What's your favorite hybrid (tacky top + tensor sponge) rubber?

This user has no status.
I'm currently looking to upgrade my FH rubber (Galaxy Jupiter II) to something faster/bouncier.
I naturally thought of all the hybrid rubbers being released this year - Tibhar K1, Stiga Genesis II, and Donic BlueGrip.
I'm also open to Chinese tacky rubbers like provincial Battle II and Sanwei Target National/Pro.

I'm curious to know which ones are your favorite hybrid tacky rubbers with tensor/springy sponge?
Is Sanwei Target National similar to European hybrids, such as K1, Genesis, or BlueGrip?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I've tried the Genesis II, both the M and S versions and liked it quite a bit. I intend to buy the Blue Grip shortly and try it as well. I've been almost primarily using ESN rubbers the last several years (Donic Bluestorm, Joola Rhyzer, Gewo Nexxus EL Pro and XT Pro, Stiga Mantra, etc). However i'm intrigued by the tackier top sheet with an ESN sponge, so I intend to likely try them all over the coming months to see how they suit my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I've been almost primarily using ESN rubbers the last several years (Donic Bluestorm, Joola Rhyzer, Gewo Nexxus EL Pro and XT Pro, Stiga Mantra, etc).

This might sound like nitpicking, but from my knowledge the Mantra isn't made by ESN, it's made in Japan.
If I recall correctly it's made by Fuso or Daiki. But rather take this with a pinch of salt and better don't quote me on that.
;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I've tried the Genesis II, both the M and S versions and liked it quite a bit. I intend to buy the Blue Grip shortly and try it as well. I've been almost primarily using ESN rubbers the last several years (Donic Bluestorm, Joola Rhyzer, Gewo Nexxus EL Pro and XT Pro, Stiga Mantra, etc). However i'm intrigued by the tackier top sheet with an ESN sponge, so I intend to likely try them all over the coming months to see how they suit my game.

How does Genesis II M compare to non-tacky tensors, like say Bluestorm or Mantra, in terms of speed and control? Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Yet to try the K2 but I've always hated hybrids because they tend to bottom out. The likes of Target or Big Dipper has been disappointing for me.
K2 doesn't use the "cake sponge" (big pored) so it is the most promising to me.

Edit: K2 is certainly not my cup of tea nor similar to my experiences with STN and BD. It does play close to a tightly tacky, somewhat boosted Chinese rubber, maybe a Palio or a Sword rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
For me, tacky rubbers such as Genesis II are less spin sensitive in the short game such as pushes, touch shots close to the net etc, as they don't have such a bouncy reaction to them. However, the cost in this is some loss of top end speed if you don't properly engage your core when hitting loops and counters. I have had people tell me they thought my serves were even a bit more spinny when using Genesis II (and the original Genesis). I'm not sure if that was just perception because it was tacky, and not actuality, or if they were really having more difficulty with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe to get the maximum mileage out of his rubber ?

Do you get more mileage from hybrid? Or was this a joke haha?

I think hybrids proably are better for cars! Never liked the hybrids i have tried, But only Tried them fast.

Reactions: nivekkan
Try Xiom Tau. Its better than Vega China. More tacky, harder and with more impuls, very fast. Best for FH aggressive offence. More spinny than Vega China. Great looping. Smashes are better than with chinese tacky rubbers, though not so good as with regular tensors. Faster than T05. Spin is at T64 level, grab is like H3Neo. Can't say about lifespan.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Always remembered the Palio Drunken Dragon as a super fun rubber to play with!

But for the modern era.... I liked the Omega V Asia and the VS 402 Limber. If I have a chance to try a new hybrid rubber. Would surely go with the K-1!

A not so hybrid you might want to take a look at - The Tibhar MX-S. Great grip, high level of spin and when you work it. Has a very good spin/speed ratio.

Cheers!

Your opinion only but not necessarily true. The Tau felt too hard and felt like a brick. In my place people hated the Tau but loves the Vega China instead.

QUOTE=langel;271623]Try Xiom Tau. Its better than Vega China. More tacky, harder and with more impuls, very fast. Best for FH aggressive offence. More spinny than Vega China. Great looping. Smashes are better than with chinese tacky rubbers, though not so good as with regular tensors. Faster than T05. Spin is at T64 level, grab is like H3Neo. Can't say about lifespan.[/QUOTE]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I also had a chance to glue Vega China for a fellow of mine , blade was Balsa Carbo X5 , he gets very spiny topspins and steady blocks , reactive combo , similar to tensor quality regarding direct shots , my vote goes to it

This user has no status.
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. It seems the consensus is Genesis 2 and Vega China. I probably will try BlueGrip as well.

Why Do you want a hybrid?

I've always used Chinese tacky rubbers for FH (first 729 08, then H3). Six months ago, I switched to Yinhe Jupiter 2. I feel like I've improved my FH enough to upgrade to a faster rubber. Another reason I'm trying to replace Jupiter 2 is that it's factory tuned. The booster effect goes away after about a month. So I'm looking for a tacky rubber that's faster and without the need to be boosted.