How to get used to new rubber ?

This is true but besides the point. Rubbers are different but not so different that you can't learn how to adjust to them once you get a feel for what the rubber is supposed to do. Tenergy 64 is more speed oriented but it is still a very spinny rubber. It blocks and pushes well. I believe CCY of Chinese Taipei still uses it.

To adjust to any new equipment, use your basic stroke. After using it for a while, just learn to adjust to the incoming spin by changing

1) where your racket starts the swing,
2) where in your mind you make contact on the ball
3) where in your mind you finish and
4) how much of the wood you feel in your racket while swinging.

Topspin strokes have a curved racket path so they turn/spin the ball, so to speak. You can by making changes to the 4 variables above get an idea of what your rubber does and get good expectations on what you need to do to make certain shots.

IF you are a very advanced player and are set on a certain type of equipment, the instinctive changes might be longer to get used to. But at your level, it shouldn't be too hard honestly to just change your swing slightly and see how the ball responds to it. I have rubber preferences, but if I get a new rubber, I can play with it, it just won't suit me immediately, but if I had to use it for a week (say I travelled to another country and it was all I had), I would use it reliably after a while. You just have to learn what it does and adjust and stop trying to swing exactly the same way as you did with your old equipment and assume that it will work exactly the same way.

Equipment is rarely too fast if you have coaching or you train a lot and can move to the ball. The extra speed is at the margins for tricky balls (if you are always getting to the ball late or you are often playing balls you can't read precisely or are above your level in quality). Just learn where to hit on the ball and you will be fine, it will rarely be the same if you change equipment, and learning to adjust your swing to the equipment, the hall conditions, the opponent's timing etc. is part of being a good player.

Thank you very much, This is indeed a wonderful answer to help my adjustment.

Reactions: NextLevel
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Buddy, firstly stop thinking that you are not that talented or whatsoever. Ultimately, it is just a rubber which is fast and requires certain adjustments. Why are you afraid of it? Take it with an impression that it is a world class product and you have a coach with you with whose help you will adapt to it.
I used to buy paddles and rubbers without even knowing what will suit me. But I later decided that I should just adapt and keep using the same thing till it becomes my second nature. Okay, this is a long road, less traveled. But I learnt my lesson and I am playing reasonably good with Tenergy. In short, the more you use it, the better you will feel and that is what everyone else is also suggesting. Keep your confidence level high and that would really help you in overcoming hurdles, especially like this one.

Reactions: Restuadi Restuadi
Buddy, firstly stop thinking that you are not that talented or whatsoever. Ultimately, it is just a rubber which is fast and requires certain adjustments. Why are you afraid of it? Take it with an impression that it is a world class product and you have a coach with you with whose help you will adapt to it.
I used to buy paddles and rubbers without even knowing what will suit me. But I later decided that I should just adapt and keep using the same thing till it becomes my second nature. Okay, this is a long road, less traveled. But I learnt my lesson and I am playing reasonably good with Tenergy. In short, the more you use it, the better you will feel and that is what everyone else is also suggesting. Keep your confidence level high and that would really help you in overcoming hurdles, especially like this one.

Thank you very much for your encouragement, I really appreciate that.

You got me there, I should admit that I'm indeed "afraid",
After years of training and playing, this is maybe the very first time, I feels like I totally lost control of my equipment.

But, after reading many helpful replies in this thread, I learn a lot.
Some technical aspect (like @NextLevel and @yogi_bear) and some psychological as well (like @NDH and your kind encouragement).

I guess, indeed Table Tennis is a complicated game that has strong "psychological" aspect as well.

Thank you again,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
If you feel it this much, i think it really don't make sense to continue with it. Even with some training you won't get to the point where you feel you have perfect control over your equipment and that's what you should aim for, in my opinion.

I have played several time with something too fast, it's really not a nice feeling for me, it's stop me to play my stroke really fully, with confidence. I always finally downgraded a bit and it was always way better

If you had good feeling with your old equipment and no reproach, i don't see the point to change also :)

Also as some have said, Tenergy 64 is very fast from what i've heard (not tried myself) and it seems to me that even some pro have slower equipment

So if after 5, 6 sessions you're still not fully fully adapted, i don't see the point. Why hurt the fun you have with table tennis ? Just me opinion by the way

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Have No time to read all answers now so Maybe people already asked this. Why Do he wants you to change?

Play it with the rubber and you Will get more used to it.

If you feel it this much, i think it really don't make sense to continue with it. Even with some training you won't get to the point where you feel you have perfect control over your equipment and that's what you should aim for, in my opinion.

I have played several time with something too fast, it's really not a nice feeling for me, it's stop me to play my stroke really fully, with confidence. I always finally downgraded a bit and it was always way better

If you had good feeling with your old equipment and no reproach, i don't see the point to change also :)

Also as some have said, Tenergy 64 is very fast from what i've heard (not tried myself) and it seems to me that even some pro have slower equipment

So if after 5, 6 sessions you're still not fully fully adapted, i don't see the point. Why hurt the fun you have with table tennis ? Just me opinion by the way

Yes, I've thought to change back to my old set-up too, but having already spent "huge" amount of money to try this rubber, make me stay for a while. Moreover, this "uncomfortable" upgrade also by my coach instruction, so I also interested to see where it goes...

After last week worth of frustration, now I'm pretty much enjoying this "uncomfortable" process.

Thanks, for your opinion. Indeed, I'm planning to chance back, if I'm still stuck next month...

Reactions: Wister
Have No time to read all answers now so Maybe people already asked this. Why Do he wants you to change?

Play it with the rubber and you Will get more used to it.

Yep, basically my coach said, its time to upgrade to a "faster" ones, he did mention especially on my backhand side.
But, since the explanation is not that clear yet, (and Its already a week worth of failure to control it - at least for my standard) I'm determined to ask again (we'll meet again somewhere next week, the coach is not available in these easter holiday seasons)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing now, train and keep trying. Now following some advice and pointers from this forum, at least I know what to do on my own.