This user has no status.
https://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190430/tab19043018150001-n1.html

Participating in 3 events for the first time, "I felt so difficult to win medals." In particular, from becoming the target for team China to being named the "Great Demon King" by the Chinese media in advance, and losing to the same-aged Sun Yingsha in the 3rd round of singles and hence failing to medal. "China has studied hard and come up with countermeasures together and I felt that the entire team came to defeat 1 player. I felt that "I won't get even 1 point" from the 1st game."

"I could play to 70, 80% of my ability (in a losing match), but I cannot win without 100%. In order to win steadily like a Chinese player, it is necessary to be able to win even at 60 to 70% of power." "It's more important to improve one's strength with high-quality practice than China measures. I feel that I am still not there yet, but I think that I can go further in the future".

This is good. Harimoto and Ito are acknowledging that they are not quite on the same level as the core CNT members.
And it's not just the Chinese players who can defeat them now. Players from other countries are improving very quickly. Harimoto was defeated by Falck and An Jaehyun recently. Ishikawa was defeated by Doo Hoi Kem of Hong Kong.
Oshima/Morizono was defeated by Lebesson/Flore of France.
I'd say team Japan has work to do if they want to have a shot at medals in Tokyo 2020.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...-hayata-come-short-final-world-championships/
“We came in intent on winning, but for Japanese players, this is the stage where we always lose to the Chinese,” Ito said. “They are like a wall for us. We were able to put up good fights, so we are getting stronger, but there is still a talent gap.”
“We had a great chance to win this after going up 2-0,” Hayata said. “It gave me this sensation like there’s no way we can beat Chinese players.

“I’m proud that we got this far, having settled for bronze last time, but obviously we have to find a way to hold on and win these matches.
“Blowing that two-game lead was extremely frustrating,” Ito said. “We were nearly perfect in the second game. But even if you beat them with a perfect game, you have to expect Chinese players to come back. They adjusted, took us off our game and we didn’t get it back.”

Jan 2018
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201904270001068.html
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2019-04-28/doc-ihvhiewr8639142.shtml
準決勝まで強豪中国と当たらない組み合わせで男子シングルス40年ぶりのメダルが期待された張本だが、格下に敗退。宮崎氏は「張本は飛び級で大きな大会に出ている半面、同年代や格下に向かっていくメンタルが弱いことが分かった」と語った。今後、張本のような飛び級選手が出てきた場合、格下にも向かっていける精神をつくるため、同年代の大会にも出すことを協会として検討するという。

男子の倉嶋監督は「チキータだけでなく中国の馬竜のように多くの攻撃パターンを身に付ける必要がある」と今後の強化方針を示した。張本は帰国翌日の5月1日~7日まで、右手薬指のケガを治すために休養を取る。

宮崎氏は8強の丹羽について「低身長、パワーもない日本選手は独創的なプレーが必要。丹羽はそのお手本」と高く評価した。「日常の練習から、そのプレーを増やした方が良い」と付け加えた。

東京五輪へ向けたダブルスのペアリングも本格化する。5月末の中国オープンでは丹羽、水谷が男子ダブルスにエントリー。左利き同士は難しいとされるが「五輪へ向けて世界ランクが日本人で2番目、3番目の2人なので、試す必要性がある」と話した。

混合ダブルスでは、吉村・石川組が銀メダルを獲得したが、吉村は同ランク33位で日本人6番目。来年1月のランク上位2人が五輪シングルス代表に、団体戦代表の3人目を強化本部推薦で決める。五輪新種目の混合についても3人に入らなければ出場できない。吉村については「当然3番目が優先される。3番目の選手がダブルス不向きなら4番目。6番目では難しい」と一定の目安を示した。
Although he is expected to win a medal in 40 years for the men's singles in a block that wouldn't meet China until the semi-final, it ended in defeat to a lower-ranked player. Miyazaki said, "Although Harimoto has leapfrogged at a major tournament, I found that his mentality is weak against lower-ranked players and those from the same era." In the future, if another leapfrogging player like Harimoto ever rises, the association will consider sending him to tournaments of the same age group in order to develop a strong mind.

