Alternative to smelly Chinese rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
So just find a booster that doesn't smell then :D And most of them don't.
Also, I think you're stereotyping a bit since you say Chinese rubbers which includes tens if not hundreds of different rubbers out there.

I don’t want to use boosters at all. And the chemicals in H3Neo and Jupiter 2 are applied at the factory.

And the last bit is just silly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I don’t want to use boosters at all. And the chemicals in H3Neo and Jupiter 2 are applied at the factory.

And the last bit is just silly.

If you don’t want to use booster then why buy pre-boosted rubbers? Not getting the point of against boosting but buying boosted rubbers. And forgive me for speaking the truth, but using a small part of something to define the characteristic of the entire category is the very definition of stereotyping .

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have the solution: Sandpaper. Marty Reisman would be proud of you. No booster. Not even any rubber.

Okay....remember. I am joking around.

I guess everyone likes and dislikes different smells. When I was a kid in the 1970s, I loved the smell of gasoline and the smell of the ink we used to fill permanent markers for writing graffiti. Look how technology seems to have taken care of ink and graffiti to a large extent.

But I was glad of my wife protecting me from stuff I can no longer smell.

So, one man’s FloMaster (that is the name of the permanent ink I used back then....I wonder if it still exists) is another man’s raw sewage.

I am going to be no help on rubbers that don’t smell so bad. Someone with a better sense of smell is needed.

I do think most rubbers have some chemicals that probably don’t smell that great. Perhaps this is why so many of my TT buddies seem a bit funny in the head. (I resemble that remark!) [emoji2]

OP, I do hope you find something that works for you to play with and doesn’t negatively impact your olfactory organs.

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I did a search. Look what I just found in the museum of forgotten art supplies:

4946117b9224d9dbff70a9e49a7bc3aa.jpg

Speed glue and kerosene have nothin’ on that bad boy! [emoji2]

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl, What did you do?

You really stepped on it. Now you got the roque Goon Squad gunning for you.

Quick. Start walking a direct course towards the Brooklyn Bridge. Time NOW.

When you get a few minutes along the way, do a hot reboot of ur phone when you get under the tree in front of Stakeout point 13. Remove your phone battery and stash everything inside tin foil and ziplock it up.

Activate the trap door and get inside quickly and close it. As you slide towards the cellar septic tank reach out to the left and pull the lever. This will divert you to the holding cell. Light switch is to the right of the door and emergency key under the toilet seat.

Open the toilet bowl top cover and take out your spare spyphone protected inside the sealed floating unit.

Activate protocol "I SMELL A RAT" from the first sub menu. ttmonster will see the activation code and have a friend in NYC release a story to NY post that you disappeared into a basement after trying to take a sample Pro H3 from a bait pile.

Lay low the next week while we work on a secondary fiversion.

You owe ttmonster big time man.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, What did you do?

You really stepped on it. Now you got the roque Goon Squad gunning for you.

Quick. Start walking a direct course towards the Brooklyn Bridge. Time NOW.

When you get a few minutes along the way, do a hot reboot of ur phone when you get under the tree in front of Stakeout point 13. Remove your phone battery and stash everything inside tin foil and ziplock it up.

Activate the trap door and get inside quickly and close it. As you slide towards the cellar septic tank reach out to the left and pull the lever. This will divert you to the holding cell. Light switch is to the right of the door and emergency key under the toilet seat.

Open the toilet bowl top cover and take out your spare spyphone protected inside the sealed floating unit.

Activate protocol "I SMELL A RAT" from the first sub menu. ttmonster will see the activation code and have a friend in NYC release a story to NY post that you disappeared into a basement after trying to take a sample Pro H3 from a bait pile.

Lay low the next week while we work on a secondary fiversion.

You owe ttmonster big time man.

Monster, have you seen the activation code yet?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi everyone. I'm currently trying a setup based on EmRatThich's article "10 best blades". Stiga Allround Classic with Hurricane 3 Neo on FH and Stiga Mantra M on BH. It's actually a very enjoyable setup for me, a developing player. But...

