This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
So why compare a team/club sport with an individual sport?

No emotion, I know what I want, there's a difference. Quantity doesn't equal quality.

Are you asking that yourself? You're the one who compared it to football / the World Cup, lol.

It's exactly why the wttc means something and not feels watered out. FIFA World cup is once every 4 years and I think that is absolutely great.

I mean, talk about contradicting oneself, jezuz dude. Lol.

I'm not saying we should change it. Each sport is unique to their own structure. But there's undoubtedly a harshness and perhaps even a certain unfairness about it.

Fan probably spent the last 2 years being better than LJK, and now he was outplayed on the day, when it happened to be WTTC. Of course, since players rise to the occasion (or not), one could make the argument this result would have happened at another time as well if the WTTC was at that time... but if big tournaments are more frequently (once every 2 years is damn rare, 2 tournaments gone by and you missed at best half your prime), top players would feel more at ease.

Reactions: Jonathan_
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Ma Long pretends to be in ruins. In reality, Ma Long has grown up a lot since those days. Winning and perspective does that.

he's obviously being facetious.

A lot of Ma Long's growing up has been to improve his BH to the point where its amongst the best in the world now. Ma Long didn't have the BH that he now has now he lost those WTTC semis to Wang Hao. He was a much more FH dominant player then and WH's RPB effectively controlled that as ML desperately wanted to get out of BH-BH exchanges with WH. Whenever he stepped around his BH, WH punished him.

I don't think so.

Can't re-call this being much of a theme.

I think it was mainly WH playing outstanding on the day and ML being nervy on big points.

And not quite the god he was '15-on yet.

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
she's actually quite a jester from what I've seen in the interviews. Well maybe not a jester but a girl with a good sense of humour, unfortunately a rare thing :)

She must be very professional, she's always very serious in match play, she pratically doesn't show emotions during match play, but nice to hear that she's a good-humored person :)

This user has no status.
FZD backhand error count was a lot higher than LJK and that was the story of the match as it was all about backhand exchanges.

I have noticed the Chinese players using very little reverse serve in recent times. I wonder why this is tactically. FZD brought some out later but first 3 sets I don't think he did a single one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Zeio, I do appreciate your translation of those videos, showing your great understanding of the CNT team, but "he retired rather early compared to WLQ and MLin" is wrong. Actually WH retired a little bit LATER than WLQ and MLin.
In Feb 2014, at the end of the Trials for WTTTC2014, CNT had a retire ceremony for many players including WLQ and MLin. Other CNT male players who retired at that time were ChenQi, Qiu Yike, Zhang Chao, and Li Ping (now representing Qatar).
But WH was not retired at that time. Actually he was a member of the CNT team for the WTTTC2014 (along with ZJK, ML, XX, and FZD). WH retired in Dec 2014 and became a coach for Bayi (PLA) team.

Ya, he retired rather early compared to WLQ and MLin. After WTTC 2013, he said he wanted to turn to coaching some time after the National Games. That's the common way to end a career for CNT. ZYN did that in 2009. WLQ, MLin, CQ and others as well and I guess WH thought he couldn't hold out until Rio and so might as well tag along and retire. Otherwise, he would've had to wait until 2017.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Don't want to be too off topic on this thread for WTTC2019, but the answer is NO.
WH retired because (1) With the new trio (ZJK, ML, and XX) showing maturity and dominance and FZD showing great talents and potential, he cannot make the CNT team for OG2016. (2) The CNT regulations says that one must have some experiences of coaching local teams (e.g., province team) before qualifying to become a CNT coach. WH retired and started coaching Bayi (PLA) teams, as a preparation for becoming a CNT coach.

Also, ML won the gold medal in Asian Games 2010 that allows him to become the "full grand slam" by beating WH in the final. He has also beaten WH in other important tournaments like China National Games. He also won two points for CNT in the OG2012 semi-final and WTTTC2014 final. Is it true that he lost to WH 3 consecutive times in WTTC? YES. Did he choke in 2013 WTTC when facing WH? YES. Does he need WH to retire to "flourish"? NO.

Disclaimer: I'm a ML fan but I try to be objective here.

Oh so Wang Hao was actually being thoughful. And another thing. Is it more or less true that Wang Hao was forcefully retired to leave room for Ma Long to flourish?

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
Mistake noticed:

In Wang Manyu vs Sun Yingsha, at 18-18 in the 3rd set WMY serves and during the point she hits the edge. Now the highlights cut out what happens next, it seems like there was a discussion about whether it edged or not (it did for sure) but next thing Sun Yingsha is serving...at 18-18. What happened here? Was this not supposed to be 19-18 to WMY? This mistake was then continued through the next points and it doesn't seem like anyone noticed. WMY luckily won that set in the end so the mistake didn't matter much but imagine if it was the other way? Does anyone have an explanation?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I see. Yeah that's true. But his retirement has nothing to do with ML. It's his personal choice. If I have to say, it perhaps has more to do with mentoring FZD, the next superstar from the Bayi team. He was coaching FZD in the Bayi(PLA) team before becoming a CNT coach, still coaching FZD.

