak BH' myth? I am sure you can find people with 'weak BH' with any rubber. It doesn't mean that all junk rubbers players have 'weak BH'. I like to twiddle. It surprise the #$%^ out of opponents when the ball comes back fast with topspin and not slow with backspin. Sometime I make BH chops or pushes with my inverted just because I can get more spin with inverted than I can with my LP.

Reactions: tropical and pgpg