Am I too old?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I have lost quiet important match - i lost our team whole season... so it simply mean that i am not so good for something better and in my age probably i will not get better- what coach want to train old prople.... It is interesting that few weeks ago I played much better :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have lost quiet important match - i lost our team whole season... so it simply mean that i am not so good for something better and in my age probably i will not get better- what coach want to train old prople.... It is interesting that few weeks ago I played much better :(

Every good player like yourself goes through this. Revisit in two weeks. This is not the time to take what you think seriously. Even me right now I lost two matches yesterday, I feel like ****. But good coaches have told me this is normal when you feel down after losing so you need to just balance out the winning with the losing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Yes sometimes you loose and sometimes win. But sometimes you should win, because if you loose, you loose whole season what you played for... and i messed it up. And if i mess it up in low league in 30, thhere is not any much chance to play better. I will just get older.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would say in the 20s, its all about accomplishments
in 30s, its all about a balance of fun and accomplisments
in 40s (which I am not there yet), it is about fun.

I know a lot of former higher level players that would travel the world to play in World Veterans

You are not too far away from that, so why don't you give it all you have and train hard now, get a good domestic result, and have fun taking part in world vets?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I am 65 and play 4 times, sometimes 5 times a week for 1.5 to 2hours a day.
I play table tennis, therefore I am.
I can think, move and see too.
I have my own table tennis area at work. I have a bucket of balls so we only need to pick up balls once at mid session and at the end. It is more aerobic this way.

I play with a guy that is 76. He is overweight but still moves surprisingly well. I would like to be able to move as well 11 years from now. I know this old guy plays twice a week at least.

The club has a session form 12pm to 3pm where the prices is only $3 for members and $4 for non-members. There are a few retired regulars there. BTW, some of the retired regulars got much better after retiring because they could play so much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
My current after all I have gone, is in hell. My future (new season - hope will be great - I used to workout, running, doing hit traing etc. a lot, because when I stopped played TT, I was doing fight sport, so there it was mostly only about fitness level)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I don't know you, but to me what I gather from what you write here on the forum you focus more on problems than on solutions. Instead of thinking "I can't do it" you should ask yourself "how can I do it, how can it be done" and go from there.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Hi, thanks a lot everyone for nice reply! So this week I was playing against better players and I lost all, so I finally know the answer. I am probably old to learn it again.

I know loss can be disheartening, but you're jumping to conclusions here. Even when younger, learning and improvement is not a fast and linear process. Sometimes you make a jump and suddenly unlock a new playing level, sometimes you get in a slump for a while and have to grit your teeth grinding it while slowly digging yourself out of the pit. This is hard and slow work even when young, and it gets harder and more tedious the older you get; but the process is the same. And at some point, you won't improve anymore; everybody peaks at some point. Even Ma Long reaches the Top Ma Long plateau at some point. You don't know the height of that peak until you reach it... so you just keep grinding at it.

If you're the player from these stats posted before, your level is already quite respectable. The higher you go, the harder the ascent; do you have a coach you can trust to take you where you need to be taken?

Last edited:
I am 65 and play 4 times, sometimes 5 times a week for 1.5 to 2hours a day.
I play table tennis, therefore I am.
I can think, move and see too.
I have my own table tennis area at work. I have a bucket of balls so we only need to pick up balls once at mid session and at the end. It is more aerobic this way.

I play with a guy that is 76. He is overweight but still moves surprisingly well. I would like to be able to move as well 11 years from now. I know this old guy plays twice a week at least.

The club has a session form 12pm to 3pm where the prices is only $3 for members and $4 for non-members. There are a few retired regulars there. BTW, some of the retired regulars got much better after retiring because they could play so much.

Congrats!

In our club we have a lot of veterans 50+,60+, 70+.
And we have champions and prizors in all these groups.

To the OP : So -yes, don't give up and play till you can, at least for joy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Thank you, to be honest my level is in the stats, but it is quiet sucks according to my opinion (this is why I started this threed, because to learn something you can start in any age to do almost whatever, but to learn something good, this is question

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
As I grow older, I just think of one session at a time, one improvement at a time and always to stay calm and relaxed. When I play, I just want to put my 100% and when I leave the table, I should have a feeling that I did the best as per my ability. Be it my physical ability or my tactics or my strategy. It is very difficult to achieve, since every time when I play and leave the table, I always think that I didn't do that or didn't do this. But i figured that it is my mistake that I don't have a structured approach towards my game. Initially, I was just playing, but table tennis is much more than just hitting and so many possibilities. But as I simplify my approach, I realized that I don't need all the weapons in the book to win a match. Also, I am realizing the difference between "just-right" amount of effort and too much effort. So for me, it not about my opponent but about me. How I choose to respond and that always makes a difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As I grow older, I just think of one session at a time, one improvement at a time and always to stay calm and relaxed. When I play, I just want to put my 100% and when I leave the table, I should have a feeling that I did the best as per my ability. Be it my physical ability or my tactics or my strategy. It is very difficult to achieve, since every time when I play and leave the table, I always think that I didn't do that or didn't do this. But i figured that it is my mistake that I don't have a structured approach towards my game. Initially, I was just playing, but table tennis is much more than just hitting and so many possibilities. But as I simplify my approach, I realized that I don't need all the weapons in the book to win a match. Also, I am realizing the difference between "just-right" amount of effort and too much effort. So for me, it not about my opponent but about me. How I choose to respond and that always makes a difference.

Well said. I am realizing the importance of this lesson too with less time to train. You have to define what you do and do it well.