This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Lost at love ( ZJK), lost in the biggest finals (DN) and being slowly pushed by emerging new comers towards the end of her career, LSW showed what grit, determination , hard work and self belief can accomplish. What a great role model for anyone struggling with different things in life and come up on top. Will be cheering for you, LSW, at Olympics 2020 in person.

Being Liu shiwen is really Difficult .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Tomorrow we probably will see this pose again ... ML.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I would say Ma Long wouldn't have gotten nowhere near the final if he had played with short pips on his forehand

It's obvious that people who have played with inverted rubber for their whole life wouldn't be as good if they suddenly switched to a short pimple. Any sudden slightest change in equipment would change their success in winning matches anyway.

The point is that if you get 2 players and train them for 20 years, 1 person would train with short pips and the other one with inverted rubbers on both sides. With the current plastic ball that they introduced, it makes it easier for short pips players to beat other players of higher ranking even than them, and it's just because they play with inverted rubbers which the short pips can easily deflect.

If you then get 100 of people whom half played for 20 years with short pips and the other half with inverted rubbers. I can guarantee that the majority of that 100 players would be winners using the short pips. Because they are OP.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Ok, I'll take the bait. Why?
What do you mean by bait? I just think that level of play in the men's final will be quite imbalanced and not necessarily worth watching while i think that the level of both pairs in the women's doubles final will be quite similar which will result in a higher quality match in my opinion. I'm not sure why you seem to think that i'm trying to troll.

Reactions: PatriciaPinheiro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Anything can happen in sports as we've seen time and time again. Just because the odds are stacked against Falck doesn't mean the result is set. On paper, yes, he will be destroyed, and maybe he will be that as well in the actual match. But you have to remember that he has absolutely no pressure, while Ma Long has the greatest pressure fathomable on his shoulders. I still think Ma Long will go god mode and not give Falck more than one set but lets see.

What do you mean by bait? I just think that level of play in the men's final will be quite imbalanced and not necessarily worth watching while i think that the level of both pairs in the women's doubles final will be quite similar which will result in a higher quality match in my opinion. I'm not sure why you seem to think that i'm trying to troll.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
For me due to different playing style between women and men, no matter how one-sided the mens final is, it's still a lot more interesting for me to watch than womens match. I don't find quick hitting back and forth that womens matches tend to be that interesting. Obviously they can get far away from the table as well and do some wide forehand looping. But the matches are still never nowhere near as interesting to watch as the mens matches in terms of the strength and power involved.

This user has no status.
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's obvious that people who have played with inverted rubber for their whole life wouldn't be as good if they suddenly switched to a short pimple. Any sudden slightest change in equipment would change their success in winning matches anyway.

The point is that if you get 2 players and train them for 20 years, 1 person would train with short pips and the other one with inverted rubbers on both sides. With the current plastic ball that they introduced, it makes it easier for short pips players to beat other players of higher ranking even than them, and it's just because they play with inverted rubbers which the short pips can easily deflect.

If you then get 100 of people whom half played for 20 years with short pips and the other half with inverted rubbers. I can guarantee that the majority of that 100 players would be winners using the short pips. Because they are OP.

This is weird analysis to be honest. Even in tennis people are playing with extra spin and you really believe table tennis is where less spin will dominate over more?

So why is Falck the only one? At the Lower levels where are the people who are emulating him? Why isn't this working in the women's side?

Short pips are not easy to use, the footwork demands are in some ways higher than using inverted because you can't take the ball late effectively if it has topspin. The key thing is that Falck has an excellent smash/forehand hit and prefers it to looping. You won't find many players who naturally do this but some become really good at smashing balls and this becomes their preferred mode of play and gives the coach a dilemma whether to continue with inverted or to let the player do what he does best. You can see he loops on the backhand, so it is just a result of his choosing equipment to suit his style. You may think Falck signals some shift towards forehand smashing but I suspect most people will try it, acknowledge it is more work than reasonable and give up. Even with celluloid, shot pips had a few advocates but was harder to use - same with plastic. China may develop a player just to be ahead of the curve but I also suspect that they know it is easier to just learn to loop with footwork and forehand. If you run your experiment, I suspect the amount of variation you can generate with inverted will leave it ahead most of the time except for the players with really good and powerful smashes. And that is not most players.

The real problem is that most players have NOT trained against short pips in a while. Close that gap and things become uninteresting again.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
https://weibointl.api.weibo.cn/share/68242575.html?weibo_id=4366121123770208

https://weibointl.api.weibo.cn/share/68243558.html?weibo_id=4366123883591966

3314e4095e6b0ea7f9b621f3ad86ba69.jpg

Since no short pimple player here in CNT, Lou Guoliang decides to let himself practice with Ma Long.

Videos and photo from Li Wujun, Sina Weibo.

In the US, David Zhuang was in the US Champs semis and hadn't lost a match to a US player in a long time. Lily Yip, who is a short pips hitter, coached her current son-in-law, Cory Eider, to beat him.

I thought Korea would find someone to train An or Jang and I am sure they did.