says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
His losses to Niwa and LSS qualify as big upsets, perhaps even greater than the one to Baum.

WjmuI6q.png

FZyXiST.png

2CAKrot.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I'd bet on the usual suspects. Dark horse is Ovtcharov. Slowly but surely he's approaching his pre-injury form.

Our devastating boy Harimoto blew into the scene on an irresistible tidal wave of sport's transformation, informing all in attention the value of at-the-table/close-to-the-table play (with China's Lin erasing any remaining skeptics by winning the China team trial with similar positioning, though different techniques, and vaulting passed a number of other powerful prospects vying for China's most elevated echelon). Ovtcharov, a smart fellow, more than other veterans embraced this truth by devoting his most recent year and a half training structure to this new paradigm. He is improving and will improve more. He seems close to many of the strong non-Chinese Asians so, yes, he is one to watch.

Thanks.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
I expect DO to lose before he could reach the QF. He's so far down on the ranking now, that there's a very good chance he will meet China this time in the Rd of 16, provided he doesn't crash out before that.

DO's WTTC Journeys:
2017 - Rd of 16, losing to Koki Niwa 3-4
2015 - Rd of 64, losing to LSS 3-4
2013 - Rd of 16, losing to Baum 1-4
2011 - Rd of 16, losing to Boll 2-4
2009 - Rd of 16, losing to ML 1-4
2007 - Rd of 64, losing to MLin 0-4
True, he hasn't had great WTTC results, and he's probably not all the way back yet. But at his best I think he's even money or better against anyone except ML and FZD. And ML is currently low enough on the ranking list that he and FZD might play as early as the round of 16, so with a good draw DO might get to finals without needing a big upset. And in one match anything's possible. Long shot? Yes. Implausible? No.

Jan 2018
In 2015, I believe he got Fang Bo and lost 3-4 in R16 or so. He really deserves better.

In 2011, he got WLQ in R16 as well, losing 1-4.

In 2009, he got Chen Qi in R32, losing 3-4.

So yeah, he has that luck.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In 2011, he got WLQ in R16 as well, losing 1-4.

In 2009, he got Chen Qi in R32, losing 3-4.

So yeah, he has that luck.

I have a high level friend who thinks Xu Xin hates playing his compatriots and can't bring forth the same effort as he does against players from other countries. My friend doesn't deny Xu Xin's imbalanced game so I found his perspective interesting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
True, and with the re-developed bh he now possess he could've gone all the way. Has Xu Xin lost some of the step he once had? Ma Long has certainly lost some lateral movement. Maybe it's rustiness, but I think it's age. Ma Long needs to stay closer to the table to win this time.

Yeah. Though I believe if Xu Xin hadn't played all the events he was eligible for (which he also all won apart from the singles), it might have been a different story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
True, and with the re-developed bh he now possess he could've gone all the way. Has Xu Xin lost some of the step he once had? Ma Long has certainly lost some lateral movement. Maybe it's rustiness, but I think it's age. Ma Long needs to stay closer to the table to win this time.

Whatever Ma Long lost (assuming mild rust) is invisible to my naked eye. He let FZD off the hook at the Asian Cup. I don't know what to take from a loss where Ma Long was up in just about every game. His serves look nastier and his third ball is surprisingly sharper. He just got caught by FZD implementing some Zhang Jike and Wang Hao weapons built for ML. At he has early warning.

Xu Xin, I blame the plastic ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The 2nd set puzzled me. ML lost a healthy lead 6-1 and 9-5. Maybe it's like what the person behind Ma Long Fanmade channel said to me, that ML is not showing all his tricks but keeping the aces up his sleeve until WTTC.

Whatever Ma Long lost (assuming mild rust) is invisible to my naked eye. He let FZD off the hook at the Asian Cup. I don't know what to take from a loss where Ma Long was up in just about every game. His serves look nastier and his third ball is surprisingly sharper. He just got caught by FZD implementing some Zhang Jike and Wang Hao weapons built for ML. At he has early warning.

Xu Xin, I blame the plastic ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The 2nd set puzzled me. ML lost a healthy lead 6-1 and 9-5. Maybe it's like what the person behind Ma Long Fanmade channel said to me, that ML is not showing all his tricks but keeping the aces up his sleeve until WTTC.

ML not doing post-match interviews said it all. He let one slip and he knew it. What it means for the future is the question. But not giving post-match interviews is not consistent with being okay with a loss because you didn't give your best. Not consistent at all. ML actively used his shorten the points game when he was in trouble. That is not a sign of someone who is keeping his best game secret.

Jan 2018
I have a high level friend who thinks Xu Xin hates playing his compatriots and can't bring forth the same effort as he does against players from other countries. My friend doesn't deny Xu Xin's imbalanced game so I found his perspective interesting.

LGL actually touched upon that in his latest interview. Will sub it tmw.

This user has no status.
Our devastating boy Harimoto blew into the scene on an irresistible tidal wave of sport's transformation, informing all in attention the value of at-the-table/close-to-the-table play (with China's Lin erasing any remaining skeptics by winning the China team trial with similar positioning, though different techniques, and vaulting passed a number of other powerful prospects vying for China's most elevated echelon)

Close-to-the-table style does seem to be the trend right now, but XX is still WR# 2. Harimoto and LGY seem to have a hard time against XX.
Btw, I consider Ovtcharov and FZD more as mid-distance attackers. They are most threatening at a step away from the table.
Anyways, that's just my two cents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Close-to-the-table style does seem to be the trend right now, but XX is still WR# 2. Harimoto and LGY seem to have a hard time against XX.
Btw, I consider Ovtcharov and FZD more as mid-distance attackers. They are most threatening at a step away from the table.
Anyways, that's just my two cents.

Very good thoughts; thanks. I have a contact in Germany that has discussed with Ovtcharov his efforts to be less "free roaming". Also, none other than the legendary Jun Mizutani has also engaged in the developmental process of playing closer to the table, as he, in what seemed to be but an instant, was not competitive with Wonder Boy at the Japanese Championships.

From my view, XX is not in the discussion, as he is unquestionably extra-terrestrial and must be judged by other-worldly standards. If he plays Wonder Boy at this World's, and it is a real match, all my renminbi is the Milky Way over Wonder Boy.

Thanks.