World's Best Table Tennis Robot vs TableTennisDaily's Dan!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Heyyyy Everyone!!

Today I met my first ever non-human table tennis player, Forpheus from Omron at the Messe Exhibition Center in Hanover, Germany. This machine is absolutely incredible and has inbuilt features such as artificial intelligence and the ability to learn from the opponent! What I found mind blowing was how well it handled my shots and spinny serves!

How long until this robot beats a World Champion?

See how amazing this robot is below:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
The way Forpheus AI was receiving Dan's serves was quite impressive I must say ...

The guys at Omron told me when I serve it calculates the balls rotation per second and the angle of spin so it's able to adjust each time. It has a different shot selection depending on the incoming spin. Crazy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
The guys at Omron told me when I serve it calculates the balls rotation per second and the angle of spin so it's able to adjust each time. It has a different shot selection depending on the incoming spin. Crazy!

Yeah it is crazy ... ; ) They way he(it? ; ) was receiving those side spin serves, so deep and right on the line, considering his movement restrictions was quite ... optimized. I wonder how far we are from actually learning from robots some tactics we could incorporate into our games, just like the Chess Grandmasters do it today with Alpha Zero or other AIs. The feeling playing the robot must have been unusual ...? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The machine is getting better. It is obvious that a human will have a tough time trying to play more consistent than the robot. The robot will tire out the human.
It looks like Dan could have hit the ball much faster and bounce the ball long off the machine's paddle.
I would try very spinny back spin serves. Or very fast top spin serves to try to get a high bounce that I could hit hard.
I wonder how it would play against long pips. It looks like the paddle has markers on it.

The learning part isn't as big a problem for a TT robot as it is for Alpha Zero or Alpha Go.
The TT machine needs to keep updating the coefficients for it model as conditions change but this isn't too difficult to do.

That machine will cost a lot more than $250K.

says Hi TT Comunity!
That's right Brokenball and in the future a robot tournament will be made, for example butterfly bot vs Stiga bot hehehehe

The machine is getting better. It is obvious that a human will have a tough time trying to play more consistent than the robot. The robot will tire out the human.
It looks like Dan could have hit the ball much faster and bounce the ball long off the machine's paddle.
I would try very spinny back spin serves. Or very fast top spin serves to try to get a high bounce that I could hit hard.
I wonder how it would play against long pips. It looks like the paddle has markers on it.

The learning part isn't as big a problem for a TT robot as it is for Alpha Zero or Alpha Go.
The TT machine needs to keep updating the coefficients for it model as conditions change but this isn't too difficult to do.

That machine will cost a lot more than $250K.

Reactions: RidTheKid