what is the FASTEST set you can recommend

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think Pros understand the the game if won in the small game. I think it is common belief at a lower level that the game is won by playing hard and always win the point by hitting by the opponent. Know that Jon Persson went from carbon blade, TB ALC i think, to a all wood blade becaue he thought he lacked controll in the small game. Was at a camp where he was a coach. Pretty funny that he almost had the slowest blade there haha.

Edit: pros also proably can generate good power and spin with slower stuff aswell due to good technique.

Exactly. :)

Reactions: Suga D
says Hi TT Comunity!
Lula always with a excelent re post! thanks LULA i will keep that in mind and will try later a smaller blade to see the difference in control because im in the same position that was Persson, im a little lacked of control

I think Pros understand the the game if won in the small game. I think it is common belief at a lower level that the game is won by playing hard and always win the point by hitting by the opponent. Know that Jon Persson went from carbon blade, TB ALC i think, to a all wood blade becaue he thought he lacked controll in the small game. Was at a camp where he was a coach. Pretty funny that he almost had the slowest blade there haha.

Edit: pros also proably can generate good power and spin with slower stuff aswell due to good technique.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lula always with a excelent re post! thanks LULA i will keep that in mind and will try later a smaller blade to see the difference in control because im in the same position that was Persson, im a little lacked of control

So, why are you looking for setups that are fast? Is there a reason?

What is your level? Is the fast setup for you?

If your level is lower than Elite Amateur or Semi-Pro, you probably should be using something in the mid-range like Off- all wood with rubbers that give you good control.

A setup like that allows you to put more power into your shots and helps your strokes and technique improve. A faster setup will mess up your strokes and make you swing with less power to try and get the ball on the table. Unless your technique is really pretty high level, faster setup will compromise your technique.

Last edited:
says Hi TT Comunity!
Because i like to try as much as many things that i could afford, later on to have a better perspective of equipments,
i have really fun playing TT but i also have fun when i open up a box and try any new weapons

my skill level is not high! but im moving fast to the next levels

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Because i like to try as much as many things that i could afford, later on to have a better perspective of equipments,
i have really fun playing TT but i also have fun when i open up a box and try any new weapons

my skill level is not high! but im moving fast to the next levels

Read my edited response.

Get yourself a Butterfly Korbel with rubbers you can control.

says Hi TT Comunity!
Thanks a lot UpSideDownCarl! i really appreciate your experience shared to all of us!

If your level is lower than Elite Amateur or Semi-Pro, you probably should be using something in the mid-range like Off- all wood with rubbers that give you good control.

A setup like that allows you to put more power into your shots and helps your strokes and technique improve. A faster setup will mess up your strokes and make you swing with less power to try and get the ball on the table. Unless your technique is really pretty high level, faster setup will compromise your technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

This is interesting. A while ago our club had a coaching lesson by former German women's National Team member and women Bundesliga player Tanja Krämer and after the lesson we sat together and she basically said the same. With a too fast blade she would be giving away far too many points at serve receive and the short game.
I think I've been writing of this a while ago in a different thread.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.

What does he use?

This user has no status.
This is interesting. A while ago our club had a coaching lesson by former German women's National Team member and women Bundesliga player Tanja Krämer and after the lesson we sat together and she basically said the same. With a too fast blade she would be giving away far too many points at serve receive and the short game.
I think I've been writing of this a while ago in a different thread.

Does she use a Grubba?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

I played his blade (Donic Persson Power Play wood) for a year and developed much better touch.

Every time I gear down 1-2 speed on the blade and play 3+ months, my touch and point construction improves.. so that when I go back to main bat, I play better overall.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Every time I gear down 1-2 speed on the blade and play 3+ months, my touch and point construction improves.. so that when I go back to main bat, I play better overall.
Very interesting. Do you do that on a regular basis? Makes sense it would force you be more deliberate with point construction. But wouldn't using a slower blade for a while compromise your touch with the faster blade?

I played his blade (Donic Persson Power Play wood) for a year and developed much better touch.

It's funny, for me it's the other way around. Playing with a much faster setup and training with it for one to two sessions gives me more control for my main setup.
;)
Other than that, I understand the threadopener and I really don't know any reason why he shouldn't try the fastest setup he can get for money.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

pros get away with using super slow blades because of the amount of booster they use.
boll alc/viscaria really excels in control, that's why 99% of the chinese team is using it.

This user has no status.
Very few pros use super slow blades other than defenders. Even modern defenders can generate plenty of power with slow blades. I'd love to see some top pro switch to an off- all wood and see the results. I think even some pros are using equipment that's too fast for them unnecessarily, especially on male side. They generate enough power by themselves. Franziska is an example. I'd love to see him use a Korbel to compare his results.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Does she use a Grubba?

Hey, good one.
[Emoji106][Emoji2]
How'd you know?
This here used to be her blade for a very long time. And when I say HER blade i really mean HER very own personal blade that she'd been using from teenager days.
:)

20190418_113414.jpg
But afaik she changed to a blade from her sponsor a while ago. IIRC it was a Rossi. Either Fire or Emotion or smth. At that coaching session she carried an Aruna blade, but she said that it was too fast for her likes and that she's gonna Go back to one of her old ones.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Gauzy uses an all-wood blade.

Very few pros use super slow blades other than defenders. Even modern defenders can generate plenty of power with slow blades. I'd love to see some top pro switch to an off- all wood and see the results. I think even some pros are using equipment that's too fast for them unnecessarily, especially on male side. They generate enough power by themselves. Franziska is an example. I'd love to see him use a Korbel to compare his results.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

pros have been using off- allwood forever.
waldner, gatien, apelgren, persson, samsonov, saive, rosskopf..... they all used off- allwood in the 80s and 90s.

today pros would be giving too much advantage with a slow all wood.
that's why most of them use composite.

even ma long started playing with a nittaku acoustic.
his blade today is basically a nittaku acoustic with a alc layer next to the core

franziska used for a long time a mazunov, which is a slightly fatter korbel.

as for defenders....panagiotis uses a korbel.

Last edited: