Training Balls

says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
Aug 2017
Its been a few years since I've trained seriously and trying to get back to it now. Our club still uses celluloid balls so I need to get my own plastic ones for training and multiball.
Looking to get 60-100 for starters, probably 2* or more as will use them for training/practice matches as well as multiball. Looks like D40 is the most popular, although I've seen many negative comments about them too?

Looking them up on aliexpress there seem to be D40 and D40+, whats the difference, both seem to be plastic? Are there any other good alternatives around the same price/quality ratio?

Also, any recommended stores to buy from to ensure good quality?

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
DHS D40 (Ma Long pictured box) is widely seen as a horrible ball.

Many people have shared very positive experiences with the D40+ (Ding Ning pictured box). My experiences are poor, but seem to be an outlier. I won't buy them again (once bitten, twice shy) but many do and are happy with them, apparently.

As match balls go, I've become smitten with the Stiga Perform 40+ threestar ball. Best thing I've played; it replaced the XSF seamless threestar ball, which I also consider to be excellent but is more expensive and tends to be a bit more fragile.

For trainingsball, hard not to like the Kinson K-40+ onestar. Consistent quality, good bounce, decent spin; better than most threestars, and nearly as good as the better ones and affordably priced; excellent value for money. I know of no twostar balls better than this one.

says testing
says testing
Apr 2019
I would not recommend DHS 40+ balls as the quality is way off. 30% of the balls would be of weird oblong shapes. You can try Sanwei 3w 2 star balls, costs about $24/100 but are definitely of superior quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-plastic-seamed-new-material/32963402803.html

I primarily use them on my robot and they do way better than the other cheap training balls I have tried (DHS, Doublefish etc.)

Aug 2017
Last edited:
Aug 2017
I would not recommend DHS 40+ balls as the quality is way off. 30% of the balls would be of weird oblong shapes. You can try Sanwei 3w 2 star balls, costs about $24/100 but are definitely of superior quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-plastic-seamed-new-material/32963402803.html

I primarily use them on my robot and they do way better than the other cheap training balls I have tried (DHS, Doublefish etc.)

Are you comparing to D40+ 1* or 3*?

I haven't played with the Sanwei so will check it out, and they are cheap!
If I was getting the D40+ I would probably just get 3* as they are not much more expensive than 1*, I would have assumed the quality of 3* would be much better?

This user has no status.

Sorry, should have been clearer - the balls provided in the club are celluloid so I am looking for plastic balls for my own training
Why would any club continue to use celluloid balls?Surely you should at very least persuade them to use modern plastic balls? If anyone from the club plays competitive table tennis then surely they use plastic 40+ balls.

Aug 2017
Yes, it's incredible that they still insist on using the old balls. It's a big club that even hosts many competitions and has many players who compete. It's purely to keep running costs down

This user has no status.
Yes, it's incredible that they still insist on using the old balls. It's a big club that even hosts many competitions and has many players who compete. It's purely to keep running costs down
That's a shame they dont want to move with the times. I've been stockpiling the new plastic balls prior to Brexit just in case there is a shortage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I recommend Sanwei balls as well, bought 500 of them to use at home, very nice quality (build quality and roundness), I'd say it's on par with some of the ittf approved 3 star balls. I've also heard that the reason it's not ittf approved is only due to lowering the cost and a lot of the regional tournaments in China use them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I do love it on here when folks say things like "bought 500 of them to use at HOME" and tell us of the very expensive gear they buy when some clubs can't seem to afford 500 for the full club to use. What jobs do you guys have?And I assume you have a robot in the extension?

I don't go to clubs, I have a personal coach and play with friends at my company, on the days I don't have training I practice at home for fun and exercise. And why do you make it sound like 500 balls are very expensive? It's not, not even close to some high end blades out there. Also, do I smell a little jelly there? Hmm, tasty tasty jelly. :cool::rolleyes:

This user has no status.
I don't go to clubs, I have a personal coach and play with friends at my company, on the days I don't have training I practice at home for fun and exercise. And why do you make it sound like 500 balls are very expensive? It's not, not even close to some high end blades out there. Also, do I smell a little jelly there? Hmm, tasty tasty jelly. :cool::rolleyes:
With an attitude like that I am not surprised you don’t go to a club. I hope you continue to enjoy playing with yourself!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
With an attitude like that I am not surprised you don’t go to a club. I hope you continue to enjoy playing with yourself!

Yeah, exactly, I'm the one with an attitude. lol ;) I'm just happy I don't play with someone like you.

Anyway, getting back to the subject of training balls, while someone can keep being jelly, I've also tried two lesser known brands on amazon (​MAPOL and KEVENZ), horrible quality, breaks very easily and half the balls are not round. So, unless you are desperate, don't buy those.