Alternative to smelly Chinese rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hi everyone. I'm currently trying a setup based on EmRatThich's article "10 best blades". Stiga Allround Classic with Hurricane 3 Neo on FH and Stiga Mantra M on BH. It's actually a very enjoyable setup for me, a developing player. But...

The Hurricane stinks of chemicals, and makes my hand, my bag and my other stuff stink as well. There are many accounts of this on the web, apparently "all Chinese rubbers smell", with advice like "let it air out" or "put the racket in a plastic bag" but I just find it appalling to be in contact with something that emits chemicals. Pouring more chemicals on my rubbers to boost them seems appalling too, so I'm not interested in that.

The Mantra doesn't smell, neither did any other non-chinese rubbers I tried so far.

Given no boosting, are there any good alternatives to a hard Chinese rubber that don't smell? I read about Stiga Genesis rubbers which supposedly are some kind of mix of Chinese and Japanese, and Xiom Vega China that has "China" in the name... but would those be similar?

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Pretty much all rubbers are drenched in chemicals as it's not exactly natural tree sap rubber that we're playing with. Quite a lot of hazardous chemicals doesn't smell that much so continue to use H3 if you enjoy playing with it (and putting it into a sealable plastic bag is a good piece of advice).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
this gives me an idea .. somebody should start a batch of "organic" rubbers with sponges sourced directly from the bottom of the ocean !! does not matter whether the ball spins or not .. what matters is you remain healthy !
Pretty much all rubbers are drenched in chemicals as it's not exactly natural tree sap rubber that we're playing with. Quite a lot of hazardous chemicals doesn't smell that much so continue to use H3 if you enjoy playing with it (and putting it into a sealable plastic bag is a good piece of advice).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
this gives me an idea .. somebody should start a batch of "organic" rubbers with sponges sourced directly from the bottom of the ocean !! does not matter whether the ball spins or not .. what matters is you remain healthy !
after the approval of rainbow rubbers, don't give them ideas...

Reactions: Koichi and JST
Aside from the ones mentioned, Genesis 2 m is a chinese rubber but does not smell bad. Joa Golden Tango is esn but has chinese like properties. Vega China does not smell. Bad. You can use a racket case. I dunno why your whole bag stinks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Frank, while reading your post. That "smell" suddenly comes!!!

Some German made rubbers with Chinese properties (from Victas) are:
1) VS 401
2) VS 402 Double Extra
3) vS 402 Limber if you want something softer

BTY Spinart, Xiom Omega Vii Asia are some pretty hard and good stuff too.

This user has no status.
This might sound rude but stay with me:
Are you quite new to the sport?
If so DITCH chinese FH rubbers, they're awesome no doubt BUT SO MANY of them smell strong. Since this is a super personal reason just jump to euro FH or Jap and you#ll be good.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against chinese rubbers I've tried a few. at l;east 10-15

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
This might sound rude but stay with me:
Are you quite new to the sport?
If so DITCH chinese FH rubbers, they're awesome no doubt BUT SO MANY of them smell strong. Since this is a super personal reason just jump to euro FH or Jap and you#ll be good.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against chinese rubbers I've tried a few. at l;east 10-15

Well, everything is possible. Here is the thing. I started with a Stiga Allround Classic and Stiga Cobra 2000 rubbers, they are supposedly Stiga's answer to Sriver. After 7 months of daily playing the rubbers were worn, so I went to TTEX. They suggested soft ESN rubbers and once I get used to that, to get a harder blade. The "soft rubber, hard blade" developing player setup. They put Xiom Elite on my blade, and I hated every second of it. I was used to the Cobra which was kind of dull and medium hard. The Elite was like playing with a blade coated with jell-o. After two weeks of daily play I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to try EmRatThich's recommendation which is what I have now.

Having played with this setup for about a month now the smell is much less but I will definitely not get a smelly rubber again. What I like about the current rubbers is that they are not too soft. The Mantra M is softer than the Hurricane but still firm. The Mantra is fast and direct but bouncy and hard to control when doing short touches. The Hurricane makes me do full body rotations for FH loop which feels great when it works, and short game is super controllable. I started to twiddle the bat and switch sides which also works well, the technique from the Hurricane really works on the Mantra, and I seem to have good force on the BH so Hurricane works there too as long as I don’t go too far from the table.

I'm starting to think maybe firm and linear are the keywords here... so many choices. Maybe I'll just leave this setup alone and when it's worn in a few months I'll get a Korbel with Xiom Vega Pro or Genesis 2 M on both sides. Or, if I can get the touches right, Mantra...

Last edited:
Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Are you a dog? or have amazing smell? never heard anyone with this problem. How can it smell in the bag? have a hard time seeing that his is possible. Maybe you have an extra smelly rubber!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I guess you never bought H3 Neo?

I have used china rubber in the past and smelled my friends neo. Do not think it is a problem. Have much worse things to deal with unfortunaly. In fact i think it smells kinda nice.

But What i meant is people with tacky rubber often have a cover on the rubber or bag then racket case. How is it possible that the whole bag smells?

You can stop the smell in a vacuum package only.
The rubber protecting sheet does nothing against the smell, it just protects the surface. The smell comes from the sponge.
The rocket case would not stop the smell too and after a while the whole bag will smell too.
BUT - if your stinky boots and socks are in the same bag, you would not bother 'bout the rubber smell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I have used china rubber in the past and smelled my friends neo. Do not think it is a problem. Have much worse things to deal with unfortunaly. In fact i think it smells kinda nice.

But What i meant is people with tacky rubber often have a cover on the rubber or bag then racket case. How is it possible that the whole bag smells?

I don't have the racket in a plastic bag inside the case. The smell goes through the racket case and makes my bag and training clothes smell. If you just smell the racket it's not that bad but then it accumulates. Guess putting the racket in a plastic bag would be an option but I'd rather just not have to deal with it.

Apparently the Neo is factory tuned and that tuning evaporates during the first weeks, which smells. By now it smells a lot less and the rubber is a lot more dead.