Rubber for clipper

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I don't dislike Baracuda and can do a lot of things with it. Flicking not particularly being one of these, that is, the classic flick doesn't work very well for me with it. The banana flick (which is a short little spin rather than a classic flick) sort of works with it.

And I don't think it really excels when blocking either. It spins, it pushes, it serves, but for me at least a lot of rubbers work better for blocks, counters, flicks, flat hits.

I'd recommend Rozena or Vega Pro, both below max thickness, with these applications in mind.

Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I don't dislike Baracuda and can do a lot of things with it. Flicking not particularly being one of these, that is, the classic flick doesn't work very well for me with it. The banana flick (which is a short little spin rather than a classic flick) sort of works with it.

And I don't think it really excels when blocking either. It spins, it pushes, it serves, but for me at least a lot of rubbers work better for blocks, counters, flicks, flat hits.

I'd recommend Rozena or Vega Pro, both below max thickness, with these applications in mind.

I wanted to say that it’s quite subjective what one considers a good all-round rubber, but OP asked not to. I don’t think Baracuda excels in anything particularly, but it kinda works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The consideration should be more: what would good rubbers for you be. The rubbers you have will work on the Clipper. The rubbers you have may have a slightly lower throw angle on the stiffer, faster blade. But if you still feel Vega Pro has slightly too high of a throw angle For You, then something similar with a slightly lower throw angle....

Vega Europe?

Next Karis M would probably be excellent for you if you can get your hands on it. It is a lot like Vega Pro in many ways but, more easily controlled and not quite as high a throw angle.

Any of those rubbers, the ones you are using and/or Vega Europe, or Nexy Karis M would work well on a Clipper.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Blade & rubber composition is such a tricky game. It baffles me sometimes.

Recent Example:

Been playing with a Gambler Fire Dragon Touch which is a very nice, carbon flexy, slow blade. Had H3 Neo commercial on it. Loved the combination. Then as a gift from the family, I got a couple of sheets of Gamber Burst Thors Hammer sponge which is similar but pretty firm sponge.... I hated it. Sending everything long. Thought "This Burst just isn't for me."

Then a few weeks ago, I tried Burst on my Stiga Clipper which I've largely retired now that I'm not playing short pips anymore. The Clipper I've largely had the opinion that it's a great SP blade being fast & stiff but not a great inverted blade for me. Well for some bizzare reason this pairing is great for me and I've since gone to it as my main setup and had one of my better wins of recent memory at club just the other week.

You'd think stiff blade & firm sponge would equal not enough spin but it's landing for me. I don't know. Maybe the throw is higher on my Gambler blade and that's why i was sending it long. Just not sure.

Anyways, Clipper + Gambler Burst Thors Hammer sponge is working well for me.

This user has no status.
Blade & rubber composition is such a tricky game. It baffles me sometimes.

Recent Example:

Been playing with a Gambler Fire Dragon Touch which is a very nice, carbon flexy, slow blade. Had H3 Neo commercial on it. Loved the combination. Then as a gift from the family, I got a couple of sheets of Gamber Burst Thors Hammer sponge which is similar but pretty firm sponge.... I hated it. Sending everything long. Thought "This Burst just isn't for me."

Then a few weeks ago, I tried Burst on my Stiga Clipper which I've largely retired now that I'm not playing short pips anymore. The Clipper I've largely had the opinion that it's a great SP blade being fast & stiff but not a great inverted blade for me. Well for some bizzare reason this pairing is great for me and I've since gone to it as my main setup and had one of my better wins of recent memory at club just the other week.

You'd think stiff blade & firm sponge would equal not enough spin but it's landing for me. I don't know. Maybe the throw is higher on my Gambler blade and that's why i was sending it long. Just not sure.

Anyways, Clipper + Gambler Burst Thors Hammer sponge is working well for me.

I play BTH on a 7-ply blade with similar composition to the Clipper but a little thinner and really, really like it. I could see where a very flexy blade would make it uncontrollable because the rubber is firm but has a decently strong bounce. Couple that with getting the blade to flex and the ball's gonna get thrown all over the place on stronger shots.

Reactions: suds79