Can you tell me what the outermost layer of my blade may be?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Many people say that the feel of the blade is most affected by the outermost layer. I don't know what type of wood the outermost pile is, but it comes off easily and doesn't have much vibration and is bouncy although it is a 5-ply allwood blade.

1. Can you guys tell me what the outermost layer of my blade may be?

2. Also, I am looking into transitioning into carbon or alc blades, do you guys think viscaria or primorac carbon will have similar/different feelings with the blade(considering what the outermost layer is made out of)? If significantly different, what does it feel like?

I think the layer is ayous, but I'm not sure.

20190408_225808.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
What's the name of your blade?
Hard to tell just from this one pic.
You could also look into www.stervinou.net
Their database is quite accurate and useful.

Changing to a composite blade will numb the feeling and vibrations so you will hardly get a lot feedback whether you've hit the ball good or not.
Depends on your level and what you're looking for whether it is recommendable or not.

says Hi TT Comunity!
Hey man thanks for this Web Page i am looking at that right now and
let me tell you how here in Dominican Republic we call great things '' GRASA''

this is a Grasa information hehehehe

Thank you again!!

What's the name of your blade?
Hard to tell just from this one pic.
You could also look into www.stervinou.net
Their database is quite accurate and useful.

Changing to a composite blade will numb the feeling and vibrations so you will hardly get a lot feedback whether you've hit the ball good or not.
Depends on your level and what you're looking for whether it is recommendable or not.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
If you want a similar feeling to an all wood blade then getting a composite blade with inner layer carbons will be the way to go, there are quite a few options out there, namely DHS Hurricane 301, DHS Hurricane Long 5, Butterfly Innerforce Layer series (which is on the more expensive side). I'd suggest try out DHS Hurricane 301 first since it's relatively cheap but still has a decent feel to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
This is Limba. 100%.
You will not find a carbon / ALC blade that has a similar feeling then your blade (Tibhar Chila?) simply because it has a Limba top layer.
It is always the whole blade composition that defines how a blade plays.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yes, looks like limba.

And no, the feel is not only dependent on the top layer, the entire composition matters. Inner carbon will feel completely different even if the top layer is still limba.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Thank you guys for the comments. Can you guys give me some recommendations for a new blade from the following choices: viscaria, primorac carbon or schlager light. I'm looking into transitioning into carbon/ALC blades recommended by my coach.

I am a forehand oriented offensive player who doesn't like getting vibration from the blade and likes lighter blades because I am way weaker than average. I previously have tried the TB ALC but I didn't like the sharp feel and the narrow handle, and I'm wondering if the viscaria will feel similar and if it can be too heavy for me(because many people has said that lighter viscarias perform and feel worse). Primorac carbon seems like a better option but I don't know if I will be able to control it that well and I don't think it will be able to generate much spin. Schlager light seems to still be super fast like PC but has more control and is lighter, which may seem good for me but I'm not sure what's going on with this blade because there isn't much discussion about it.

Theoretically, aren't tacky chinese rubbers good for the PC? The PC is very bouncy and has good power which is mainly why people boost their Chinese rubbers, or am I just having a misconception? Are softer rubbers better for the PC(and schlager light)?

Thanks for reading my long reply. I guess researching on tt equipment doesn't help so much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
When you say sharp, are you saying a sharp impact feel or sharp corner/edges when gripping? The Viscaria has the exact same compositin as the TB ALC. Handles and blade shape is slightly different, but not enough to change the playing characteristics to a large degree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I'm saying the feel of the impact feels sharp when hitting the ball. Then I don't think I will like the feel of the viscaria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi hchae,

It will be hard to recommend a new blade without knowing what you are using now, what you like about it and what parts of it you would like your next blade to change. For some more objective recommendations, please advise on your preferences from the below characteristics (as well as how your current blade fits in your opinion):

Stiffness
Low impact hardness
High impact solidity/density
Weight (you already said light)
Low impact speed (pushing, blocking, flicking)
High impact speed (smashing, full effort loops/drives)
Springy/linear/dampening/repulsive feel
Feedback (sharp, dull, crisp, marshmallowy etc?)

Some combinations are conflicting, ie you cannot have low vibration and crisp, generally hard to get fast low impact speed and a very soft feel, and you can't have high hardness and density with low weight etc. If you want to be very concise, please also indicate your priority along with the desired characteristics.

Cheers,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
So far, I think you are looking for:

Low weight, high speed, soft touch, low vibrations. From your list, the Schlager light and Primorac carbon would fit. But beware, both are extremely fast blades with a very springy non-linear feel and low feedback. Might be hard to control. There are better options (Ie the innerforce recomended by DukeGaGa).

The more your specify, the better the recommendations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I'm generally looking for low weight, low (preferably dull) vibrations, soft touch and fairly bouncy. I wouldn't like a small handle and would rather prefer a thicker one. I would have stiff and soft rather than flexible and hard.

I heard that the Innerforce and Layer ALC are both similar to all-wood rackets in terms of feel, but I'm wondering if it would have too much vibration, too sharp of a vibration, or it would be too flexible for my liking. My blade has a bit of vibration and it feels dull and nice. I don't like other blades because they have too much vibration or they feel too sharp and, in a way, dry(I'm not sure how I should explain the feeling in words).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I'm generally looking for low weight, low (preferably dull) vibrations, soft touch and fairly bouncy. I wouldn't like a small handle and would rather prefer a thicker one. I would have stiff and soft rather than flexible and hard.

I heard that the Innerforce and Layer ALC are both similar to all-wood rackets in terms of feel, but I'm wondering if it would have too much vibration, too sharp of a vibration, or it would be too flexible for my liking. My blade has a bit of vibration and it feels dull and nice. I don't like other blades because they have too much vibration or they feel too sharp and, in a way, dry(I'm not sure how I should explain the feeling in words).

Sounds to me you might want to give XIOM Ice Cream AZX/AZXi a go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
ALC has vibration dampening charatceristics, but the innforce alc may be too thin to provide a stiff non-vibrating feel.

Look into the innerforce ZLC. ZLC has even more extreme vibration dampening characteristics. Should have soft touch, stiff, medium-low weight, high bounce, and dead/dull feel.

If you can access Nexy blades, their Hannibal may be a good option as well. Thick layer of soft hinoki outer plies, ALC and a thick core. Should feel even softer than the Butterflies, but at the same time stiffer. Hinoki surface blades I've tried all tend to have "juicy" feel to them, so should avoid your dry description.

Handles can be sanded down to fit you perfectly. I do that to all my blades to a cerain degree.