The men's headcoach Kurashima pointed out that he would like to strengthen the future by saying that "in addition to chiquita, it's necessary to acquire many attack patterns as Ma Long of China." Harimoto will take a rest to focus on healing his right ring finger from May 1st to 7th, the day after his return.

Miyazaki highly regarded Niwa for making QF as "Japan players who with small stature or power need creative play. Niwa is a role model." "It's better to improve this aspect from daily practice," he added.

The doubles pairing for Tokyo Olympics will also be in full swing. At the Chinese Open at the end of May, Niwa and Mizutani will enter the men's doubles. It's said that left-handed ones are difficult, but "it is necessary to try because their world ranking are 2nd in Japan and 3rd in the world towards the Olympics".

In the mixed doubles, Yoshimura/Ishikawa pair won the silver medal, but Yoshimura who's ranked 33rd is 6th in Japan. The top 2 in January next year will be selected for the Olympic singles, and the 3rd team member will be recommended by development headquarters. It's not possible to enter the Olympics new mixed doubles without having 3 people. As for Yoshimura, he said, "Of course, the 3rd spot is prioritized. The 3rd player is the 4th if he's not good at doubles. It is difficult at 6th."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This reminds me when China began studying timo

Despite that Timo and Samsonov are still a great threat against Chinese players. Many top Chinese players have fallen before them. *Cough* ML & LGY 2017 world cup.
They are winning less now due to their age. But there's nothing you can do about getting old.
Even if CNT studies a player, great players will always be a threat.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Stiga is celebrating :)

4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes really. That pressure is inhuman. They should obviously protect him and maybe not let him get too exposed to the media frenzy. Let him grow and prepare in more peace and quiet.

Imagine being 15 years old and being the sole hope of the top 2 table tennis nation in the upcoming home Olympics. It can easily break a man, yet alone a child.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
Every top player has to deal with the crushing depression one suffers after a big defeat.
Just imagine how FZD felt after losing to ML so many times, or how ML felt after losing to WH so many times.
The higher the expectation, the harder the fall...

On a side note, is HT speaking Chinese in the interview? It doesn't sound like Japanese.
How is HT's Chinese? I know his parents are Chinese, but I didn't expect him to be able to speak Chinese well, since he lived in Japan his whole life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes really. That pressure is inhuman. They should obviously protect him and maybe not let him get too exposed to the media frenzy. Let him grow and prepare in more peace and quiet.

In all reality , JNT should prep Harimoto for 2024 gold. Even though he can finish in medals at 2020, I feel pity for the kind of pressure he has to undergo.

Reactions: Nemo and RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In all reality , JNT should prep Harimoto for 2024 gold. Even though he can finish in medals at 2020, I feel pity for the kind of pressure he has to undergo.

The big money is for 2020 and he accelerated the time table with his growth. There is likely no other way to do this but focus on 2020.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
This video and article about Ma Long's comeback from knee injury may be of interest to some of you.
Press conference after men's singles final
Ma Long: I think every athlete has pains and struggles. Only the winner has the opportunity to talk about the stories behind the success. I believe every athlete will go through this process. Yesterday I burst into tears when I saw Liu Shiwen winning the title. I understand what difficulties she has been through. I hope people can pay more attention and care to the athletes.

Tecent Sports interview during Marvelous 12 trial
Ma Long: I know I worked hard previously but I want people to see my talent other than hard work. But in recent two years, I have realized how important hard work means to me. In addition to training as hard as other players on the court, I remain passionate for table tennis and I make great efforts off the court for table tennis. After a long break, when I start to play, I find table tennis extremely interesting. I really want to play for more time. I find true love in table tennis. I once was negative because the rehabilitation did not go well. Now things are on the right track and I am quite positive and eager to play. I've thought about even if I cannot go to Olympic Games, I will still continue to play table tennis. I will still stay in this sport. I just love table tennis too much! No matter I can go to Olympic Games or not, I will keep playing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From almost being written off to completing hat-trick of World Champion singles titles, Ma Long realized that hard work but not talent is the key.
by Wang Yiwei from Budapest
https://new.qq.com/cmsn/20190429/20190429001553.html

