Butterfly Dignics 05 Rubber Review

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey guys! Here's our latest review of the new Dignics 05 rubber by Butterfly! This is a new series by Butterfly using the their latest tech, Spring Sponge X. We compare this to the popular Tenergy 05 and more.

I'm joined by Tom in the TableTennisDaily Studio where we give the rubber a full in depth analysis on how it performs!

More reviews of the Dignics 05 can be found in the TableTennisDaily Equipment Review Centre here.

Have you tried this rubber yet? Let us know in the comments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Dan said that timo uses dignics 05 on the backhand.Any ideas what he uses on the forehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I really like these reviews! Fun to watch! But i feel a little that everything they test is good all the time so hard to know how good tthe tested stuff really are. Also feel that they could try to compare more to other stuff they have used so it will be easier for us to understand how good the stuff are.

I do think that tenergy, and proably dignics is the best stuff out there but i do not think that many of us are good enough to really benefit from the rubbers and make it worth the money. For many of us other cheaper rubbers would work as good. maybe other rubbers that are not as "good" would even benefit us more. for Many not so good players, that need to work with the technique tenergys and dignics maybe could be just to fast.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Interesting, Andy Smith said basically the same thing about the Dignics05 being very good on the BH.

It's very strong on shots that rely on fine contact - BH flick receives are incredible with it. Has a really special performance in that area. It's also a lot of fun in those mid-distance loop-loop rallies where you can react to a dropping ball with a bit more wrist action to generate the extra arc you need - the lack of sharp catapult and overall smoother experience does inspire confidence. I had a few of the same rallies you see with Dan and Tom, only at a...slightly...lower level (Dan and Tom being the Gucci handbags of loop-loop, me and my guys being Poundland plastic buckets) - but they still felt epic at the time.

If there was one downside (because there's always a downside, putting the outrageous cost to one side) it's that it doesn't feel totally familiar in some situations. The catapult is pretty restrained compared to T05, which I feel is a good thing for me, but the way that the topsheet is immediately active with slight action feels a bit strange initially. It's very flat during direct impacts - passive/active blocking, flat hits and so on. But then just a little bit of topsheet work results in an immediate result. It's not uncontrollable by any means, and the more linear nature helps to restrain the suddenness of this, but I had two first-session issues. First - when close-in playing basic topspin drives, adding a little more action to increase the spin from a "vanilla" shot would give a surprisingly high/long ball. Second - when playing topspin, then coming in to flat-hit-kill a loose ball, I'd put the ball into the net because I got used to the easy arc from the preceding topspin play. Nothing awful, and would just need some adjustment time. I think lineup32 over at myTT mentioned something along these lines - amazing shots most of the time, more solidity/reliability making it easier to use than T05, but the odd unusual error which takes you by surprise.

But it's SO strong when attacking backspin when over the table - it's almost worth the money for that alone. Almost.

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
40 degrees is equal to what hardness in ESN? 48??

I don't think anyone knows how to accurately compare the scales the different manufacturers use. Zeio had the most info about that if I recall. But I'd say it's close to 48 if my guess counts. I thought it would feel harder than it does - only slightly harder than T05 overall, so I guess the topsheet must be playing into that somewhat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Nothing will ever be worth paying 105 USD for a sheet ... don't get me wrong I own few of the of the more expensive equipments and have used Butterfly stuff a lot but this is just ridiculous
It's very strong on shots that rely on fine contact - BH flick receives are incredible with it. Has a really special performance in that area. It's also a lot of fun in those mid-distance loop-loop rallies where you can react to a dropping ball with a bit more wrist action to generate the extra arc you need - the lack of sharp catapult and overall smoother experience does inspire confidence. I had a few of the same rallies you see with Dan and Tom, only at a...slightly...lower level (Dan and Tom being the Gucci handbags of loop-loop, me and my guys being Poundland plastic buckets) - but they still felt epic at the time.

If there was one downside (because there's always a downside, putting the outrageous cost to one side) it's that it doesn't feel totally familiar in some situations. The catapult is pretty restrained compared to T05, which I feel is a good thing for me, but the way that the topsheet is immediately active with slight action feels a bit strange initially. It's very flat during direct impacts - passive/active blocking, flat hits and so on. But then just a little bit of topsheet work results in an immediate result. It's not uncontrollable by any means, and the more linear nature helps to restrain the suddenness of this, but I had two first-session issues. First - when close-in playing basic topspin drives, adding a little more action to increase the spin from a "vanilla" shot would give a surprisingly high/long ball. Second - when playing topspin, then coming in to flat-hit-kill a loose ball, I'd put the ball into the net because I got used to the easy arc from the preceding topspin play. Nothing awful, and would just need some adjustment time. I think lineup32 over at myTT mentioned something along these lines - amazing shots most of the time, more solidity/reliability making it easier to use than T05, but the odd unusual error which takes you by surprise.

But it's SO strong when attacking backspin when over the table - it's almost worth the money for that alone. Almost.