This user has no status.
Fair enough. But his point was that he felt they did it half heatedly and I think it's a little ridiculous to expect a lot more of them outside of just doing it which they do.

I don't like those half hearted high five barely touch things they do either. Seems disrespectful like you don't want to shake their hands properly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have never played a sport where it isn't expected. Including basketball. But maybe it's different in Europe. Certainly every single individual sport it's expected. Can you name one that isn't?

See my last point about that they do it.

This topic got started in that the person didn't like the celebrating after a win. The going to celebrating with the coach 1st. The half hearted handshake. He didn't like how they handshake which I think is silly. Just doing the act is good enough in my book.

That was the topic. I would agree with just about anyone that you should give the handshake. That's not really what is at topic here the way i see it.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Guys, what is this you're discussing? Is anyone watching the match? I'm starting to believe the Wang Hao theory. I think in the final An Jaehyun will remove his mask and reveal that he was Wang Hao all this time, returning to test Ma Long in one last WTTC.

Haha ...and Ma long removes his mask and reveals he's zhang jike

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
See my last point about that they do it.

This topic got started in that the person didn't like the celebrating after a win. The going to celebrating with the coach 1st. The half hearted handshake.

That was the topic. I would agree with just about anyone that you should give the handshake. That's not really what is at topic here the way i see it.

We are on the same page. The handshake is treated in just about every sport I know the way it is treated in TT.

The other thing is that many cultures don't shake hands when greeting unless they have absorbed Anglo Saxon culture. This also gets missed in these things.

No need to enforce the exchange of sweaty hands per se. And no need to enforce anything more than routine civility amongst competitors. The ones who are friends like Gauzy and Falck can exchange words or do something different. There is a brotherhood of sorts on tour.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Haha ...and Ma long remove his mask and reveal he's zhang jike
and then Wang Hao removes his mask yet again and reveals HE is Ma Long. And we have the Ma Long - Zhang Jike WTTC final everyone's been dreaming of.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Ultimate dark Hor(se) indeed.

An Jaehyun has taken out WCT, Moregard, Habesohn

Harimoto next?

Ultimate dark Hor(se) of the tournament.

An Jaehyun, 19. Took out WCT and Moregard. Habesohn next?

Not really. You don't need a counter game plan for that. If you've followed the scene long enough, you'd notice that South Korean players are among the streakiest, yet have produced many if not the most powerful upsets in memory. Many of them share one common trait - high risk, high reward all-out step-around. Notable players from other countries are Gatien at WTTC 1993, Schlager at WTTC 2003 and Aruna at World Cup 2014 and Rio Olympics. Fang Bo at WTTC 2015 is another. The catch here is the high demand on form and stamina. That's why you see these players deviate a lot. But when that condition is met, this tactical style is the most disruptive. Coupled with the intense pressure, it's very hard to deal with and recover from.

Now the problem is you can never be certain when it'll be coming ahead of time. In the same manner, the player who chooses to play like this will also find it hard to get started. Ito is the latest example.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Anglo Saxon culture? I do not believe that is the origination of this custom. I don't disagree that TT is no worse than other sports, it's mainly the younger kids that do it half heartedly. Older players tend not to.

I'm probably making a whole deal out of nothing here as I think we're all pro handshakes but I don't buy that half hearted handshakes come just from young players. It's just normal reaction of disappointment when you're competing 1v1.

But go to this video of Ma Long Vs Vlad from just the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0HAlbsEZ8&t=339s

9:40 is when the match is over. IMO Vlad's body language and expression on his face couldn't be more 1/2 hearted and I think he's disappointed.

So i think most, if not all players do this. And I think how he handled it was perfectly normal & fine. I wouldn't expect anything more out of him than what he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
The men's Double has started . The 2nd match will be more interesting to watch with countries that didnt have any medal in WTTC in their history . It will be nice if any of them play in final and have at least silver .
I'll be cheering for Ionescu and Robles precisely for this reason. Portugal has Freitas, when will Spain ever have another shot at gold?

Jan 2018
I'll be cheering for Ionescu and Robles precisely for this reason. Portugal has Freitas, when will Spain ever have another shot at gold?

It'd be amazing to have a table tennis version of Marin.

Reactions: Atas Newton
Jan 2018
Reactions: Atas Newton
The other thing is that many cultures don't shake hands when greeting unless they have absorbed Anglo Saxon culture.

Handshaking has nothing to do with the anglo-saxon culture.
In fact during the midle of the medieval centuries the anglo-saxon culture used arm-grabing rather than handshaking.
Handshaking is much older than the anglo-saxon culture, and it it is wellknown by the more ancient cultures.

Dexiosis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Handshaking has nothing to do with the anglo-saxon culture.
In fact during the midle of the medieval centuries the anglo-saxon culture used arm-grabing rather than handshaking.
Handshaking is much older than the anglo-saxon culture, and it it is wellknown by the more ancient cultures.

Dexiosis

My point is that there are many cultures where they don't shake hands, no matter whether I should have added Slavic or other cultures to my description. Just keep that in mind. The Japanese usually just nod or bow to each other, for example.