Butterfly Dignics 05 Rubber Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I find the information about the arc a bit confusing. Not sure what may be true when compared to T05, but it sounds like it has a slightly lower arc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Guys, seriously, the price tag is ridiculous. I know that you will give loads of good facts about why is that spensive, but please, do not support that kind of movements from the TT Brands or we will end all paying 50€ per a random rubber in a few years.
Don't get me wrong I'm not being a hater, just triying to call the community common sense.
Kind regards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hey guys! Here's our latest review of the new Dignics 05 rubber by Butterfly!
Great review again Dan! Could you elaborate a but more why you think the Dignics 05 would be better for your BH than T05? Could you take a picture of the sheets of T05 and D05 side by side? Thanks buddy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

The totality of evidence we have to-date, provided by an impressive group of analysts, forces the drawing of the conclusion that Butterfly has made a major mistake in its pricing of Dignics. The spectacular qualities of the Tenergy line so closely approached the optimal range of rubber qualities for the contemporary offensive player that, short of a yet-to-be-discovered-and-realized confluence of new materials and engineering brilliance, there is now no means of effecting a major technology advancement in offensive rubbers. Refinements, yes; fundamental advancement, no.

The pricing of Dignics implicitly declared that Dignics had attained a standard that it did not.

In reflecting on the existing strong thread in the table tennis community on the perception of the excessive pricing of the Tenergy series, the excellent reviews of the specific qualities of Dignics, when juxtaposed with the Tenergy series, makes the Dignics pricing even more absurd.

Dignics is another great rubber from Butterfly. It should be priced at the Tenergy level.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I will probably offer nothing of value to this discussion, only my opinion. I just want to say that I have absolutely zero interest in Dignics, and there are two reasons for this:

1. It will not make you a better player. Practice TT will. Ma Long will beat you with a pocket book.
2. I already have the best rubbers in the universe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
53, according to the conversion tables I've seen.

I think it was Zeio who brought up the difficulty of conversion tables with this stuff. If ESN use Shore and BTY Asker scales, the measuring devices and processes are so different that there isn't a 1:1 conversion of any accuracy worth using.

FWIW, Dignics 05 feels nowhere near 53. Much softer.

I find the information about the arc a bit confusing. Not sure what may be true when compared to T05, but it sounds like it has a slightly lower arc.

Reports on arc can be very subjective, so take everything with a pinch of salt. Overall I'd say that D05 is still a high-arc rubber. Compared to T05, D05 is easier to generate that arc on slower, finer contact shots, so it feels higher arc when playing slow loops, opening up against backspin and so on. On much harder shots it's a bit lower arc than T05, but not low by any means. The middle gears are pretty much the same IMO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Guys, seriously, the price tag is ridiculous. I know that you will give loads of good facts about why is that spensive, but please, do not support that kind of movements from the TT Brands or we will end all paying 50€ per a random rubber in a few years.
Don't get me wrong I'm not being a hater, just triying to call the community common sense.
Kind regards.

The price is horrible - I didn't pay full retail for my sheet and if I couldn't import it for less then I wouldn't have bothered. The only way the price increase makes any sense is if BTY's claim of increased durability means I can get much more use out of it. And even then I don't like the trend that it may establish. But this shouldn't be news - BTY's pricing policy for Tenergy has always been grim in my eyes.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
The price is horrible - I didn't pay full retail for my sheet and if I couldn't import it for less then I wouldn't have bothered. The only way the price increase makes any sense is if BTY's claim of increased durability means I can get much more use out of it. And even then I don't like the trend that it may establish. But this shouldn't be news - BTY's pricing policy for Tenergy has always been grim in my eyes.

If it works for the TT player the price is fine. We are not talking about housing or health care which are critical elements in life rather TT rubbers. It was great to see Dan's review as he had actually used the rubber for 3 weeks extensively and could provide a creditable review of its capability rather than having short practice session and offering his opinion and he never discussed price vs performance as he understands its up to the individual players to make that judgement.

NDH

says Spin to win!
If it works for the TT player the price is fine. We are not talking about housing or health care which are critical elements in life rather TT rubbers. It was great to see Dan's review as he had actually used the rubber for 3 weeks extensively and could provide a creditable review of its capability rather than having short practice session and offering his opinion and he never discussed price vs performance as he understands its up to the individual players to make that judgement.

I half agree with you on the price side of things - If someone can afford it, who are we to tell them it’s bad just because of the price?

But..... I think it’s the overall trend that would concern me. £56 for Tenergy now feels “normal”, for many players in the UK - But in reality, it’s a hefty price to pay (although I still pay it!)

So I fully understand people wanting to make a stand against this type of pricing structure, and the only way you can do that is by not buying the product.

Butterfly are acting like Apple - A marketing company that produces table tennis equipment.

The ONLY way you can justify Dignics is if it does last longer than Tenergy, but with the entry barrier being so high, it’ll exclude thousands of players regardless.

I thought Dans review was good, but it wouldn’t be anywhere near enough for me to buy it. Having tried it myself (briefly), there was nothing that stood out as revolutionary.

It could have easily been called “Tenergy XYZ” and would have fit into that family very nicely.

Maybe the extra performance comes from people feeling invincible with their super expensive rubber!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This is a very good question. The tighter the radius of the arc, the greater the spin is. Dan seemed to contradict this.
If T05 has a tighter arc, then T05 creates more spin all other things being evil

The force that causes the ball to drop or create the arc is called the Magnus effect.
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/329/lectures/node43.html
Notice the statement at the end that says the force due to the Magnus effect is about 1/3 the force of gravity for a base ball.

