CNT's WTTC Warm-Up Matches

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
As mentioned elsewhere, CNT has the tradition of holding 'warm-up' matches before each major competition. In preparation for WTTC later this month, a total of 18 matches will be held to assess the form of the registered players. Seems like the opponents selected are meant to mimic either i) specific styles; ii) particular foreign players who threaten the entire team or; iii) those from within the national team itself who have proven to be strong against the players participating in the upcoming WTTC. In view of the recently concluded Qatar Open, some changes have been made to the initial roster.

cache.php

4th April 2019 (Thursday)

1900h
– Table 1: Wang Manyu vs Wu Yang -> playing defenders hasn't always been easy for WMY
– Table 2: Wang Chuqin/Zhou Qihao vs Zhang Yudong/Sun Wen -> I imagine Zhou Qihao is supposed to mimic Ma Long so that WCQ can still gain some doubles practice

1945h
– Table 1: Liang Jingkun vs Zhao Zihao
– Table 2: Sun Yingsha vs Gu Yuting -> left-handed females like Ishikawa Kasumi

2030h
– Table 1: Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen vs Zhou Yu/Yan An
– Table 2: Ding Ning vs Sun Mingyang -> Ito obviously

5th April 2019 (Friday)

1000h
– Table 1: Lin Gaoyuan vs Yu Ziyang
– Table 2: Liang Jingkun vs Zhou Yu

1045h
– Table 1: Ding Ning vs Li Jiayi (previously Wang Yidi who had beaten DN during Marvellous 12)
– Table 2: Wang Manyu/Sun Yingsha vs Liu Gaoyang/Sun Mingyang -> Ito & Hayata

1130h
– Table 1: Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen vs Zhang Rui/Yu Ziyang -> Ito & Morizono
– Table 2: Wang Chuqin/Zhou Qihao vs Liu Dingshuo/Zhou Yu -> practice against the many left/right male doubles pairs like Wong/Ho, Morizono/Oshima, Liao/Lin, Falck/Karlsson

1400h
– Table 1: Sun Yingsha vs Liu Fei -> likewise SYS doesn't do that well against defenders
– Table 2: Lin Gaoyuan/Liang Jingkun vs Cheng Jingqi/Fang Bo

1445h
– Table 1: Xu Xin vs Yu Ziyang -> YZY beat XX during Marvellous 12
– Table 2: Wang Manyu vs Zhang Rui -> Ito

1530h
– Table 1: Liu Shiwen vs Sun Mingyang -> Ito
– Table 2: Lin Gaoyuan vs Xu Chenhao -> LGY lost to XCH during Marvellous 12

*The above games will not be streamed on CCTV5 as far as I know, only Zhibo so perhaps some good samaritan with China VPN can share the videos with the rest
**Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, Chen Meng and Zhu Yuling will not participate because they will be playing at the Asian Cup in Japan.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Meanwhile, if people are interested XD. Quite a number of changes to the schedule, again.

4th April 2019 (Thursday)

1900h
– Table 1: Wang Manyu 4:1 Wu Yang (the actual score is 3:1 but WY had to pull out because she was injured)

– Table 2: Lin Gaoyuan 4:3 Xu Chenhao
1945h
– Table 1: Liang Jingkun 4:2 Zhao Zihao

– Table 2: Sun Yingsha 3:4 Gu Yuting -> Surprising! But probably quelled the rumours that SYS lost to LSW on purpose in Qatar

2030h
– Table 1: Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen 2:4 Zhou Yu/Yan An

– Table 2: Wang Manyu 4:2 Sun Mingyang

5th April 2019 (Friday)

1000h
– Table 1: Lin Gaoyuan/Liang Jingkun 3:1 Cheng Jingqi/Fang Bo
– Table 2: Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen 4:0 Yu Ziyang/Zhang Rui

1045h
– Table 1: Ding Ning 4:0 Li Jiayi

– Table 2: Wang Manyu/Sun Yingsha 1:3 Liu Gaoyang/Sun Mingyang

1130h
– Table 1: Lin Gaoyuan 2:4 Yu Ziyang

– Table 2: Wang Chuqin/Zhou Qihao 1:3 Zhou Yu/Yan An

1400h
– Table 1: Sun Yingsha 4:1 Liu Fei

– Table 2: Liang Jingkun 4:1 Zhou Yu

1445h
– Table 1: Chen Xingtong 4:2 Sun Mingyang -> not quite sure what was the point of this match because neither are going to WTTC

– Table 2: Wang Chuqin/Zhou Qihao 3:1 Zhang Yudong/Sun Wen

1530h
– Table 1: Xu Xin 3:1 Yu Ziyang

– Table 2: Wang Manyu 3:4 Liu Fei

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Wang Manyu 3:4 Liu Fei, huh? Wonder if some rest would be a better preparation for them than this. I mean she did the Marvelous 12, then Qatar and then this with hardly any breaks in between.

The closed-door training camp between M12 and Qatar should have augmented her ability to play against defenders though but it doesn't look like she is faring any better against them. For me, she just doesn't do well against people (e.g. male players who are stronger than her) or styles (choppers who add a lot of spin) that she cannot smash her way through.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Maybe I'm wrong and I don't remember well but... she has played many defenders since her debut on the Pro Tour and continental events but never lost one match against a defender as far as I remember..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Looks like even yu ziyang has changed from w968 to a viscaria. Among men i think except xu xin everyone was using viscaria in these trials.That is interesting. CNT likes viscaria so much :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Still two weeks to go. They need to find all the possible problems through the real games and solve the problem in the next two weeks. Liu Guoliang said:"The more problem you can find before the big game, the better".

