Am I too old?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hello,

please do you have any experiaence with improving in older age? I am 30,5 woman and I started play TT after 7 years 4 months ago. Probably next season I should play second highest national league and in the national tournament I ended between 32 this year. But I would like to improve more, on the other hand I have a feeling, if the training and everything is not just wasting of the time and money and If I am not too old for TT.

Thanks a lot for your advice and experience

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
What are your goals?

Most people physically peak before 30, and I think the past grand slam winners and world champions rarely ever are much over 30.

So if reaching the absolute top is all that matters, then yes, you're getting a bit old, sorry. Outside the absolute top, and even quite near it, people play TT at astounding ages at astounding levels. Ni Xialian still plays the world championships (and has caused some minor upsets doing so). I think she is 55 now; that's even older than I am.

Timo Boll and Vladimir Samsonov are still high up in the men's top 100. Boll is nearing 40, and Samsonov is a couple of years beyond.

As improvement at higher ages goes, well, most of the top players started young. However, some of them were later to the game - Primorac and Vriesekoop at 12, Desmond Douglas at 14; but I'm not aware of starting adults reaching the very top.

Myself, I played quite a bit when young and then didn't do anything with that for about 30 years. So I consider myself an adult learner, these days. I know I won't ever make the top and expect to reach a plateau at some point in the near future. Yet for the last few years, I've still been improving steadily, with a remarkably linear progression in rating marked by a few dips that coincide with periods of injury and recovery.

And I'm having a lot of fun playing, even without significant titles in my future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You peak when you have trained enough years. Age is nothing to Do with it. Age is only a problem if you has problem with your physical Ability.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
What are your goals?

Most people physically peak before 30, and I think the past grand slam winners and world champions rarely ever are much over 30.

So if reaching the absolute top is all that matters, then yes, you're getting a bit old, sorry. Outside the absolute top, and even quite near it, people play TT at astounding ages at astounding levels. Ni Xialian still plays the world championships (and has caused some minor upsets doing so). I think she is 55 now; that's even older than I am.

Timo Boll and Vladimir Samsonov are still high up in the men's top 100. Boll is nearing 40, and Samsonov is a couple of years beyond.

As improvement at higher ages goes, well, most of the top players started young. However, some of them were later to the game - Primorac and Vriesekoop at 12, Desmond Douglas at 14; but I'm not aware of starting adults reaching the very top.

Myself, I played quite a bit when young and then didn't do anything with that for about 30 years. So I consider myself an adult learner, these days. I know I won't ever make the top and expect to reach a plateau at some point in the near future. Yet for the last few years, I've still been improving steadily, with a remarkably linear progression in rating marked by a few dips that coincide with periods of injury and recovery.

And I'm having a lot of fun playing, even without significant titles in my future.

Go on, Yoass. I know I once made fun of your 100% seasonal win target and I regret that.

For what it's worth, I was once beaten by a 78-year-old and felt very much humbled. :eek:

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Thank you a lot all of you, I don´t wanna get Olympic, just let say top 10 in my country? (I can train in maximum 5 times a week). As I told, I am not starting to learn it now, but I am scared, that there is no chance in my age for any improvement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You can 100% definitely improve no matter what age you are. But you need a competent coach with time to spare to help you out.

Thank you a lot all of you, I don´t wanna get Olympic, just let say top 10 in my country? (I can train in maximum 5 times a week). As I told, I am not starting to learn it now, but I am scared, that there is no chance in my age for any improvement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I am interested in why you think your age should be a problem?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Why? Because TT is sport where brain, muscles and all has to be in connection. And in my age the muscles are alower, regeneration is slower (for example 5years ago I was able to train hard (not TT, but lets say morning running, evening gym) 8 - 10times a week, right now I am able to train only about once a day - because of work, family, and also body is slower). Also the connection between neurons (i mean the reaction time) will probabably be slower than in 15 etc.. And most of girls I will compete are much younger.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Go on, Yoass. I know I once made fun of your 100% seasonal win target and I regret that.

For what it's worth, I was once beaten by a 78-year-old and felt very much humbled. :eek:

Well, thanks. As an encouragement to the OP, I didn’t just set out that goal of playing a 100% win, I managed to achieve that ridiculously ambitious goal. Well over 50, and starting out while recovering from injury.

Age comes with risks and imposes limits, but at 30-something there’s no reason these limits are what’s keeping you.

At that age you probably still recover fast from intense physical strain. At some point that stops and daily vigourous training becomes impossible, but as long as that’s not the case a training regime with five sessions a week (and a good coach!) may just take you very, very far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I don't know how big is TT in your country. but if you already have a good level, and willing to train as much and as hard as pro do, 6 or 7 days a week, with physical training, and a professional coach to help you, then you will improve dramatically. Will that be enough to get to top 10 ? i don't know.. you have to try !!

Maybe in top 10 in veteran category when you hit 40 or 50.. much more likely !

This user has no status.
Never! Check out Vladi, Persson, Hi Zhi Wen and Waldner. You are over 10 years younger than Vladi. Imagine how good you could be in 10 years.

Even when you get older there's veteran table tennis which has one of the most dynamic and interesting veteran scenes of most sports!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Well, if I'm not mistaken and its you, then you are doing great - 48 wins in 59 matches is more than good, and your thrend is straight up, so I think you'll have some more years to go better.

https://www.elost.cz/st/hrac/martina_sobkova_1988

wish you luck and success.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi, thanks a lot everyone for nice reply! So this week I was playing against better players and I lost all, so I finally know the answer. I am probably old to learn it again.

How you think about table tennis after losing is always affected by the losses. Playing against better players, losing is the natural result. The real issue is whether you can improve under the guidance of a proper coach.