The Hurricane stinks of chemicals, and makes my hand, my bag and my other stuff stink as well. There are many accounts of this on the web, apparently "all Chinese rubbers smell", with advice like "let it air out" or "put the racket in a plastic bag" but I just find it appalling to be in contact with something that emits chemicals. Pouring more chemicals on my rubbers to boost them seems appalling too, so I'm not interested in that.

The Mantra doesn't smell, neither did any other non-chinese rubbers I tried so far.

Given no boosting, are there any good alternatives to a hard Chinese rubber that don't smell? I read about Stiga Genesis rubbers which supposedly are some kind of mix of Chinese and Japanese, and Xiom Vega China that has "China" in the name... but would those be similar?

Yep, ignoring the subject of stereotyping is the way to go. Good job!

Somehow I missed something. Or maybe some people don't read so well.

The parts of frankhond's post that are in quotes are things he has read other people have said.

One of the things in quotes is: "all Chinese rubbers smell". That is not him who he is saying that. It is a description of things he read on the internet.

He is just asking if there are alternatives to hard Chinese rubbers that don't smell.

What on earth is wrong with that. Why are you guys attacking him for not wanting to play with something where he does not like the smell and is worried about chemicals.

He isn't specifying where the rubbers that don't smell come from. Is he? Even if he is, who cares. Help him or leave off. Of course there are Chinese rubbers that don't smell terrible. And of course there are rubbers from all sorts of manufacturers that do smell pretty much as toxic as Flo-Master Ink. :)

frankhond, why don't you see how Mantra works for FH? If it is good, get the same rubber for FH as you are using on BH. Truthfully, it is often good to use the same rubbers on FH as BH. Amateur TT players sometimes overthink things and think they need a different rubber for FH and BH. You don't. You don't need different rubbers for each wing unless you actually know what specifically you need for each wing that is different than the other wing.

There is no reason to harass someone for wanting rubbers they like and feel good about whether that is rubbers that don't have boosters, don't smell, don't have unwanted chemicals. If you like the chemicals, that is your business. You can use all the boost you like. I don't personally know anyone who would try to stop you. But someone else can like not having them too.

Now I better go back into the hideout Der set up for me since the goon squad is up to no good and they are coming to get me.

Last edited:
Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I do have Mantra M on both sides on my Allround Classic since about a month. It’s a surprisingly bouncy setup that’s great for blocking and attacking, but not for short game over the table. Also this influences how I play, with way more passive returns since the rubber is doing the work. So my coach said I should get a faster blade and more linear rubbers to keep improving my strokes.

Which led to my very controversial post about Jupiter 2.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
You didn't receive your National rubber vacuum sealed?

Nope, and there shouldn’t be, I bought them straight from DHS’s official online store when I last visited China, so unless DHS is selling fake ones themselves it is authentic. The only plastic thing in there is the protective sheet to maintain the tackiness, no vacuum seal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe I misunderstood, if you're referring to the H3 National then I have no experience from them (white package), but the H3N National rubbers come vacuum packed.

Nope, and there shouldn’t be, I bought them straight from DHS’s official online store when I last visited China, so unless DHS is selling fake ones themselves it is authentic. The only plastic thing in there is the protective sheet to maintain the tackiness, no vacuum seal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
You can still use any booster you want with H3N you know :)

So? I don’t see any reason to switch, because you don’t know when the rubber is manufactured and even with the seal it is not guaranteed to still be boosted when you take it out of the seal , you also don’t know what booster was applied or how much, and that affects things a lot. I always suggest people who know how to apply boost to not buy pre-boosted rubbers .

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So? I don’t see any reason to switch, because you don’t know when the rubber is manufactured and even with the seal it is not guaranteed to still be boosted when you take it out of the seal , you also don’t know what booster was applied or how much, and that affects things a lot. I always suggest people who know how to apply boost to not buy pre-boosted rubbers .

But isn't the sponge for the old ones designed for the absorption of speed glue? And isn't the sponge for the Neo designed for the absorption of modern tuners? Also, isn't the Neo sponge more elastic and aren't there tests that show it has a more dynamic response?

Reactions: Suga D