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Maybe I'm wrong and I don't remember well but... she has played many defenders since her debut on the Pro Tour and continental events but never lost one match against a defender as far as I remember..

Yeah, she didn't lose to them but most of the matches were won through a gruelling process which is why she was matched up against two defenders for this warm-up (Wu Yang & Liu Fei).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
The CNT has left for Austria to begin the last phase of their WTTC preparations, one of which includes overcoming jet lag XD.

cache.php

Aside from those participating in the events, the men's and women's teams have brought along other players as practice partners.

cache.php

Wang Yidi, Chen Ke, Liu Fei, Gu Yuting, Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen, Chen Meng, Zhu Yuling, Wang Manyu, Sun Yingsha, Zhang Rui, Sun Mingyang.

One thing I always don't understand is why CM and SYS's coach Huang Haicheng never follows them for international tournaments.

cache.php

Yu Ziyang, Zhou Qihao, Wang Chuqin, Lin Gaoyuan, Fan Zhendong, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Liang Jingkun, Sun Wen, Xu Chenhao, Zhao Zihao.

Liu Gaoliang has expressed that they are obviously eyeing the gold medals for the Men's Singles, Women's Singles and Mixed Doubles events at the upcoming WTTC because those made up the Olympics. He believes that they have sent the strongest team to realise those goals. For the other Doubles events, the main goal is to train the younger players.

“男、女单打和混双我们志在必得,因为这两项是奥运项目,根据我们的奥运战略,我们派出了最强阵容。双打方面,我们以锻炼(年轻)队员为主。”出征仪式现场,中国乒协主席刘国梁这样说道。"

Looking forward to more interesting discussions in two/three weeks' time!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
There's some talent in these pics :)

The CNT has left for Austria to begin the last phase of their WTTC preparations, one of which includes overcoming jet lag XD.

cache.php

Aside from those participating in the events, the men's and women's teams have brought along other players as practice partners.

cache.php

Wang Yidi, Chen Ke, Liu Fei, Gu Yuting, Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen, Chen Meng, Zhu Yuling, Wang Manyu, Sun Yingsha, Zhang Rui, Sun Mingyang.

One thing I always don't understand is why CM and SYS's coach Huang Haicheng never follows them for international tournaments.

cache.php

Yu Ziyang, Zhou Qihao, Wang Chuqin, Lin Gaoyuan, Fan Zhendong, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Liang Jingkun, Sun Wen, Xu Chenhao, Zhao Zihao.

Liu Gaoliang has expressed that they are obviously eyeing the gold medals for the Men's Singles, Women's Singles and Mixed Doubles events at the upcoming WTTC because those made up the Olympics. He believes that they have sent the strongest team to realise those goals. For the other Doubles events, the main goal is to train the younger players.

“男、女单打和混双我们志在必得,因为这两项是奥运项目,根据我们的奥运战略,我们派出了最强阵容。双打方面,我们以锻炼(年轻)队员为主。”出征仪式现场,中国乒协主席刘国梁这样说道。"

Looking forward to more interesting discussions in two/three weeks' time!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
the guy's afraid to fly? Only reason I can come up with :)

There are rumours that CM will be coached by Ma Lin too, which personally I find unfair to both her and LSW because the other core players all have their own 'personalised' trainers (i.e. Ding Ning & Guo Yan, Zhu Yuling & Qiu Yike, Wang Manyu & Xiao Zhan). While these coaches also co-supervise other 'lower-tiered' players, I think it stands to reason that they should not have to divide their attention between two core players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Some interesting short clips from the CNT's pre-WTTC training in Austria.

Ma Long vs Liu Shiwen
[video]http://t.cn/EXSbQA6?m=4361660166083418&u=1002861732[/video]

Ma Long vs Ding Ning
[video]http://t.cn/EXaBG4F?m=4361650242361586&u=1002861732[/video]

Lin Gaoyuan vs Wang Manyu
[video]http://t.cn/EXaTWrJ?m=4361644609855301&u=1002861732[/video]

Fan Zhendong vs Liu Shiwen
[video]http://t.cn/EXaNOZX?m=4361640302751293&u=1002861732[/video]

Also, it seems like Li Sun might be coaching Sun Yingsha.

cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I'm just curious. In the Lin Gaoyuan vs Wang Manyu match, did Wang Manyu win? It seems that after Lin missed the last shot, both Wang Manyu and Lin Gaoyuan shook hands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I'm just curious. In the Lin Gaoyuan vs Wang Manyu match, did Wang Manyu win? It seems that after Lin missed the last shot, both Wang Manyu and Lin Gaoyuan shook hands.

Yeah, according to recent reports he did lose to WMY (gasp). Chen Meng also beat Fan Zhendong.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Austia national team train with CNT together. quite funny.
CNT girls also played against Austria men(and wined). there's also videos.

but mens surrender 2-4 points to the girls. the match start from like girls 4:1 in the lead.

Reactions: Atas Newton