says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Amy Wang 2 games up on FTW.

Game 5, 11:13. 3 games in a row for FTW.

Tough luck for Amy. Close shave for FTW.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Doo Hoi Kem to Hayata: Doo > Yoo!

aV8jDyB.jpg

y3VF5ED.jpg

H6pNvJZ.jpg

qpJaGUl.jpg

9jTNtwQ.jpg

jiV94Bm.jpg

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thought I will post my predictions for the tournament here:

R3:

FZD def. Alamian
LJK def. Gionis
Ovtcharov def. Steger
Niwa def. Karlsson

Calderano def. Gnanasekaran
Ma Long def. Samsonov
Mizutani def. JYS
LGY def. Gerassimenko

Harimoto def. Freitas
WCT def. Habesohn
Jang Woojin def. Groth
Boll def. Morizono

LSS def. Franziska
CCY def. Gardos
Jorgic def. Wang Yang
Xu Xin def. Gauzy

R4:

FZD def. LJK
Ovtcharov def. Niwa
Ma Long def. Calderano
LGY def. Mizutani

Harimoto def. WCT
Boll def. Jang Woojin
LSS def. CCY
Xu Xin def. Jorgic

QF:

FZD def. Ovtcharov
Ma Long def. LGY
Boll def. Harimoto
Xu Xin def. LSS

SF:

FZD def. Ma Long
Xu Xin def. Boll

Final:

FZD def. Xu Xin

As expected, guessing this kind of bracket is nearly impossible.

Ma Long and FZD are the favorites. If they meet in the semi the clash between them is 50-50 for me. I have more confidence in Ma Long beating LGY than in FZD beating LJK, but Ma Long is more vulnerable than FZD against Xu Xin.
Xu Xin seems like the more significant obstacle to me, so if I had to choose an outright tournament winner I would give the very slight edge to FZD.

In the first section there is no real challenge for the Chinese. FZD - LJK blockbuster is coming.

There are many sections of the draw I'm hoping to be wrong about. One of them is Ovtcharov's - I will never be confident in Dima getting very far in the world champs, but his draw is rather comfortable. Both Karlsson and Niwa will have a good chance, and I would love to see Karlsson reaching the QF here, but a tricky R2, then Niwa and potentially Ovtcharov are a tall order.

Calderano can be happy with his section for the first three rounds, but I think there will be no stopping Ma Long going through. Tough luck for Samsonov there.

Really not sure about the potential clash between Mizutani and JYS as both are out of form. I will be rooting for JYS but I feel like Mizutani will be playing with less pressure on his shoulders. LGY is a favorite against either in the next round.

The Harimoto section could be interesting, and might end up producing the weakest quarter finalist in the draw. Freitas should be a tougher test for Harimoto than WCT.

I'm a little worried about Boll's R1 against Gacina, but should he come thorough that he is well on his way to a very interesting match in R4, in my opinion against Jang Woojin. A QF of Boll against Harimoto would be a HUGE match.

A potential R3 between LSS and Franziska in section 7 could be on of the best matches of the tournament (if not the best). Tough to pick a winner here: Franziska has improved and is very much in form, while LSS is an extremely strong match player, especially on the big stage. My bet is that Franziska comes up short this time. The winner of this should then go on to win R4 and reach the QF.

A clear path for Xu Xin in section 8. He is the favorite to reach the final, and this is the best chance to win the tournament he will ever have.

Let this EPIC tournament begin!

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Kristian Karlsson in troubles as well against Gavin Rumgay.