When Ma Long lifted St. Bride Vase in Budapest, I still felt unreal. Ma Long was kept away from international tournaments for eight months due to knee injury. Two months ago, he was not yet able to play on the table. It was the darkest night of his career. He once thought that he would never return to the court.
Beating Sweden's Mattias Falck by 4-1, Ma Long became World Championships singles champion once again after 2015 and 2017. The 30-year-old matches legendary Zhuang Zedong, another Chinese player to win singles title on three consecutive World Championships.
What we can learn from Ma Long's story is that if you tell yourself in face of difficulty, "It is not over. I cannot leave like this.", your fate can be changed.

The worst time in his career: knee aspiration four times in two months

"One of the most terrifying dreams for me was a dream of me being on a basketball court, stadium's full, and I'm attacking the basket, and I can't get off the ground. I can't jump. Like, I'm stuck. Like, I'm cemented to the floor."
"I was conscious of the fact that I was dreaming. And so now, I'm trying to control my dream. You can jump through it, you can push through it. You can get to that basket. And no matter how hard I tried, my legs were too heavy. Can't jump."
This is the opening of Kobe Bryant's auto documentary "Muse", which includes what he experienced and learnt during 2012-2013 season with his ankle sprain. In the past four months, Ma Long watched it again and again.
"These several months are the most difficult and darkest moments of my career." Ma Long said. Since he started to play table tennis at 5, he had never been away from the table for such a long time.
Last August, Ma Long lost to England's Liam Pitchford in the first round of men's singles at Bulgaria Open. Compared to the upset, the knee injury was more surprising to Ma Long and all. Eight months until this March, Ma Long was absent from international tournaments because his knee was not healing.
During that time, CTTA president Liu Guoliang, head coach of men's team Qin Zhijian and the medical staff brought Ma Long to visit all the knee experts national wide. His knee was worn out due to years of intense training and competitions. Acupuncture and physical therapy were alternating, leaving bruises on his knee. Ma Long was not able to play on the table and just maintained the basic fitness training. However, if the amount of fitness training was increased, the knee was swollen with severe pain. The muscles on his left leg wasted away. In the worst point, his left thigh was almost as small as his left calf, much smaller than the right thigh. In the first two months of 2019, he went to hospital four times for knee aspiration to remove fluid.
The full recovery kept postponing. He entered Swedish Open, Austrian Open and Grand Finals and then withdrew. "Every time I gave hope to people when my name showed on the list. But then I withdrew. I really did not want to disappoint them." He almost broke down on the day to announce another withdrawal from Marvelous 12 trial. World Championships were no more than two months away but he was not able to do intense training on the table.
Over 30, injured, the killing shots no longer devastating due to the bigger ball..."Ma Long was defeated by injury." "He is too old." "Ma Long's time is over." These were the topics on the self media.
At the opening ceremony of Marvelous 12 trial, when his teammates lined up in the cheers of fans, Ma Long was standing on the back stage, looking up at the ceiling, listening to the names of players called by the host.
Ma Long asked himself, "Can I come back at all?"

He once beat the whole world and he would not give in.

