Mizutani's Vision Problems

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Mizutani started having problems seeing the ball roughly 1 year ago. If people remember, he first played with sunglasses on at the WTTC 2018. He first revealed his problem in an interview with Table Tennis Report(Butterlfy's magazine) in Feb, 2019. He then went over the details in another interview with Rallys just a week ago, which got widely reported.

His left eye started deteriorating in 2014 and he had Lasik. Then last year, his right eye got worse as well all of a sudden and this time the Lasik didn't help much. He went to the US for consultation and the issue he can't see the ball isn't related to the Lasik. Mizutani says he can't see the ball under certain conditions, particularly with stage lighting and LED billboards. Now, he's only able to play at 30%, and 50% with glasses on.

This user has no status.
This kind of reminds me that XX has very poor eyesight as well. Fortunately, he's only very nearsighted (nothing a pair of contact lenses couldn't fix) and not bothered by lighting like Mizutani. The running gag among CNT is that XX is the best half-blind player in the world. They might have to change this reference to include Mizutani in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Wow, I feel really sorry for him. Hope it is possible to find a solution. I am extremely nearsighted and use glasses. I do see better with glasses than with contact lenses, so I usually keep them on, even if they sometimes move around a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Wow, I feel really sorry for him. Hope it is possible to find a solution. I am extremely nearsighted and use glasses. I do see better with glasses than with contact lenses, so I usually keep them on, even if they sometimes move around a little.
I once had a ball ricochet off the edge of my blade into my glasses and it broke off one temple :) It was probably gonna fail soon anyways but I was still quite surprised.