Alternative to smelly Chinese rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
So here’s an update. I’m currently trying a Primorac with Nittaku Fastarc G1. Not exactly Chinese style rubber, but it’s quite hard and not at all bouncy like Mantra M. Short play and light hits are slow and short, when hitting hard loops I get really good speed. Doesn’t feel heavy. Linear with a direct feel in the vein H3Neo or Jupiter 2 (with factory boost intact) but grippy, not sticky top sheet. And no smell :). I’ll probably stay with this for some time and see how it goes.

I got to try Calibra Tour H on my forehand, another hard rubber. But this was very nonlinear, dead for light touches until rubber suddenly engages and you get superfast, long trajectories. Very heavy so it was hard to do quick attacks near the table. Great for someone who specializes in long distance looping but not for me. Something to note is that when I really whack it with the Fastarc and get a good hit, the speed is almost the same as with the Calibra.

Also I got to briefly try an Infinity(?) with Genesis S on both sides. This did have a Chinese feel, sort of the opposite of Fastarc with sticky topsheet and softer sponge. Could be something to consider if the M version isn’t too bouncy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Also I got to briefly try an Infinity(?) with Genesis S on both sides. This did have a Chinese feel, sort of the opposite of Fastarc with sticky topsheet and softer sponge. Could be something to consider if the M version isn’t too bouncy.

I think it was a Stiga Allround oversize with Genesis ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I do not know why you find Nittaku G1 not bouncy.

Ok, I guess it’s bouncier than a dead sheet of H3. But compared to the other tensors I tried it’s very linear especially on short play. The speed comes when hitting hard, “you get what you put in”.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
@frankhond, instead of looking for alternatives, substitutes... keep playing your favorite china "smelly" rubbers with only one addition.
My 50 cents in resolving bad smell issue - add into your batwallet a couple of bags of Silica Gel which is an excellent and very chip absorbent.
It kills cca 80% of the bad smell, hopefully you can live with those 20% or less :).
In addition, silica gel is very good for your blade too, as all water based glues are essentially - water based... and silica gel shall absorb all excessive water too, preventing your blade becoming deformed (or at least prolonging that period).
Double happiness!!!
Hope this was helpful.

This user has no status.
@frankhond, instead of looking for alternatives, substitutes... keep playing your favorite china "smelly" rubbers with only one addition.
My 50 cents in resolving bad smell issue - add into your batwallet a couple of bags of Silica Gel which is an excellent and very chip absorbent.
It kills cca 80% of the bad smell, hopefully you can live with those 20% or less :).
In addition, silica gel is very good for your blade too, as all water based glues are essentially - water based... and silica gel shall absorb all excessive water too, preventing your blade becoming deformed (or at least prolonging that period).
Double happiness!!!
Hope this was helpful.

Hey, that's exactly what I do!
But I keep silica gel in all my racket cases for moisture absorption, to keep my blades in good condition.
I never knew it also absorbs some the bad smell from the rubbers.

This user has no status.
totally agree

Somehow I missed something. Or maybe some people don't read so well.

The parts of frankhond's post that are in quotes are things he has read other people have said.

One of the things in quotes is: "all Chinese rubbers smell". That is not him who he is saying that. It is a description of things he read on the internet.

He is just asking if there are alternatives to hard Chinese rubbers that don't smell.

What on earth is wrong with that. Why are you guys attacking him for not wanting to play with something where he does not like the smell and is worried about chemicals.

He isn't specifying where the rubbers that don't smell come from. Is he? Even if he is, who cares. Help him or leave off. Of course there are Chinese rubbers that don't smell terrible. And of course there are rubbers from all sorts of manufacturers that do smell pretty much as toxic as Flo-Master Ink. :)

frankhond, why don't you see how Mantra works for FH? If it is good, get the same rubber for FH as you are using on BH. Truthfully, it is often good to use the same rubbers on FH as BH. Amateur TT players sometimes overthink things and think they need a different rubber for FH and BH. You don't. You don't need different rubbers for each wing unless you actually know what specifically you need for each wing that is different than the other wing.

There is no reason to harass someone for wanting rubbers they like and feel good about whether that is rubbers that don't have boosters, don't smell, don't have unwanted chemicals. If you like the chemicals, that is your business. You can use all the boost you like. I don't personally know anyone who would try to stop you. But someone else can like not having them too.

Now I better go back into the hideout Der set up for me since the goon squad is up to no good and they are coming to get me.

The discussion really went sideways from some of the arguments on page 3~4. I had to put efforts into distinguishing what were the ‘irrelevant-to-the-thread’ post constantly. That was annoying.

btw.You and yogi post on this site a lot XD.

Last edited: