Table Tennis and Powerlifting

This user has no status.
In the grand scheme of life, I rank table tennis and skiing as my most important hobbies. I rank powerlifting and music as passions, rather than hobbies, because they've kept me off of depression/anxiety medication for over half of my life. I'm finding it harder and harder to recover from powerlifting AND table tennis in the same week and am not sure how to structure my training plans to minimize interference. Right now I lift twice a week and play TT matches once a week, with a few robot sessions throughout the week time permitting. I think I need to switch my lifting days so that TT is after my upper body lifting days and so that my lower body lifting days are at least 2 days after TT matches. Any hints/tips on how to mix the 2? For context I'm about a 1300 USATT 2 wing looper that likes to block too, and my powerlifting total is around 1250lbs, entailing a 450 squat, 300 bench, and 500 deadlift. Short term (this year) goals are 1500 USATT and 1300lb total.

says Hi TT Comunity!
Hey Thekleifheit13, according to exercise, 1st. if i were you i tried to start getting healthy food and as much carbs ( good carbs ) the better for you... 2nd. the rest is your best friend for recovery, 3rd. Stretch everytime with a good warm up and after that you can do everything!

other thing i want to mention is about the depression, i know 100% that all depression does not have to do with brain, cells, ect ect, it is all about demons , claim the name of Jesus and you will be heal or will be free of that

This user has no status.
Hey Thekleifheit13, according to exercise, 1st. if i were you i tried to start getting healthy food and as much carbs ( good carbs ) the better for you... 2nd. the rest is your best friend for recovery, 3rd. Stretch everytime with a good warm up and after that you can do everything!

other thing i want to mention is about the depression, i know 100% that all depression does not have to do with brain, cells, ect ect, it is all about demons , claim the name of Jesus and you will be heal or will be free of that

Last time I did a food journal I was around 300g of carbs, guess I could try and keep increasing until I start seeing weight gain and then drop them a little. I'm very adamant about the Agile 8 for a warm-up and I stretch for about 10 minutes after any activity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I have tt practice mondays and thursdays. I usually train lower body on tuesday and upper body on wednesday. With enough food, vitamins etc. and plenty of sleep I don't feel any soreness when playing tt on thursdays. If the weekend is free from matches I try to do some more lifting then, just making sure not to train legs on sundays. This works well for me at least

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I can not much about powerlifting. I also think you should be careful to lift to much. My sister have very much trouble with the body after much weigthlifting. From the doctors and physios she have met not everyones bodys can do that kind of lifting. Once again, i do not much about powerlifting but be careful. This have seriosuly affected my sisters life in a bad way.

I think it is important to eat well and sleep well so the body recovers good. Stretching is not proven to work is it? but maybe that can help. I also think that if you have alot of muscles you need to warm up well to get the body ready for tabltennis and avoid getting injuries.

This user has no status.
How is your lifting structured? Do you lift heavy % of max on each of the two days? Have you experiment with light/medium/heavy days or weeks?

I currently run 5/3/1 where you work up to 1 heavy set with a compound movement (squat, bench, deadlift, standing press) each day, then follow it up with lighter assistance work. The heavy set is never heavier than 90% of my max though.

This user has no status.
Carbs and sugars especially have a link to depression so be careful. Sleep is important for all things in life. So is sun exposure.

I try to keep sugars low but without at least 300g carbs a day I start losing muscle, strength, and endurance. So I'll have to keep them elevated. Regarding anxiety/depression, they're pretty well under control. I quit lifting for a few months in college thanks to heavy workload and the anxiety especially got bad. But as long as I keep lifting and playing music I stay in a decent headspace.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I currently run 5/3/1 where you work up to 1 heavy set with a compound movement (squat, bench, deadlift, standing press) each day, then follow it up with lighter assistance work. The heavy set is never heavier than 90% of my max though.

For the natural lifters, many were fond of the light/medium/heavy days to aid in recovery and progression. For instance on monday you only work with 60% of your max at most for the light day. Then on a heavy day you go up to the 90% or close to it and the next session go for medium 70-80%. So you're not always taxing the muscles at near maximal levels every lifting day. It helps grooving the CNS and not burning the muscles out, while still working them out.

The recommended split days and such that pros put out in magazines or online articles are often nearly impossible for a truly natural lifter to stick with. Especially if you're already having problems with recovery time, you may want to tone down the %'s on more days. I'd assume you're still fairly young, so the HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY!! mentality is still strong within :p

Last edited:
Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
For the natural lifters, many were fond of the light/medium/heavy days to aid in recovery and progression. For instance on monday you only work with 60% of your max at most for the light day. Then on a heavy day you go up to the 90% or close to it and the next session go for medium 70-80%. So you're not always taxing the muscles at near maximal levels every lifting day. It helps grooving the CNS and not burning the muscles out, while still working them out.

The recommended split days and such that pros put out in magazines or online articles are often nearly impossible for a truly natural lifter to stick with. Especially if you're already having problems with recovery time, you may want to tone down the %'s on more days. I'd assume you're still fairly young, so the HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY!! mentality is still strong within :p

I'm probably gonna start of by re-setting my training max for all the lifts so that my working weights are at a lower % of my actual maxes and see if it helps. And I'll try and leave another rep or two in the tank on my AMRAP sets to see if that helps. Luckily I've never been dumb enough to fall for muscle magazine routines and have always been a full body or upper/lower split kinda guy.