Strong Mind in the Match

This user has no status.
Just try to find something that concentrates you when under pressure. I usually walk from the barrier to the table nodding my head. Ok, it looks a bit weird but I find it works.
You could maybe bounce the ball in a certain sequence or something like that on big points.
Another way I know people concentrate is to think very hard at a random object, like a strawberry. This makes you forget the last point and move on.
Finally, you need to completely ignore everything else in the hall, e.g. other matches, or spectators.
I’d say that my mindset can be the best part of my game when I truly focus/don’t want to lose.
Just find something that works for you, and stick with it, use it regularly so you can rely on it under pressure.

Reactions: phorkyas and chikuy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I just focus on the next point. Go back to what I learned and make sure I do all the basic things. Keep it simple and not worry about the score.

Reactions: chikuy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
It's something i've been working on lately so some ideas

For me it's really helpful when i take the time to be really really clear on what i'm about to do, what is the schema i want to do. Also i try to play with only a few different schema, like that it simplifies the game. When i do that i don't have to wonder a lot so i'm less impacted by my mental state (i do what i'm suppose to do). Still a work in progress for me :)

But you seems to speak about laking motivation and fighting spirit in practice match ? Someone advice me to give myself an objective to make it harder and more challenging. Like 'i should not lose any set', 'they must score less than 8 points on each set', 'I must win with only this schema'. Like that it gets to the difficulty where you need to go 100%

Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Does showing emotion in a match cause a player to lose focus? If you get a big point, should you get excited, or if you get frustrated after along a point, let out a sigh, or argggg! In some cases. Or is it best to just stay steady and show no emotion?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I always keep poker face when playing. This helps me stay calm and concentrated without giving mental advantage to the opponent when I lose a point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Does showing emotion in a match cause a player to lose focus? If you get a big point, should you get excited, or if you get frustrated after along a point, let out a sigh, or argggg! In some cases. Or is it best to just stay steady and show no emotion?

Here it depends a lot about what make you play well. From what i've read/try, the idea is that everybody have an optimal 'arousal level', that is how much you need to be excited or calm to play optimally. Personally i like to show emotion when i do a big point because it makes me more motivated and focus, plus it releases the tension.

When i do a mistake i try to not dwell on it but i might show it, often despite myself. But if it is on a serve i don't like i will make an effort to not show it was a problem for me in order to not hint that i don't like this kind of serve :)