By the end of last year, Liu Guoliang returned to Team China and became the president of CTTA. To prepare for Tokyo Olympic Games and to better support the players, Liu Guoliang led a support team for physical therapy and rehabilitation. Physical therapist Rafal joined the team by then. He and team physician Wang Duchun accompanied Ma Long all the time in addition to the coaches.
"Not playing for so long may make you realize how much you love the sport. When you get fully recovered, your desire for victory will be greater than anyone else." In those hard days, Rafal encouraged Ma Long.
Head coach of men's team Qin Zhijian had the same thoughts.
On the return flight from Rio to Beijing in 2016, when Ma Long completed his dream as a Grand Slam winner, Qin Zhijian asked Ma Long two questions, "Can we continue for Tokyo Olympic Games? Why do you want to play Tokyo Olympic Games?" He gave Ma Long half a year to think thoroughly for the answers.
On New Year Eve, the group of Qin Zhijian had dinner together. Ma Long answered, "I want to go to Tokyo Olympic Games because I am still competitive." Qin Zhijian laughed, "That's not enough for us to get to Tokyo". Qin Zhijian knew that the key was how to keep the hunger for victory for the next four years when Ma Long had won everything, if not considering age and injuries.
When Ma Long could not play on the table, he stayed in the gym to work out his arms with fitness coach Tommy. Sometimes, his teammates came to the gym after technical training and complaint to Ma Long, "Too tired after so much training." Ma Long smiled, "You should feel lucky that you can play. I want to play now even if I cannot win." Occasionally he played a few balls with Cui Qinglei who grows up with him. He could not move his left leg but he enjoyed himself a lot.
"I have challenged the rest of the world and I won all. Now my opponent is injury, I cannot easily give up." Ma Long told himself.
Ma Long played both men's singles and men's doubles in Budapest. As he proceeded, his pair met Liang Jingkun's pair in men's doubles semifinal and one day later he would meet Liang Jingkun in men's singles semifinal after whoever played men's doubles final. People thought Ma Long would save energy in men's doubles semifinal for a better chance in men's singles.
"Of course not. When Ma Long goes on to the court, he wants nothing but victory. This is a man who never thinks he gets enough training. How will he give up easily?" Rafal said.
Ma Long's partner is 19-year-old Wang Chuqin, a newcomer at World Championships. Before men's doubles semifinal and final, Ma Long put all the pressure on his own shoulder and told Wang Chuqin, "Relax. You just put the ball on the table. Count on me."
Give it all and fight till the end. Eight years later, Ma Long won World Championships men's doubles title again.

"Hard work and persistence are precious virtues. I will keep going without regrets."

This year there was a 6-day vacation for Chinese New Year for the players to visit family and take a break from the table. Ma Long did not take a single day off. Every morning, he went to Yizhuang Rehabilitation Center in the southern suburb of Beijing with Wang Chundu, then came back to the gym.
"Please let me train more. I am not afraid of pain." He told the physical therapist at Yizhuang Rehabilitation Center on his first visit last winner.
In the closed training for Budapest World Championships, Ma Long finally got back to the table to take two to three intense training sessions a day. Without systematic training for four months, he could not stand the load. Rafal tried to talk with him and joked with him during the physical therapy. "But I was just too tired to reply a word." Ma Long said. Every day after training, he had to ice his knee for half an hour.
People who have trained as a pro may know that it is not always a compliment when someone says "Look, he is so hardworking." "He is so genius." sounds better. It applies to other fields. The stories of genius are more appealing.
For a very long time, Ma Long refused the tag of hardworking. He thought every one in Team China is not lack of talent and hard work, which are the foundations of success. He never agreed that he succeeded because he worked harder.
"While I have realized that I am really hardworking during these days because it is so boring to work out everyday but I keep up. If I have a chance to share my career experience, I want to tell people, hard work and persistence are precious virtues. No matter what the result will be, keep going without regrets." Ma Long said.
If you tell yourself: it is not over and I cannot leave like this, your fate can be changed. Ma Long came back and won men's singles title at Qatar Open.
When he got to the closed training camp in Shenzhen from Doha, it was early morning. No time to adjust jet lag, he showed up in the gym with Tommy that afternoon. The next morning, he was on his way to Yokohama for Asian Cup.
When he won Qatar Open, Team China player Xu Chenhao shared a moment to his friends, "Brother Long is back, the same as before! He is the role model. Team China so formidable!"
CTTA president Liu Guoliang said, "Ma Long made a miracle. He is a great athlete." His greatness is not only about the achievements and records, is about in face of injuries and hardships, the efforts to struggle through and to be reborn.
No one in Team China gets qualified for Olympic Games after 30. Ma Long has won two World Championships men's singles title in Tokyo Olympic cycle. He has the best chance for Tokyo among Team China.
"Table tennis is something that cannot be replaced and taken away from my life. I am working on the qualification for Olympic Games. But if I cannot go, I will still continue to play table tennis, because I love table tennis so much." Fight for passion. Ma Long said Tokyo is not the full stop.

Last edited: