New Sanwei Target 90 Red Provincial & Target Pro Blue National

New rubbers from Sanwei

Pro Blue National

The Target National Pro Blue is the newest addition to the offensive rubbers of Sanwei. They released the Provincial version called the Red 90 and the National Pro Blue Version. The Pro Blue has the same topsheet as the original Target National rubber but they incorporated a newer and more reactive sponge. The sponge is a hard blue sponge with semi porous characteristics. It comes with 3 hardness variants at 39, 39.5 and 40 degrees. The one I got was a black 40 degrees. When I first checked the rubber and pinched the rubber with my fingers, it seems to be softer overall compared to the original Target National rubber with the same 40 degree hardness. The weight of the new Pro Blue version seem to be lighter too if compared to the National Target. Imagine the original Pro Blue uncut has a bigger volume compared to the Target National but it has a lighter weight compared to the Pro Blue. The Target National has a weight of 70-72 grams uncut while the Pro Blue has about 68 grams uncut weight.
The Pro Blue has the same amount of spin compared to the Target National Blue Sponge but they differ in the sponge reaction and speed. I found out that the Pro Blue works best if it is boosted. I have tried the rubber with and without booster. Initially, I did not like the Pro Blue because the throw is very low. It produced a very low arc when looping. Sometimes, the ball hits the net and I had some adjustments in order to use the rubber effectively. I could say it is faster than Hurricane 3 without boosting with the spin almost at the Hurricane 3 level. The Pro Blue was good unboosted but the very low arc kinda made me adjust a few times. I boosted the Pro Blue hoping that the very low throw will be improved. I coated the sponge with 3 layers of Falco Long booster oil. I was glad I boosted the Pro Blue because it felt really different than the unboosted one. I felt that the throw or arc increased by a few times compared to the unboosted version. This is when I used it on several blades that I can say the Pro Blue is best used with boosters. The sponge softened a bit which now felt like it was 39 degrees. It is still significantly softer than the original Target National and this is probably with the sponge characteristics in absorbing and reacting to boosters.
If boosted, the Pro Blue has a medium throw and the ball digs deeper into the sponge compared to the boosted Target National rubber. Al in all, I can say that the Target Pro Blue has better boosting effects and also is easier to handle than the National BS. The Pro Blue at this rate is easier to loop and spin with wherein the Target National seems to require a bit more skill to bring out the best in the rubber. I can say it is easier to use than the Hurricane 3 and is a much better smashing Chinese rubber. Even if the Hurricane 3 is will be boosted, there are still times the ball hits the net when you hit it flat. With the Pro Blue, the smashes are a bit easier. This is rubber is not yet released and I do not know the retail or market price. I would also suggest using the Pro Blue with Medium or Stiff blades.

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Pro Red 90

This is another variant of the Target rubber from Sanwei. I got one in red at max thickness. It also has the same hardness as the Pro Blue which is but it felt lighter at about 67 grams. Like the Target National that I had before, the red topsheet is very tacky. This is not your tacky rubber where after cleaning it initially with water the tackiness goes away especially with red rubbers. The Pro 90 in red color is a tacky rubber even after using it for 2 sessions. I checked the rubber initially and the sponge is different from the Pro Blue or the original Target National rubber. Sanwei told me that the sponge is a traditional Chinese sponge. This is what is strange with the Pro 90 Red, unboosted it is very good and easy to use. The Pro 90 is very spinny as it has the same topsheet as the Target National. The sponge of the Pro 90 has a good rebound effect unboosted. I was driving, smashing and looping with the Pro 90 and it is the easiest Chinese rubber I can spin with and at the same time has the amount of spin and arc that I am looking for a forehand rubber. It has a medium to medium high arc when looping underspin. Despite being tacky, it was easy to smash with. It is the easiest Target variant to smash with if compared to the Target National and Pro Blue. The Pro 90, I believe, is the easiest rubber to use among the 3 and players who are looking for an alternative to Hurricane 3, can easily adjust with the Pro 90 easily. It is also a good transition from a euro rubber to a Chinese rubber. The rubber does it all. It serves really good spinny serves and produces tons of spin when looping. I boosted the Pro 90 and it is even better than before. Sanwei designed this as a cheaper variant of the Target rubbers. I do not have the retail or market price of the rubber yet since this has not been released into the market as of this time I am writing this review. This rubber is good with different blade stiffness and it is not choosy. This is best as a forehand rubber.

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Yogi, I assume the Pro Blue National is the more expensive of the two . is there an aspect where it is better than the Pro Red?

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Btw. do I understand it correctly that all 5 or 7 or how many variants of Target rubber (family) exist are coming with ITTF approval logo "62-001" printed on them so - if I understand the rules for ITTF "certification" - the top-sheet must be exactly the same and they differ only in the sponge? Isn't that in direct contradiction with reviews saying that each variant has already different tackiness and also other properties which aren't caused only by the sponge but also by top sheet?

(or is this "cheating" so common in TT rubber business that actually no one cares?)

I am not able to speak about other rubbers. The topsheets are the same but i do not know if they applied to make the topsheet tackier.

QUOTE=JST;272547]Btw. do I understand it correctly that all 5 or 7 or how many variants of Target rubber (family) exist are coming with ITTF approval logo "62-001" printed on them so - if I understand the rules for ITTF "certification" - the top-sheet must be exactly the same and they differ only in the sponge? Isn't that in direct contradiction with reviews saying that each variant has already different tackiness and also other properties which aren't caused only by the sponge but also by top sheet?

(or is this "cheating" so common in TT rubber business that actually no one cares?)[/QUOTE]

If both are boosted, the Pro Blue has a higher potential for speed and spin because of the sponge.

QUOTE=thom;272539]Yogi, I assume the Pro Blue National is the more expensive of the two . is there an aspect where it is better than the Pro Red?[/QUOTE]

This user has no status.
Both rubbers are still not released. The target pro blue is only available in black. Pro 90 is both red and black.
Seems to be out in some Aliexpress stores like Chinese Ping Pong. Picked up a sheet at H40 hardness to try out. Insane level of tack when it's fresh out of the pack - even more than the Target National I think. I kept the ball up for several minutes while waving the bat around and walking(!).

Topsheet appears to be as fragile to marks as the Target National though (which would likely be the case since I believe they're supposed to have the same topsheet?). I played for a couple of hours outdoors and it looked to be covered with ball marks after that - so not one I'll recommend for outdoor play.