Dan's evaluation was very subjective , inconsistent and misleading. It would have been better to shoot tt balls at a sheets of Dignics and Tenergy mounted on thick wood, plastic or steel that wouldn't absorb energy and make videos like PathFinderPro. Then it would be easier to see the difference.

How do you measure more grip? Inverted rubbers already are very grippy. I would try to find the coefficient of friction. As the ball impacts the rubber, the force increases. The friction eventually stops the rotation of the ball. This probably happens in micro seconds. This is too fast to be seen on a high speed camera, but two TT balls could be carefully cut in two to create 4 halves and then these can be glued to something flat. This can be dragged across the surface of Tenergy and Dignics to measure the relative drag or friction. It would be good to add weight to the flat surface to simulate higher forces of impact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

Dan's review was excellent. He didn't mention the price at all, which I felt was something of a small red flag actually rather than "he's leaving it up to us to decide", because he's obviously prepared to give his opinion on the rubber in every other way. I wonder if he paid money for the rubber, as I did, or if he was sent them for free? Worth considering I think. If he had discussed value for money, but received the rubber for free, he may have been in a tricky position. If he didn't buy them with his own cash then he did the right thing and kept a value judgement out of it.

It should be plainly obvious that value judgments are incredibly subjective and personal. I don't feel the need to add "in my opinion, based on my financial circumstances" at the end of any sentence where I discuss the price. I don't feel like anyone reading my post would be so stupid to think that "it's too expensive" is a universal statement applying equally to a TT player on the poverty line and Elon Musk. But to compare rubber prices to housing or health care is a really odd stance to take, IMO. I presume we can just have rubbers at any price, so long as some arbitrary other social costs you pluck out of the air aren't impacted or comparable? For me, this price is mad and the rubber must do mad things to justify it, or I simply can't/won't pay it. I have too many other outgoings and interests in my life to accept it, beyond the "principle" of the matter where we look at the overall TT marketplace (as NDH and others on this thread have said). I don't expect everyone to agree with this - it's just an opinion.

I presume the comment about the single practice session was aimed at me. Tell you what - before I start to discuss a rubber in future I'll check in with you, the gatekeeper of TT forums, to check that I've used it for long enough before I start to chat about it. I hope that's OK with you? I'm a long way from doing a review, if I choose to do so at all. Just random thoughts after a single session, which I made clear. You shouldn't compare my posts with Dan's full review - it's silly to even try to give them equal weighting, and even sillier to try to make out that I'm trying to do the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
I hope Dignics is a giant success, all the pros start using it, demand for Tenergy drops off a cliff, and Butterfly has to lower the price of T05. So, please, from now on only positive reviews. That shouldn't be too hard because D05 is an excellent rubber based on my 10 minute hit with it on a borrowed blade. Slightly harder, less bouncy than T05, even grippier. Unique feel. In conclusion, a sheet of D05 is easily $200 worth of rubber for only $105. That's what I call a bargain.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Question is, will the sponsored players be willing to change from Tenergy to Dignics.

Some already have. But they don't have to pay for their rubber so their considerations are different to most of us. And that's without considering the difference in playing standard.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Dan's review was excellent. He didn't mention the price at all, which I felt was something of a small red flag actually rather than "he's leaving it up to us to decide", because he's obviously prepared to give his opinion on the rubber in every other way. I wonder if he paid money for the rubber, as I did, or if he was sent them for free? Worth considering I think. If he had discussed value for money, but received the rubber for free, he may have been in a tricky position. If he didn't buy them with his own cash then he did the right thing and kept a value judgement out of it.

It should be plainly obvious that value judgments are incredibly subjective and personal. I don't feel the need to add "in my opinion, based on my financial circumstances" at the end of any sentence where I discuss the price. I don't feel like anyone reading my post would be so stupid to think that "it's too expensive" is a universal statement applying equally to a TT player on the poverty line and Elon Musk. But to compare rubber prices to housing or health care is a really odd stance to take, IMO. I presume we can just have rubbers at any price, so long as some arbitrary other social costs you pluck out of the air aren't impacted or comparable? For me, this price is mad and the rubber must do mad things to justify it, or I simply can't/won't pay it. I have too many other outgoings and interests in my life to accept it, beyond the "principle" of the matter where we look at the overall TT marketplace (as NDH and others on this thread have said). I don't expect everyone to agree with this - it's just an opinion.

I presume the comment about the single practice session was aimed at me. Tell you what - before I start to discuss a rubber in future I'll check in with you, the gatekeeper of TT forums, to check that I've used it for long enough before I start to chat about it. I hope that's OK with you? I'm a long way from doing a review, if I choose to do so at all. Just random thoughts after a single session, which I made clear. You shouldn't compare my posts with Dan's full review - it's silly to even try to give them equal weighting, and even sillier to try to make out that I'm trying to do the same.

No the comment about the single practice session was not aimed at you, I have read many of your reviews of not all your rubber reivew, I just think price has noting to do with whether someone may or may not find the rubber attractive from a performance review point of view.

Best to you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
No the comment about the single practice session was not aimed at you, I have read many of your reviews of not all your rubber reivew, I just think price has noting to do with whether someone may or may not find the rubber attractive from a performance review point of view.

Best to you

Oh. Well, I feel a bit silly now. Many apologies! At least we can all see how overly sensitive I am now.