Again, I really don't want to be too off topic. Let's expect the coming matches for this WTTC.

Wang Hao is several years younger than Ma Lin and WLQ. When he says retired early he meant early in terms of his age not chronologically.

This user has no status.
Mistake noticed:

In Wang Manyu vs Sun Yingsha, at 18-18 in the 3rd set WMY serves and during the point she hits the edge. Now the highlights cut out what happens next, it seems like there was a discussion about whether it edged or not (it did for sure) but next thing Sun Yingsha is serving...at 18-18. What happened here? Was this not supposed to be 19-18 to WMY? This mistake was then continued through the next points and it doesn't seem like anyone noticed. WMY luckily won that set in the end so the mistake didn't matter much but imagine if it was the other way? Does anyone have an explanation?

SYS accepted the edge and the point went to WMY they just didn't update the electronic scoreboard. If you watch it at https://tv.ittf.com/video/wang-manyu-sun-yingsha/1535744 (jump to 45:30) you can see that after SYS wins the next point they update the scoreboard straight to 19-19.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe. For me, the difference is that FZD is still young and has many more opportunities ahead. Not so for XX.

I think almost everyone thought FZD would get at least 1 gold or silver before the draws came out, especially after his form in the Marvelous 12 and ATTC. After the Singles draw came out, I was looking forward to an epic FZD-ML war.

No disrespect to LJK's accomplishment but FZD did not look like his normal self. Either the pressure of the big stage got to him or the EJs will say it was the Dignics or LJK's magic socks (BTW, where can I get a pair that aren't fake :eek:.)

I have said this so many times in many contexts but I will say it again:

The main 5 CNT players for any particular match are all equals. There is nothing wrong if one of them beats the other on any given day. You only get an idea of who is the better player by how their long term records stack up. But FZD has lost to LJK enough times to know that this was a possibility. And both players played very well, LJK just played phenomenally well. I loved his comments about making shots he didn't make in practice. If FZD did not look his normal self, it was because he met someone who was playing at a high level. The loss at the Marvelous 12 distorted the gap between them.

Tomorrow, I suspect something similar will be on with ML vs LGY. But it could be different, but the point is that for any given match, other than maybe XX who has a long and stable history of losing to ML and FZD, no one should be surprised by any result between the top 5 CNT players. LGY can sweep ML 4-0 tomorrow, and I would be surprised, but not to the point that it is impossible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have said this so many times in many contexts but I will say it again:

The main 5 CNT players for any particular match are all equals. There is nothing wrong if one of them beats the other on any given day. You only get an idea of who is the better player by how their long term records stack up. But FZD has lost to LJK enough times to know that this was a possibility. And both players played very well, LJK just played phenomenally well. I loved his comments about making shots he didn't make in practice. If FZD did not look his normal self, it was because he met someone who was playing at a high level. The loss at the Marvelous 12 distorted the gap between them.

Tomorrow, I suspect something similar will be on with ML vs LGY. But it could be different, but the point is that for any given match, other than maybe XX who has a long and stable history of losing to ML and FZD, no one should be surprised by any result between the top 5 CNT players. LGY can sweep ML 4-0 tomorrow, and I would be surprised, but not to the point that it is impossible.

Completely agree. But I am quite sure about one thing - If Falck reaches final, both LJK and LGY (if any one of them reaches final) will struggle against him in his current form.
It is best case scenario for a non CNT WTTC winner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Are you asking that yourself? You're the one who compared it to football / the World Cup, lol.

I mean, talk about contradicting oneself, jezuz dude. Lol.

I'm not saying we should change it. Each sport is unique to their own structure. But there's undoubtedly a harshness and perhaps even a certain unfairness about it.

Fan probably spent the last 2 years being better than LJK, and now he was outplayed on the day, when it happened to be WTTC. Of course, since players rise to the occasion (or not), one could make the argument this result would have happened at another time as well if the WTTC was at that time... but if big tournaments are more frequently (once every 2 years is damn rare, 2 tournaments gone by and you missed at best half your prime), top players would feel more at ease.
Indeed I did because of "occasion" not sport but then you or someone else mentioned CL as a good example of "world cup every year that works well". I'm still all about rarity and taking your chances. You're not supposed to get many chances of glory but to take it when it appears. If you have a bad day it's too bad. If you're good enough you'll be in the same spot again and hopefully create a better outcome. You don't reward mediocrity.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Imo China's best hope is that ML gets to the final since LJK and LGY aren't as stable. LJK has lost to Jang Woojin before and LGY has lost to Falck. Not to say that LGY and LJK are incapable of winning but the chances of them keeping their nerve in a WTTC final are lower than ML's.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
DN, WMY, ML, LJK feels quite certain. I have a hard time to decide whether Gauzy or Falck will take it. Both seems to be in their top form but they're so different styles which should be entertaining. If Gauzy plays like Lin played against Falck their lasrt meeting he will take it. Not giving Falck anything to work with on his fh is key since countering flat hits with shorts pips is much more difficult.

Any predictions for today’s matches?