This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
They are calling many serves... I already saw it against Boll (!) and Cedric Nuytinck! Destroys the game... Timo's throws the ball high enough imo, and cedric too... Boll almost lost to Gacina because of that. I think ITTF should maybe consider for all serves to be legal again

Agreed, I don't know if it's one umpire in particular or several of them. He was calling all of Truls' punch serves so he couldn't do that anymore and he was calling lots of other players serves. Just let them play.. it ruins the game.

They need to revise the service rule instead of introducing multi coloured rubbers.. I just don't get it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Calderano vs Yoshimura also happened that.

Yoshimura was called two times. And calderano one time.

They are calling many serves... I already saw it against Boll (!) and Cedric Nuytinck! Destroys the game... Timo's throws the ball high enough imo, and cedric too... Boll almost lost to Gacina because of that. I think ITTF should maybe consider for all serves to be legal again

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

To think about it, some players basically hide serves anyway ...

Edit: something needs to be done here, but I'm not sure if allowing to hide the serves is the best solution.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Apparently might happen two good duels between Ma Long against Calderano and Liang Jingkun agasint Fan Zhedong.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The problem is when you don't call them 99% of the time then suddenly the serves are illegal, the ones you have done all year. The serves were probably illegal but it's the lack of consistency that's the problem. They need to enforce it more strictly all the season around, then the players actions would change to something legal.

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Also from Harimoto, Kizukuri, and the swedish players today....unfortunately they don't call hidden serves from the body from players like Kallberg.

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yup... and go back to over advantage for servers. Nope, we need to learn how to serve clearly legal and to pay umpires a professional wage instead of peanuts and popcorn.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
DO 4-2 Deni Kozul.

So many players tested in the first 2 rounds. Benefit of the WR reform?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Agreed, I don't know if it's one umpire in particular or several of them. He was calling all of Truls' punch serves so he couldn't do that anymore and he was calling lots of other players serves. Just let them play.. it ruins the game.

They need to revise the service rule instead of introducing multi coloured rubbers.. I just don't get it.
What dont you get about a requirement for the player to serve legally in a manner that the umpire can clearly tell serve was legal?

Just about all of us formers wanted umpires to call borderline serves as faults... now we got umpires doing that and now we suddenly do not like it? Now it is killing the game?

How about a pro not serving illegal or borderline?

That isnt too difficult. They had over a decade to adjust.

Problem is umpires never had courage or desire to call serves by the rules... and players adjusted by serving illegally until it was too obvious.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The problem is when you don't call them 99% of the time then suddenly the serves are illegal, the ones you have done all year. The serves were probably illegal but it's the lack of consistency that's the problem. They need to enforce it more strictly all the season around, then the players actions would change to something legal.
Yup. True.

Jan 2018
Yeah I remember the discussion ... : ) I could be biased, how do you see him against Niwa now ... ?

Looking at the H2H, Dyjas is up with 2W0L, both in 2016, 3-1 in team in Rio, 4-2 in Qatar Open. Theoretically speaking, Dyjas has the psychological advantage here. Niwa hasn't been in great form since 2018, but he looks decent here in Budapest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
What dont you get about a requirement for the player to serve legally in a manner that the umpire can clearly tell serve was legal?

Just about all of us formers wanted umpires to call borderline serves as faults... now we got umpires doing that and now we suddenly do not like it? Now it is killing the game?

How about a pro not serving illegal or borderline?

That isnt too difficult. They had over a decade to adjust.

Problem is umpires never had courage or desire to call serves by the rules... and players adjusted by serving illegally until it was too obvious.

What I think might be missing here is the proper interpretation of the rules. There need to be training sessions for players and umpires to work out a general approach. Rules by themselves do not work at least not now ...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The problem is not with the referees per se. It is just that it is VERY unclear for everyone. If you can serve like you want throughout the whole year, and then at the WTTC your serves get called (not even correct IMO), then it ruins the game
Inconsistent enforcement of an easy to understand rule is not good.

The pros will attempt to get away with what they dare until they get called. They take their risks... they do the crime, they pay the time. Well. Sometimes. As long as the umpire calls em. Is this right? Do pros need to cheat to get an advantage to win?

Do you see Samsonov griping about the serve rules or do you see an umpire fault him?

Samsonov was consistent top ten for a decade before the rule change and same consistent top 10 a decade after rule change.

He adjusted and thrived... and he so clearly was serving legally an umpire would need to get hung and eyes examined if called a fault on serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Looking at the H2H, Dyjas is up with 2W0L, both in 2016, 3-1 in team in Rio, 4-2 in Qatar Open. Theoretically speaking, Dyjas has the psychological advantage here. Niwa hasn't been in great form since 2018, but he looks decent here in Budapest.

Yeah agree Koki seems to be decent lately and Dyjas lost Polish Championships like a moth ago (didn't win). Koki seems to be the favorite for me and this is not just courtesy ...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What I think might be missing here is the proper interpretation of the rules. There need to be training sessions for players and umpires to work out a general approach. Rules by themselves do not work at least not now ...
The rules changed a decade plus ago and were very clear. Pro Players know what a legal serve is.

Rules were not the problem... one of the few rules changes ittf got right.

Problem is commitment to enforcement.

Collectively, umpires have been very weak willed to enforce... that is also a sign of weak leadership... that means the referee was not emphasizing and supervising... also means ittf was just as bad.

If I am in charge of an event as a referee, I would make damned sure my umpires had the ability and will to enforce... I would supervise and remove umpires not doing their job...

But let's get real... what kind of pay does an umpire make to be responsible for a professional job? What would referee do when too many umpires fail to properly call faults? Fire them and delay schedules? Overwork existing ones? Not pay them too?

Root cause of serve problems is not the rule.