deciding on a tenergy

This user has no status.
hi all!I am new here and not really familiar with this website,i apologize in advance if i had done anything wrong.I am deciding on either a t05,t80 or t64 for my backhand.I am currently using mantra m and felt like its lacking a little power.I like to banana flip serves,punch and topspin at a close to mid distance.I value control over speed and have been playing for around 10 years.i train 4 times a week 4 hours each session.thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Either T80 or T05 from what you are saying you like. I have not seen so many players play with T80, and I've never tried it myself so I can't really give you an insight of that rubber. But from my experience, and many others, TO5 on backhand is perfect.

This user has no status.
Errrrr...

All three Tenergy versions will allow you to flip serves, play punches and topspins at a close to mid range distance (that is basic table tennis). I have played with T05 for years myself and thought it fits my backhand perfectly. Nowadays I feel like T64 fits my backhand even better. If you ask me, the difference between those two versions is huge, especially regarding the ball's bounce. I have never tried T80 on my own blade but a bunch of players in my club say that this is their perfect Tenergy version...

To cut a long story short: We can't tell which one is the best for you. If you have the possibility to try them out (e.g. from other club members) you should definitely do this. Alternatively and considering your immense training workload, T05 would be the "play it safe" solution for you that won't disappoint you most likely. But only if you try out the other versions as well you will know which one is your personal favorite.

Maybe the following video can help your decision making

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is how I would go about it .. play with tenergy 05 Hard on the forehand and tenergy 05 regular on the backhand ... try it for atleast 2-3 months and once you have adapted compare your results, strengths and weaknesses to your current setup ...
and then you can calibrate ...

what this will do is give you a chance to try both Tenergy 05 regular and hard on the forehand if you just flip ... the reason I suggested Hard is because you are a Hurricane user and Hard plays closer to Hurricane than the regular .

After trying it for 3 months , based on how it goes , you might want a little more power and linearity on the backhand , then you can go for 64 ( the pips are bigger but spaced out ) .. so there is less arc, more power and slightly less spin than 05 ...

Some people like 05 Soft on the backhand , but I was never a big fan and neither were my coaches ( who were butterfly sponsored and pretty accomplished at the international level ) .. so I would not recommend soft .

I have heard people say here that T25 is a fundamentally different rubber than the others ... and I haven't played with it ... so cannot comment , neither have I played with T80 or Dignics ( nor do I intend to pay butterfly 105 $ USD for one sheet of Dignics in foreseeable future unless I wake up and become a millionaire tomorrow ) .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How good are you? how good are your backhand? think many do not benefit enough from the rubber to justify the cost. Need to be a certain level to be able to benefit from it compared to other rubbers i think.

My advice is to try T80 first.
T05 is a ckassic pair to H3Neo, but is demanding.
T80 is ballanced in speed-spin and topspin-chop throw angle. T64 has a higher underspin throw and need technique calibration with serves and pushes.
But it all depend on personal style and preferences.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
You may notice the bounciness of T05 in the short game. I hope you are ready for it, or at least willing to spend a longer time to adapt.

Reactions: thomas.pong