2019 Asian Cup April 5-7

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Not to derail this thread in the absence of matches but here is Ma Long at 14. For Harimoto at 14, watch T2.

https://youtu.be/99tgBH1n4Nc

People watching Harimoto often confuse technique with age.

technic will still change, especially if he has more power he will do other shots. but it won't change as much ofc as his strength

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes but we have to analyze todays HT, not the HT 5 years from now who we know nothing about.

Well we have the Ma Long from yesterday. Is his forehand as good as Harimoto's at the same age?

To be honest , I didn't want to get into it, but the analysis of the matchup is wrong. Ma Long is just significantly more powerful than Harimoto is so Harimoto has to make up for the deficit elsewhere. It is not a technique thing it is a power thing. So if Harimoto is not getting significant advantages early, he will be at a deficit in most of the rallies on bot forehand and backhand so his ability to change directions is key. Making it a technical issue misses the point. Harimoto also has a relatively weak backhand it is his close to the table speed that gives him an advantage in using it. But Ma Long is not a slow player so he needs more than that.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You are correct. But should we give leeway, make exceptions and excuses for HT because of his age? He's competing against players of equal skill level. His age is the explanation for his lack of power on the fh, but it's not his opponents fault that HT is so insanely talented that he has to compete against grown men. I don't think it's fair to devalue his opponents skills when HT is the one who's just so much before his time in so many areas. About the fh. Ma Long is a complete player nowadays but his natural instinct with his fh is something you just can't teach, same as HT's bh, the fluidity is just there. It's talent.

Well we have the Ma Long from yesterday. Is his forehand as good as Harimoto's at the same age?

To be honest , I didn't want to get into it, but the analysis of the matchup is wrong. Ma Long is just significantly more powerful than Harimoto is so Harimoto has to make up for the deficit elsewhere. It is not a technique thing it is a power thing. So if Harimoto is not getting significant advantages early, he will be at a deficit in most of the rallies on bot forehand and backhand so his ability to change directions is key. Making it a technical issue misses the point. Harimoto also has a relatively weak backhand it is his close to the table speed that gives him an advantage in using it. But Ma Long is not a slow player so he needs more than that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
a little bit off-topic

@Vlad Celler regarding your question

Yui HAMAMOTO's results are not good enough for her to be in the main JNT. I think she was still in the WTTC trials and kicked out in Round 1. She's a regular player in T-League in Kinoshita Tokyo along Kasumi ISHIKAWA and actually had ok results reflecting her current ranking. When she was in JNT, she had excellent results in ITTF U21 competitions, but she didn't make it on the big stage , or at least underperformed expectations alas.

But it doesn't matter, she's still the cutest player in Japan, but she sounds a bit dumb. Miyu MAEDA is cute as well, perhaps not as good as HAMAMOTO (but close), but she seems to be much more mature

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You are correct. But should we give leeway, make exceptions and excuses for HT because of his age? He's competing against players of equal skill level. His age is the explanation for his lack of power on the fh, but it's not his opponents fault that HT is so insanely talented that he has to compete against grown men. I don't think it's fair to devalue his opponents skills when HT is the one who's just so much before his time in so many areas. About the fh. Ma Long is a complete player nowadays but his natural instinct with his fh is something you just can't teach, same as HT's bh, the fluidity is just there. It's talent.
Look at the video when Ma Long was 14. Where was the talent?

Harimoto has a very powerful forehand, especially so for his age. Nothing to be ashamed of. But even on the backhand side Ma Long was overpowering him. Harimoto redirects and plays faster. But saying that Harimoto should be looping or something like that is just weird. No one holds the table like Harimoto does looping every ball. And once he backs up, the power and speed which are his advantages go away.

But if you think it is a technical issue and that Harimoto has a better backhand and weaker forehand (as opposed to the idea that Harimoto can play his style better on the backhand side than the forehand side because of power, speed and stroke size), that is the usual perspective and since it is common, I am trying to show another one.

This user has no status.
Back then celluloid was used which was a lot less demanding regarding physical strength. Additionally he didn't have the results Harimoto already had. Give Harimoto 2 more years...

Hey, we can give Harimoto 5 more years, his FH isn't likely to ever get to ML's level. Just look at Mizutani, he's been around forever and hasn't fixed his FH technique. I don't think a player can change his FH technique once he's settled on a style. Harimoto's FH technique is marginally better than Mizutani's, but nowhere near the textbook standard of ML and FZD. How can you surpass someone when you technique is fundamentally more flawed?
I'm not saying HT won't surpass ML as a player, just his FH won't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey, we can give Harimoto 5 more years, his FH isn't likely to ever get to ML's level. Just look at Mizutani, he's been around forever and hasn't fixed his FH technique. I don't think a player can change his FH technique once he's settled on a style. Harimoto's FH technique is marginally better than Mizutani's, but nowhere near the textbook standard of ML and FZD. How can you surpass someone when you technique is fundamentally more flawed?
I'm not saying HT won't surpass ML as a player, just his FH won't.

I think it Harimoto actually does much more with his forehand than he should because of the pressure to play vs. older players. What that means for his long term growth is not clear but the idea that his stroke is similar to Mizutani is ridiculous and is why I bring this up.

https://youtu.be/QNDOCm7g6ck?t=549

I suspect the real issue is that Butterfly will pay him too much to use boosted Hurricane.

Last edited:

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Because Harimoto (as a Japanese) is not part of the chinese national team he can't play a lot against the likes of Ma Long or Fan Zhendong. I hope he wins against Sangsu and plays against Fan Zhendong. He needs much more games against these players.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The venue is packed.

0HK2cl4.jpg

9KrUURk.jpg

6knpgvU.jpg

BQveWV4.jpg

fs6pj27.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Nope, so refreshing.

Ishikawa self-detonated on her serve at 9:10. LOL!!!

I can tell the ump for this match also umpires badminton matches.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
For those who can't get the stream to work.

Live on CCTV 5+ now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
A little random here but it seems Feng Tianwei is on a roll this tournament? 3-0 Ishikawa and now 4-0 Jeon. Maybe she will beat ZYL in the SF? Would be nice to see Hirano emerge victorious during the QF match with ZYL but, hmm.

Jan 2018
CIC has withdrawn due to injury. CM waiting in F.

Jan 2018
ZYL vs Hirano
5:0, 5:7, 6:7, 6:10, 9:10, Hirano's TO, 9:11. Hirano finally knows when to slow down this time.

6:2, 8:7, ZYL's TO, 11:7. This Hirano feels like the one from 2016. She doesn't force every shot now.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
interesting first set hirano vs zhu - they are both very nervous.
Zhu was leading 5:0
then Hirano took 7 points in a row
Zhu 1 point to 6:7
Hirano next 3 poins to have 10:6
Zhu came back with 3 direct points
With 10:9 hirano took time out (i think unnecesary) but she got lucky with the edge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Both Japanese win their QF matches 4-1 and both Chinese win their QF matches 4-1, too (speaking about men's).

Semi-finals will be FZD-TH and ML-KN
Match ups couldn't be more exciting in my opinion! Really looking forward to the matches :)

ML vs KN is no brainer to predict. FZD vs TH will be quite interesting. Not sure which way it will go.